The Student Room Group

Science or Languages?

Hi guys, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, there are just so many to choose from haha!Pretty much, I'm facing a huge decision. I was choosing a Uni course, and it was a toss up between Chemistry or Languages (spot the odd one out lol). Doing German in school, and having a love for languages, makes me think that languages would be good for me. But the courses seem to be heavily essay-based, and I'm a science student at heart, and my mind works in patterns and figures, not sentences and prose.My chemistry teacher is strongly urging me to take chemistry, as she thinks I would make a fantastic lecturer/teacher, and that I have what it takes to do well.I find chemistry interesting, but it's the prospect of jobs after, I don't really want to work in a lab. But I want a degree that will be respected - and I've always said I wanted a PhD in something.So I feel conflicted - do I go for the languages, which I'm good at in the sense of grammar and vocab, but am not good in terms of essays. Although I feel like there are more prospects for this, job-wise (e.g. marketing, teaching, translating, government work).Or do I go for chemistry, which I am *good* at (said with a pinch of salt), and maybe take it up to a PhD (If I am lucky enough to be given the opportunity), although my only real job idea would be a lecturer or teacher?Thanks for reading :smile:
Reply 1
Do whichever you enjoy more. Both have the similar prospect levels really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're a science student at heart, then I'm sure you'll know what course to choose.
You could always study both! I'm at Glasgow and one of my flatmates is studying Biology, Chemistry and German. I assume that the other ancient Scottish universities (St.Andies, Ed, Aber) all have the same sort of format.
Reply 4
Science if you want a job
Reply 5
Original post by ubisoft
Science if you want a job

In what? Getting a research position is uber competitive. Languages give just as much opportunity in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Study both. You can study both subjects equally in a 50/50 split, or if you want to avoid essays you could also do a 'Chemistry with German' degree where you only do language modules alongside chemistry.
Reply 7
Original post by lunome
Hi guys, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, there are just so many to choose from haha!Pretty much, I'm facing a huge decision. I was choosing a Uni course, and it was a toss up between Chemistry or Languages (spot the odd one out lol). Doing German in school, and having a love for languages, makes me think that languages would be good for me. But the courses seem to be heavily essay-based, and I'm a science student at heart, and my mind works in patterns and figures, not sentences and prose.My chemistry teacher is strongly urging me to take chemistry, as she thinks I would make a fantastic lecturer/teacher, and that I have what it takes to do well.I find chemistry interesting, but it's the prospect of jobs after, I don't really want to work in a lab. But I want a degree that will be respected - and I've always said I wanted a PhD in something.So I feel conflicted - do I go for the languages, which I'm good at in the sense of grammar and vocab, but am not good in terms of essays. Although I feel like there are more prospects for this, job-wise (e.g. marketing, teaching, translating, government work).Or do I go for chemistry, which I am *good* at (said with a pinch of salt), and maybe take it up to a PhD (If I am lucky enough to be given the opportunity), although my only real job idea would be a lecturer or teacher?Thanks for reading :smile:

Original post by Snufkin
Study both. You can study both subjects equally in a 50/50 split, or if you want to avoid essays you could also do a 'Chemistry with German' degree where you only do language modules alongside chemistry.

Totally agree with Snufkin. It would let you study two subjects that you enjoy and put you ahead in the career stakes.

Start by pinpointing universities that offer this combination. Then look at the German modules in greater detail to try and narrow your choice down to universities that focus more on actual language. Watch out for traditional universities which place a heavy focus on literature (e.g. Glasgow, which another poster mentioned. I did languages at Glasgow and it was massively literature-heavy).

If you can, choose a course that would let you do a semester or a year abroad in Germany, which would enhance your language skills tremendously and give you the opportunity to make useful contacts for the future.
hey I was totally going through this myself! Although I am more a humanities person at heart, I absolutely love learning languages and am good at it and (yep im completely doomed) really enjoy the biological sciences. If I had chosen purely out of what I like the most, I would have chosen languages. And I really want to keep studying them. However, my family was against as according to my father, "languages are tools" and not important enough to be a university degree. I dont agree with this, although I was strongly discouraged and finally opted for an econ/pol type of degree (during all of this I was also torn between bio and all these).

But honestly, dont listen to what other people tell you. I did, but I also really enjoy the degree I have chosen to pursuit. Do as your heart tells you. If you want to have a career in the humanities or travel then maybe languages are for you. But as other members have said, you can always apply for a joint degree Chem and a language, so you can do both :smile: I decided that bio for me was simply pure intellectual interest, and that I (as you also said) would not like to become a doctor or work in a lab. Thats why I chose my degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending