The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

ECB considering trialling dropping the toss in div 2 matches.

"The away team would choose whether to bat, bowl or still have a toss if the pitch condition was uncertain"

That last option :rofl:
Original post by Louis.
ECB considering trialling dropping the toss in div 2 matches.

"The away team would choose whether to bat, bowl or still have a toss if the pitch condition was uncertain"

That last option :rofl:

wtf and why to the last option
Reply 122
Ridiculous.

Some rules of the game need to be kept - and it's funny how this all rears its head in a week where the first day/night Test with the pink ball is played in Adelaide.

Some things should remain sacred.
Reply 123
Also, the jury has retired to consider their verdict in the Cairns case.
Original post by Angry cucumber
wtf and why to the last option

I guess if the aim of the protocol is to stop blatantly doctored pitches favouring batting or bowling first, then if the pitch cannot be called easily, you may opt to go to the toss and perhaps let the other side make the decision (i.e. a good toss to lose)?
Reply 125
Really poor pitch in the first day of the Test between India and SA today. 12 wickets falling! Remarkable. I'm excited to see the day and night Test tomorrow, even if the pink ball is creating controversy.
Original post by Mackay
Really poor pitch in the first day of the Test between India and SA today. 12 wickets falling! Remarkable. I'm excited to see the day and night Test tomorrow, even if the pink ball is creating controversy.

Will be finished within 3 days, most likely.
Reply 127
Saw a really good interview with Ben Stokes, arguing that SA suits his style and he's champing at the bit to get started.

KP, meanwhile, has criticised the ECB's handling of Buttler and said they shouldn't have dropped him.
Reply 128
Original post by Mackay

Posted from TSR Mobile

20 fell on the second day.. Amla, de villiers and du plessis have to all play well tomorrow to win this.
Reply 129
This Test is rubbish. You know that world cricket is in a dire state when India are struggling against spin, which they did yesterday, but SA are really struggling playing on a pitch as bad as this. This is hardly a spectacle.
No competition at all, Day 1 pitches play like Day 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 131
I hope the T20 and Test in Adelaide excite me more. I want some decent cricket today.
Original post by Mackay

india knock over SA fro the lowest of 79 all out. now they need 278 left to win. this pitch makes me laugh when i recall non indians moaning about dust bowl easy-century-making wickets. when england skittle a team for 100 on a grass filled pitch under a cloudy sky its " wow amazing seam bowling england"
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 133
Original post by Chakede
india knock over SA fro the lowest of 79 all out. now they need 278 left to win. this pitch makes me laugh when i recall non indians moaning about dust bowl easy-century-making wickets. when england skittle a team for 100 on a grass filled pitch under a cloudy sky its " wow amazing seam bowling england"

I actually have sympathy with Indian cricketers and the current team for wanting home pitches that turn well and take spin from the first day of a five day Test. It must be remembered, of course, that international pitches seam and bounce and cause them problems from the first day when they travel.

Still, it's no spectacle, is it?
Reply 134
England
Hales, Roy, Vince, Morgan, Billings, Ali, Rashid, Jordan, Plunkett, Parry, Topley

Pakistan
Mohmand, Ahmed, Hafeez, Rizwan, Maqsood, Akmal, Afridi, Anwar Ali, Tanvir, Riaz, Khan
Reply 135
Interesting. Not sure what is to gain from leaving Buttler out. Fair enough, he has played a lot of cricket, but he just hit that hundred and now doesn't seem like the best time to omit him again. Billings probably deserves a look at, but come on. Buttler was supreme last week and I'd have liked to see him play today.

Shame Willey makes way, too.
Give me the pitch we're seeing in India over recent ones in Australia any day of the week.
Original post by Chakede

I've no problem with bowler friendly pitches, wherever they are - they certainly provide a more entertaining and contested match than a batting friendly pitch.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/34937939

The coin toss is being scrapped if the visiting team will bowl first in County Championship. Is nothing sacred?
Original post by Mackay
I actually have sympathy with Indian cricketers and the current team for wanting home pitches that turn well and take spin from the first day of a five day Test. It must be remembered, of course, that international pitches seam and bounce and cause them problems from the first day when they travel.

Still, it's no spectacle, is it?

actually the best indian pitches are pretty flat in days 1-2 and then from 3 start deteriorating fast till day4-5 its a spitting cobra. this makes for the best cricket matches i have ever seen ( ie see Kolkata 2001 india v indestructible aussies)

however to acheive such a pitch requires massive skill and also a lot of luck with weather , if the heat is too great and no underlying moisture, then it will crack up from day 2. this pitch is like this but no disaster area - india scored av 200+ over the two innings. SA were bamboozeld and also they havent found a way of playing ashwin yet, when the pitch turns.

to an indian a pitch that seams sideways on day 1 whenevr the bowler manages to lands it on the seam is far too helpful for the seamers. in england grass can last 4 days and yu get 4 new balls a match - england conditions are massively stacked fro seam bowling.

Quick Reply

Latest