The Student Room Group

Pray for Paris...but what about Beirut

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
This is the most superficial thread I've ever seen...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by driftawaay
I have already answered this in another thread, so I will just copy + paste it:

+1
Reply 42
Original post by GailQ
Lots of people have been making this argument and I get where they're coming from but at the end of the day if you're saying that the fact that "all lives matter" means that there should be equal coverage, then every murder ought to be covered. But I don't see anyone saying that, so what's the real basis for this argument?
I don't think unequal coverage means anyone is saying that one person is more important than another, it's just a reality that:
A) In countries where terrorist attacks are less likely to happen and occur less frequently, attacks tend to provoke more of a reaction. Of course the media jump on stories they know will grab more attention, they have no moral compass.

B) People tend to care more when they identify more closely with those affected (not saying this is right) so when a Western nation is attacked people in the West care more. And since the West dominates mass media and social media, it seems like the "World" cares more.

I also don't think people should be making this a racist issue; every time you label something as racist when it isn't, it makes the fight against real racism harder.
People seem to forget that 200+ white Russians were killed in a plane crash quite recently and no one made much fuss. I haven't seen anyone mention it in this thread either...

It was not covered at all, it was not even mentioned. It should have at least been mentioned. I don't believe "all lives matter" means necessarily equal coverage, I never made that argument myself. But all life, especially in the context of a mass killing, should be acknowledged. That is my argument. In an hour news slot, why was it not mentioned?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by driftawaay
I have already answered this in another thread, so I will just copy + paste it:

The whole thing is completely ridiculous. People don't care about places like Nigeria and Lebanon and other third world places because if they did, they would be mourning some tragedy on Facebook every.single.day. It's only normal that Western people are more shaken by the Paris attack, seeing as this sort of this doesn't happen on our doorstep very often, and seeing as this is an attack on all of *Western* civilization and everyone knows it could've been their city so it just hits close to home. The whole ISIS thing, they attack one European city, they attack all of us. When people get murdered or bombed in some third world country that we know nothing about, nobody thinks 'this could have been me and my friends' or 'our country is next' ttherefore it is normal that we don't stay up crying about it. We can't cry about everything that goes on in the world every single day. We are all more concerned about what happens to us than what happens to people on the other side of the planet.

Basically, people are so upset by the Paris attack because Paris being attacked means all of us on the continent are in danger and can expect to be attacked here in the UK soon. Countries in the Middle East have deadly attacks/bombs going on all the time but it doesn't mean we are in danger in Europe. If European cities got bombed or terrosists shot some people on the regular, there wouldn't be as much of a shock and outrage going on right now.

Whilst I understand what you are saying, and I do agree with you, other instances of mass attacks by IS should not have been completely overlooked during the BBC News. They wrote an article, but I believe that it should have been made much more explicit, even if they had mentioned it briefly.
Original post by queen-bee
Where have I said that? But they deserve more recognition than what they've gotten

They get coverage. But it's a case of 'chaotic thing happens in chaotic part of the world.'
Original post by Eveiebaby
More than anyone else's and at the expense of countries with bigger death tolls?
It's a completely disproportionate and shamefully selfish reaction.

These things are expected in Muslim nations, they are not in developed societies.

Also, yes. Your average Frenchman contributes far more to the world than somebody from Lebanon.

Yes, it is selfish. That's not a bad thing though.
Reply 46
Original post by GailQ
So your argument is that since all lives should be acknowledged then it should have been mentioned? That still doesn't really explain why all murders should not then be covered. But of course, you can't cover all murders because it would be impractical.
The question is why you feel that this particular incident ought to have been mentioned? If the answer lies in numbers, you get into the question of how many lives must be taken for an incident to be deemed worthy of news coverage which doesn't sound right to me.
My point is that ideally one incident should not be treated with more importance than another, but realistically and practically this is bound to happen.

My argument is that a nation such as Lebanon or Baghdad are worth at least a minute of BBC News airtime, to mention that there has been mass murder, let's remember, by IS too. I believe in that sense, the murders were linked and relevant since they were both surrounding IS and drew even more questioning to the fact of why it wasn't covered AT ALL on the news. There was contrast between the amount of recognition given to France and the lack of even a mention on BBC.

I really hope that this isn't an issue of race as you mentioned before, but the reality of it is that levels of Islamophobia increase after these such events - even though Muslims are usually the victims. As people are highlighting "they are being bombed all of the time". If ordinary people appreciated the fact that Muslims are dying at the hands of IS too, they would realise that it isn't "us" and them", and in fact more people are victims than they realise.

I agree that it would be impractical for ALL murders to be publicised on the BBC News, there simply would not be enough time. However, in the case of a mass killing, surely this deserves a minute or even a moment of time. It is VERY relevant to the Paris bombing, to recognise that IS are enemies to Muslims, as well as Christians and Jews and many other members of the world.
Attacks on Paris will have massive geo-political consequences.
Beirut is essentially a warzone. Bombings happen all the time.
We're also in the West, so naturally Western media focuses more on stories closer to home.
This has nothing to do with racism or thinking some people's lives are "worth more than others". If you honestly believe that you're probably a bit thick.
I completely agree with you. I understand that more people would be worried about Paris as its closer to us and this stuff doesn't really happen. But theres other places which has to go through this quite alot yet we don't do much to help.
I don't agree that the Paris bombings should have got as much media attention as it has done, bearing in mind the attacks in Iraq, Lebanon AND Kenya.
Kenya has also been attacked by terrorsts in the last few days, but "Oh no, African's are used to suffering - we don't give a **** about them"

Only white lives matter evidently..
go to Africa then. this is europe. eejit.

Original post by LydiaIbbi
I'm sure some of you will know that there was an attack by IS in the capital of Lebanon, as well as in Paris.
I have been really disgusted at how little the media have paid attention to this attack, as well as the attack in Baghdad. Surely some of these news channels have an obligation to make us aware of worldwide terror attacks, especially when these channels are a public service, such as the BBC.

Surely all innocent loss of life in the context of a terror attack should be documented for us to see, rather than overlooked.

My personal opinion is that Lebanon is viewed by the West as a country with a much larger Muslim population than France, a "Muslim country" if you will, despite the fact that Muslims are only just a majority in Lebanon. Therefore, perhaps the media don't want to highlight that IS kill MUSLIMS too, as well as non-Muslims, as that would detract away from the media's narrative of "Muslims VS the West" and would also detract away from the fact that IS and Islam are not the same.

What are your views on this?
lebanon is a tourist hotspot and is not your regular muslim spot.its known for clubbing etc.

besides this is the UK. we dont cover football games on the other side of the world as much. its that simple.
Original post by Tabstercat
Attacks on Paris will have massive geo-political consequences.
Beirut is essentially a warzone. Bombings happen all the time.
We're also in the West, so naturally Western media focuses more on stories closer to home.
This has nothing to do with racism or thinking some people's lives are "worth more than others". If you honestly believe that you're probably a bit thick.

Erm no. Beirut has been relatively 'peaceful' up till Thursday
Original post by drowzee
Completely agree with what has been said here. It's so sad that the other attacks have not had much media attention at all, clearly shows which lives matter more to people.

What happened in Paris was horrendous, and I'm not disputing that, but it makes me sad that no one is really caring for the other people. The terrorist attack in Kenya resulted in 147 dead, more than the Paris attacks. I really don't like comparing two atrocities, but I just wanted to shed some light. Pray for the whole world :frown:

I feel like I need to point out that the Kenya incident where Al Shabab killed over 100 university students happened 7 months ago in April. I'm shocked at the number of people who thought it happened in the last few days
Original post by Achaea
Can you cite the evidence which demonstrates that only white people were killed in Paris?

Including other Muslims, apparently.

Finally wome sense. The 'totting up' of different attacks over the past couple of days and criticism when we (understandably) don't pay as much attention to attacks in the Middle East or Africa, is starting to get very annoying. It is pretty obvious why this would get more coverage in western countries.

And I agree with your first point, Lassana Diarra's cousin was killed, so yes it's not 'only white lives matter' - http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34824135
Original post by childofthesun
Erm no. Beirut has been relatively 'peaceful' up till Thursday

Yeah, relatively. Still absolutely nothing like an attack on the streets of Paris.
I don't agree that the Paris bombings should have got as much media attention as it has done, bearing in mind the attacks in Iraq, Lebanon AND Kenya.
Kenya has also been attacked by terrorsts in the last few days, but "Oh no, African's are used to suffering - we don't give a **** about them"

Only white lives matter evidently..

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
More people died than paris. It's quite evident who's lives mattered more.

Also quite evident neither of you know what you're taking about. The Kenyan university massacre happened in April and it received a lot of coverage... :facepalm:
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Also quite evident neither of you know what you're taking about. The Kenyan university massacre happened in April and it received a lot of coverage... :facepalm:

Apologies, but the article has been updated and that's probably why many of us assumed it happened around the same time, clearly we weren't being very observant but then again I don't feel like it got enough coverage, especially if so many of us are confusing the events :/

I still stand by my point regardless. It still applies, especially when we talk about the happenings in Beirut.
Original post by Tabstercat
Yeah, relatively. Still absolutely nothing like an attack on the streets of Paris.

I just needed to point out to you that Beirut is not a 'war zone' like you stated..
Original post by MrKmas508
Muslims kill other Muslims everyday with bullets,bombs and machetes, that's nothing new. The reason why the Paris attack matter more is because it could of been us, we are a European nation with a sizeable fifth column ourselves and that attack could've easily of happened in London or Birmingham or Bradford. When we look at the French we see ourselves but when we see Muslims killing each other its just animals being animals fulfilling their natural urges. The Beirut bombings I belief was done by a Sunni in a Shia neighbourhood and I'm sorry if it sounds harsh but sectarian violence (Northern Ireland was political) is what primitive people do. I don't know why but this attack has affected me (not directly at all) more than any other terrorist attack that I've ever heard about, at the pit of my stomach I feel anxiety and in my arms I feel anger. I want to do something but there's nothing I can do, I've got to wait till I get over it but it's already been 2 days.

Just 'animals being animals'? Really? Do you genuinely view Muslims as inferior individuals whose lives just don't matter? You do realise Muslims live in Europe and could die from terror attacks too right? I mean you care for European lives obviously, but does the fact those Europeans happen to be Muslim mean your level of caring suddenly goes down to zero?

What an absolutely disgusting comment.
Original post by teenhorrorstory

Honestly :facepalm:
+1 I saw your other post here and I wish I could rep it too.

I like that people care and stuff. But seriously as far as I know, no one in Africa is complaining about not getting western media coverage. In fact last time I checked western media is constantly covering terrorist attacks that happen here. When the chibok girls were taken there was so much support from all over the world it was overwhelming. At the one year anniversary of their kidnapping a bunch of white people in the UK held a rememberance thing for them.

The west obviously care about all lives but they can't change their profile pictures every single time a bomb goes off in the Middle East or Africa or make a news story about it (and they actually do though)
It just so happens that the Lebanon bombings happen at around the same time as the Paris thing. If that wasn't the case Lebanon would be getting far more media coverage than now.

Speaking of which @childofthesun :console: :hugs:

You would think people living in Africa/ME would be the ones who have the most empathy and compassion for France as we know what it's like to lose loved ones to terror. But no. Some people can't stand it when they're not the victims and that's absolutely disgusting.
(edited 8 years ago)
The Paris attacks were the deadliest attacks on France since the Second World War

The Lebanon attacks were much of a muchness in a region that is awash with blood on a seemingly daily basis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending