The Student Room Group

Long Jury Duty during exam

I got selected for jury duty, now I'm gonna be put on a panel for a long trial going for 5 weeks.

Initially I was called for 23ish March, but I deferred it because of my deadlines for uni.
Then my university's workshop flooded and so I lost time in creating my physical model and got an extension for that module.
But now that extension fell in the middle of my jury service, so I had to ask my uni for a retrieval deadline instead, they accepted my offer.

And now I was called for a long trial that'll OBVIOUSLY ruin my chances of passing this module. I wrote my situation but it apparently wasn't enough for the judge to excuse me??

I'm so so stressed now, what do I even do
Reply 1
No need to stress. Your uni will have to give you the extra time while on jury duty. It’s the same as if you were working, your employer would need to give you the time off. Including if they’ve already given you one. Your reason and rationale are perfectly clear and valid.

Just have to request another extension, which should be given. Talk to your supervisor/department about what would be best to do as well and should all work out.

Outside of significant hardship or extenuating circumstances, it’s always unlikely you’ll be relieved from jury duty, especially if it’s just for uni deadlines.
Strange that they only deferred it by a month or two, both times I got mine deferred it was for 6 months each.

Have they specifically rejected an application to be excused? Both times I made it politely clear I simply wasn't going to comply due to my circumstances and they went for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending