The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by tazza ma razza
Finally agar is playing

Think a lot of Australian fans and ex-pros were (rightfully) unhappy with the way they treated him in England during the summer of 2013.
Original post by Mackay
Think a lot of Australian fans and ex-pros were (rightfully) unhappy with the way they treated him in England during the summer of 2013.

is starc not playing wt20 - he wasn't in the squad?!?!
Reply 722
Original post by tazza ma razza
is starc not playing wt20 - he wasn't in the squad?!?!

He wrote off his chances of recovering in time last month.
India reeling against this young SL attack.
Reply 724
Fair play to SA. They batted imperiously today. They were absolutely ruthless. De Kock is such a good cricketer - and the most impressive thing is his calmness, and ability to pick his spot and just place the ball there with aplomb.

He has a strike rate of 120 in this series, and is now the youngest man to strike 10 ODI centuries at the age of just 23.

This is the first time ever that a team has successfully chased a target over 300 in an ODI at Centurion, so you've got to point your finger at the England bowlers.

I actually didn't think they did much wrong. Sure, there isn't much variation between Willey and Topley - and you can probably argue for Broad to be included sooner rather than later - but they bowled well enough and Rashid mixed things up.

Wickets were always going to be important, but England allowed Amla and De Kock to play themselves in and today acts as a good reality check for them.
Leave Broad. He's getting too old to be an all format cricketer, and he'll be absolutely essential in the post-Anderson world. The only way our current white ball crop will get better is by playing them and putting them in high pressure situations. Apart from Jordan. Drop Jordan.

Think Willey and Topley both have potential (and I don't think they're similar bowlers, left armers aside), I rate Woakes a lot higher in ODIs than Tests, and a fit Finn will add a lot to our attack- although his workload will have to be managed. And anyway, by the 2019 World Cup the Currans will have taken over the world.
Reply 726
Original post by Louis.
Leave Broad. He's getting too old to be an all format cricketer, and he'll be absolutely essential in the post-Anderson world. The only way our current white ball crop will get better is by playing them and putting them in high pressure situations. Apart from Jordan. Drop Jordan.

Think Willey and Topley both have potential (and I don't think they're similar bowlers, left armers aside), I rate Woakes a lot higher in ODIs than Tests, and a fit Finn will add a lot to our attack- although his workload will have to be managed. And anyway, by the 2019 World Cup the Currans will have taken over the world.

I wouldn't have Woakes or Jordan anywhere near the white-ball set-up.

Likely squad for tomorrow's announcement: Morgan (capt); Hales, Roy, Vince, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Billings, Moeen Ali, Jordan, Woakes, Willey, Rashid, Finn, Topley.
Reply 727
Woakes misses out!

Morgan (capt), Moeen Ali, Billings, Buttler, Dawson, Finn, Hales, Jordan, Rashid, Root, Roy, Stokes, Topley, Vince, Willey.
Reply 728
What a day's cricket in NZ.

Obviously, Australia had the better of the conditions. Ever since Smith won the toss, you had a feeling NZ were on a hiding to nothing. I love McCullum - and it was a shame to see him get a duck - but I can't help but feel he kind of shot his side in the foot by being so overtly pessimistic once he'd lost the toss. He said that "any score" around 300 would be "above par" - so NZ's batsman were already on the back foot, mentally and physically.

Australia's seamers made the most of the green conditions and caused havoc in that morning session. Getting NZ five wickets down for 50 runs was a remarkable feat. Siddle bowled exceptionally, as did Hazlewood. The pair of them sought out the inside edges, and outside edges, and it was no coincidence seven of NZ's wickets were taken behind (what a catch for the second by Nevill, by the way).

In truth, Bird just isn't a Test cricketer. While Lyon mopped up the tail, I thought Bird toiled and his figures of 0-54 allowed NZ to score some runs and attack when they were on the ropes.

It's a shame the pitch got less like a minefield, because I'd have loved to have seen a repeat of Trent Bridge and seen the Australians bowled out swiftly. Khawaja is a class apart, and Smith is rediscovering some form, which is good to see.

That 'no ball' call, though. Christ. Farcical. The umpires need to have a look at themselves.
How many times will we have to rely on Joe Root to save us in all 3 formats... utter rubbish from the rest of the batsmen. Well played Root, into the 90's!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 730
How many times will Hales fail to convert a half-century into a ton? Decent total by England, really, given the fact they were reduced to 108-5.
Usman Khawaja is just straight up owning right now
Reply 732
I was surprised to see SA win that yesterday, but I guess England's fielding (especially dropping Chris Morris!) and Morgan's captaincy let them down.

I've been clamouring for Broad to be selected, but he showed that his future lies in red-ball and - given his age, and the need for game management - I don't think he has a limited overs future for England. We need him wrapped in cotton wool for when Jimmy retires.

Morris batted superbly and got SA over the line, but a lack of decent captaincy is on show from both Morgan and ABDV. Morgan allowed SA to play themselves in - especially Duminy and Wiese - when they were fresh at the crease. He persisted with Rashid and Ali's bowling, rather than deploying the seamers.

SA win another game in pink, though. Fair play to them. Credit to Tahir, who bowled superbly, and roll on Cape Town on Sunday.

Oh... and just a word on Joe Root: tremendous. The guy is a supreme batsman, and probably my favourite to watch consistently (along with Kohli). Only Trescothick (12) and KP (9) have more ODI hundreds than Root (8) now.
Reply 733
Poor NZ, by the way. Up against two of the in-form batsman in the world - Voges and Khawaja - on a pitch which is doing nothing after being a minefield during their own innings.

Credit to Voges, though. Five Test centuries now. This is Australia's Test, which is unfortunate, given that it is also B-Mac's 100th.

NZ have only won the toss against Australia 3 times out of 15 since 2009.

Unlucky bastards.
Two ODI records I kind of wish we didn't have:

-Ian Bell is our highest ever ODI run scorer
-Jonathan Trott has our highest ever average

Root to break them both :pierre:

Spoiler

If Adam Voges retired now he'd have a higher average than the Don. Insane!
Reply 736
Original post by The Wavefunction
If Adam Voges retired now he'd have a higher average than the Don. Insane!

Khawaja said he may start calling his batting partner "Sir Voges" in a nod to Bradman.
Original post by Mackay
Khawaja said he may start calling his batting partner "Sir Voges" in a nod to Bradman.

Haha! If he's still doing it in 40 tests time he may have a point.
Reply 738
Original post by The Wavefunction
Haha! If he's still doing it in 40 tests time he may have a point.

Quite like Voges and Khawaja, if I'm honest. They aren't as overtly arrogant or brash as some Australian players (ahem, Warner and Smith).

Anybody catch the India/SL T20 yesterday? Absolute dust bowl of a wicket.
Is it just me who saw Virat Kohli bought in the PSL auction few months ago? I was sure I saw on Twitter the Karachi Kings had bought him - but realised not seen any Indian players in this tournament which tbf, can't blame the organisers for doing so considering Pakistani players aren't involved in the IPL. But is my memory playing tricks on me in relation to Kohli?

Quick Reply

Latest