The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think the general advice we can gather from this thread is;

Don't listen to your parents :eek:

&

Visit as many places as possible before you apply :smile:

I think knowing that should set me in good staed for my application process :biggrin:
I wish I'd applied for History not English at all my Uni's- then I could have applied to Warwick, York etc.....English is so competitve I applied to less well known Uni's and feel I could have aimed a bit higher, even tho I'm thrilled to be going to Birmingham!!!
Reply 62
I ended up getting offers from all 6 unis, maybe i should of aimed higher but then again hindsight is a beautiful thing.....plus i've decided to go to a ex-poly in portsmouth university over offers from leeds,cardiff and liverpool so i'm kinda contradicting myself lol....but i just loved portsmouth when i visited...
I wish I'd have not bothered about filling up the 6 spaces on my UCAS, I only wanted to apply to 3 or possibly 4, but I was told to 'get my money's worth'.:rolleyes: Kinda felt like I was wasting the Unis' time. Otherwise no regrets, I've firmed the Uni I've wanted to go to since to beginning of Year 12:biggrin:
Reply 64
Hen
I wish I'd applied for History not English at all my Uni's- then I could have applied to Warwick, York etc.....English is so competitve I applied to less well known Uni's and feel I could have aimed a bit higher, even tho I'm thrilled to be going to Birmingham!!!

Trust me, History is just as bad! I know people with 10 A* at GCSE etc. who got rejected from pretty much everywhere. Birmingham is a great uni though, so well done!!
Reply 65
:ditto:
Reply 66
Yeh - I wouldn't have applied to York or Lancaster, but I would have aimed a little lower for two choices where I would still be happy going. Also, I chose COMPELTELY the wrong College for me at Cambridge - possibly go for something more modern if I re-apply, maybe the same at Durham. Biggest regreat though was not putting Eng Lit on my UCAS form. Dumb ass school DIDN'T TELL ME I didn't need to decline a grade A even though I was re-sitting because it couldn't change!!! Oh well, re-application here we come :smile:
Reply 67
Probably should have just chose some "higher" universities just to prove I could have gone there. Predicted over 400 points if I hit all my targets...wouldn't have chosen those unis as my firm though. Happy to go to worcester, even though many people will snub it because it requires low points. Close to home :smile:
Reply 68
I wish I'd applied to East Anglia instead of Lancaster.
Would have applied to UCL, (and no doubt been rejected), rather than Sussex.
Thinking of it now I have a couple of regrets. I wish I never applied to Royal Holloway - stupid uni, it was such a waste of a choice! I kind of feel the same about sussex! I should have chosen KCL and UCL instead!
I'm also beginning to think shoukd hae just applied to do law instead of english and philosophy, I have a horrible feeling that its all going to go wrong - even though my original plans were toconvert my degree doing the lpc course after uni.
I knowI can swap overmy courses from joint to single honours, however I ont think they'd let me change my whole degree in general - particularly as this is nottingham or warwick I'm planning to go to!
Does anyone have any idea if it would be possible for me to change courses- without having to reapply next year?
thnx
xXx
.Laura. <3
I wish I'd have not bothered about filling up the 6 spaces on my UCAS, I only wanted to apply to 3 or possibly 4, but I was told to 'get my money's worth'.:rolleyes: Kinda felt like I was wasting the Unis' time. Otherwise no regrets, I've firmed the Uni I've wanted to go to since to beginning of Year 12:biggrin:

haha omg ur doing the exact same subjects as me hehe.
I knew I wouldn't go further North than Hertfordshire but I wish I'd applied to unis a bit higher just to see if I could get in...
Reply 73
*glowstickchubby*
Thinking of it now I have a couple of regrets. I wish I never applied to Royal Holloway - stupid uni, it was such a waste of a choice! I kind of feel the same about sussex! I should have chosen KCL and UCL instead!
I'm also beginning to think shoukd hae just applied to do law instead of english and philosophy, I have a horrible feeling that its all going to go wrong - even though my original plans were toconvert my degree doing the lpc course after uni.
I knowI can swap overmy courses from joint to single honours, however I ont think they'd let me change my whole degree in general - particularly as this is nottingham or warwick I'm planning to go to!
Does anyone have any idea if it would be possible for me to change courses- without having to reapply next year?
thnx
xXx

whats wrong with rhul :frown:
*glowstickchubby*
haha omg ur doing the exact same subjects as me hehe.

For A Level :biggrin: ?
*glowstickchubby*
thnx
xXx

You could email/phone general undergraduate admissions and ask, but with those being top unis and law being so competitive, I doubt they'll let you switch, to be honest. But at least if you reapply, it'll be less stressful because you'll already have your grades and you can give KCL and UCL a shot.
Reply 76
I regret not being able to visit Warwick before I applied, but I added it at the last minute because I decided that I wouldn't go to Sheffield even if it was the only offer I received. Advice for next year's applicants:
-Visit the place (try to do more than just an open day, stick around in the afternoon and look around the area, ask questions, be honest with yourself)
-Try not to be influenced by your school, parents and peers
-Look really carefully at course modules
-Try not to fall in love with one place or course in case your application there is unsuccessful.
Try not to be influenced by your school, parents and peers

That point I agree with most. :s-smilie:
.Laura. <3
For A Level :biggrin: ?

YUP HEHE! :biggrin:
However I'm Currently Failing biology misserably :frown:
mally06
whats wrong with rhul :frown:

They just messed me around, regecting me for english & philosophy,not replying to my emaiklsor telling me the reason for my rejection for over 3 months.
Then they decided to accept me for a degree in management and economics :confused:
I'm just a bit bitter thats all!

Enjoy it though, it looks like a beautiful place.

Latest

Trending

Trending