The Student Room Group

GCSE Mock Exams, can someone help me/ revising

I'm not too sure on how to revise to be frank. I've got a Chemistry test coming up soon and I really do need to get a high grade, to show my improvements, since I got a U last time Unit 3... Plus, I'm not sure how to memorise my speaking assessment for German, because I know we're talking about holidays, but apparently he's not allowed to give us any questions so I'm not sure if I would even understand what he's saying to be honest, since our old teacher didn't teach us anything and we've barely learnt much, it's taking place next week.. I've searched for questions that could come up but still, what happens if he says something different, I wouldn't possibly understand it.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My only advice:
Do NOT get the 2015 papers before the mocks. In your real exams, you will not have that kind of boost. Treat your mocks as a trial run, then you will know what areas you need to improve upon. Plus, it'll look suspicious AF if you do the mocks, get an A* from a U, then they quiz you and you don't know anything.

Don't cheat - you're only going to throw away the chance at having something to revise from come summer.
QFA
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by celloel
My only advice:
Do NOT get the 2015 papers before the mocks. In your real exams, you will not have that kind of boost. Treat your mocks as a trial run, then you will know what areas you need to improve upon. Plus, it'll look suspicious AF if you do the mocks, get an A* from a U, then they quiz you and you don't know anything.

Don't cheat - you're only going to throw away the chance at having something to revise from come summer.

That's true but I suppose it'll prepare me for the questions and past papers are useful for me to revise from anyway. But I really don't want it to be a trial run, in year ten I also had mocks and they were awful but then again I didn't revise so it explained it. Yet, I really don't know how to memorise so much information and I know there's others taking more GCSE'S than me but I'm not really too bright. The Chemistry test isn't a mock, it's just a Unit 3, because I got a U like everyone else except those who cheated, and I did revise for that one but it was only section A, however now it's the full unit but I don't know. CGP guides don't contain that much information, that's what my teacher said but she didn't recommend anything else.
Reply 4
Original post by Magical
That's true but I suppose it'll prepare me for the questions and past papers are useful for me to revise from anyway. But I really don't want it to be a trial run, in year ten I also had mocks and they were awful but then again I didn't revise so it explained it. Yet, I really don't know how to memorise so much information and I know there's others taking more GCSE'S than me but I'm not really too bright. The Chemistry test isn't a mock, it's just a Unit 3, because I got a U like everyone else except those who cheated, and I did revise for that one but it was only section A, however now it's the full unit but I don't know. CGP guides don't contain that much information, that's what my teacher said but she didn't recommend anything else.

Preparing yourself for the questions isn't going to help you. You won't know what you knew from yourself and what you knew because you cheated. Do the exams as if they were the real things, trust me doing that benefitted me. (from a C in December to an A in the real exam in one subject, for example).

For the Sciences, I'd recommend getting the actual textbook from the examining board. I had AQA and the revision books they made were absolutely brilliant. Go through each topic, make brief notes, quiz yourself using topic questions (usually in the textbook). Then mark the questions, go back over what you don't know, redo the questions. Keep doing that until you get them right.
I have these all. However I will NOT give them to you. Do not ruin the last opportunity you have to see where you're actually at before the exams. Don't do it.
Reply 6
Original post by celloel
Preparing yourself for the questions isn't going to help you. You won't know what you knew from yourself and what you knew because you cheated. Do the exams as if they were the real things, trust me doing that benefitted me. (from a C in December to an A in the real exam in one subject, for example).

For the Sciences, I'd recommend getting the actual textbook from the examining board. I had AQA and the revision books they made were absolutely brilliant. Go through each topic, make brief notes, quiz yourself using topic questions (usually in the textbook). Then mark the questions, go back over what you don't know, redo the questions. Keep doing that until you get them right.

I'll try, and I guess, but the school made us buy the CGP books so that's all I thought we kinda needed since they didn't give us anything else. Plus, I've seen the AQA books before, one time I think, but I don't know which ones since I think there's different versions? and stuff.
QFA
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iMacJack
I have these all. However I will NOT give them to you. Do not ruin the last opportunity you have to see where you're actually at before the exams. Don't do it.

I agree! Plus its unfair on those who put the work in! Just revise as you would for the actual exams?
These papers are locked for a reason - mocks are to help you to practise for the summer. How can they be realistic when you know the content?
Reply 10

I'm just afraid of failing mainly, especially because I've got so much money being spent on tuition for me because the school's teaching, in my opinion, isn't great to be frank... My parents eventually discovered how bad I was doing in school despite the fact I even had tuition back then, so I'd rather just please them and myself from eventually getting the grades. I do revise, I look through my CGP books but then the questions in the exam papers don't really link to the notes, I mean I revised so hard but I got a U, which doesn't make sense.
Original post by Magical
I'm just afraid of failing mainly, especially because I've got so much money being spent on tuition for me because the school's teaching, in my opinion, isn't great to be frank... My parents eventually discovered how bad I was doing in school despite the fact I even had tuition back then, so I'd rather just please them and myself from eventually getting the grades. I do revise, I look through my CGP books but then the questions in the exam papers don't really link to the notes, I mean I revised so hard but I got a U, which doesn't make sense.

At the end of the day, if you fail then it's just more of an incentive. You don't want to end up opening your real ones and have failed just because you gave yourself false hope in your mock exams, do you? I think I'd rather fail my mocks, in honesty.
Reply 12
At the end of the day, if you fail then it's just more of an incentive. You don't want to end up opening your real ones and have failed just because you gave yourself false hope in your mock exams, do you? I think I'd rather fail my mocks, in honesty.

That's true but apparently my mocks are being sent to collages, and the ones I want to go in, in particular, all expect B's so?
Reply 13
come on man, don't fool yourself, if you are not doing well ask the teachers for help! that is their bloody job!!!
Reply 14
Original post by Dabo_26
come on man, don't fool yourself, if you are not doing well ask the teachers for help! that is their bloody job!!!

The last time I asked for help, I asked a teacher how to get an A and she laughed at my face and said I wouldn't get an A ever, it was in class in front of everyone so I just haven't ever really asked for help from teachers since then, I'd rather not be humiliated...
Original post by Magical
The last time I asked for help, I asked a teacher how to get an A and she laughed at my face and said I wouldn't get an A ever, it was in class in front of everyone so I just haven't ever really asked for help from teachers since then, I'd rather not be humiliated...

Look, mock exams are there for a reason : to get used to the exam environment.

You don't need to use the 2015 exam papers. Here's what I would recommend you doing:

Make flashcards to memorise the key facts, formulas and definitions. The more you go over these flashcards, the stronger the memory connections in your brain will be.

Create your own revision guide/mind map: Yes, it may seem hectic, but teaching yourself is better than actually taking it in. It works.

Use revision apps and resources such as the excellent GCSE resources that you can get from TSR. Revision apps include: Brainscape and Memrise.

Once you have completed the above, go ahead and try some PAST exam papers (2014 and earlier) and complete them in timed conditions to get the hang of it. Use the mark scheme to check what you got wrong and right, then use the grade boundaries to see your overall mark and grade.

There. That's all you have to do. Now stop feeling sorry for yourself and practice, practice, practice.
Cheating is not an option
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Teacherzx
Hello.I am a teacher from England, i currently work part time, is there any possible way you can send me the papers.Since the school can't access them, as we are a new school who are pushing our yr 9 to prepare for GCSEs even thought they are starting a new specification. Thanks!I

This seems like some sort of scam...I would be stupid to fall for this.
Surely you don't think I'm that stupid?
Reply 19
I'm pretty sure this year's papers are locked so that teachers can use them as mocks which their students have never seen.

I did a lot of these and they weren't that bad really. You'll do great, and if you don't there's still time to improve. Ask your teachers, do other past papers, etc. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest