The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Scroll to see replies

okay so it seems that barely anyone is applying for Swanborough? Why is that??
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by Flux_Dubstep
Do I still need to apply for accom if I have an insurance?
It says in their housing guide you need to firm the uni to get the accom, but they just sent me an email saying I still haven't applied

Yep you do - Sussex is my insurance and I have still applied for accommodation. :smile:
Original post by JRosom
Got an unconditional to study chemistry. really want to live at northfield or swanborugh because they look amazing. I do like to go out alot but are these halls really as dead as everyone makes out?

If anyone lived there last year was there still a sociable vibe throughout the year?

i dont expect massive flat parties every night but are there still groups of sociable people who have lively(ish) prees and are up for a laugh

I lived in Swanborough last year. My flat was completely dead but the flat opposite to mine had flat parties very regularly and you could always hear music playing, etc. I'd definitely recommend Swanborough though, great accommodation and I'm pretty sure my flat was just an exception. Everyone one I talked to was jealous when I told them I live in Swanborough, lol.

I initially wanted to live in Northfield, but someone gave me a scathing review of it and forced me to change.
If im doing a course with a foundation year, what years will i be living on campus? will it be the foundation year then year 1 and then year 2 i move off campus like the people on the normal course?
Original post by infinitytheory
If im doing a course with a foundation year, what years will i be living on campus? will it be the foundation year then year 1 and then year 2 i move off campus like the people on the normal course?

As far as I know from friends who have done courses with a foundation year they live on campus in their foundation year (presuming they apply by the deadline and want to) and then move out in year 1. Very few people get accommodation on campus after the first year of there course (which in your case would be your foundation year) and most of these have additional needs e.g. disability.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
As far as I know from friends who have done courses with a foundation year they live on campus in their foundation year (presuming they apply by the deadline and want to) and then move out in year 1. Very few people get accommodation on campus after the first year of there course (which in your case would be your foundation year) and most of these have additional needs e.g. disability.

ok - thank youu :biggrin:
Original post by infinitytheory

I've just finished my foundation year, and am now going into Year 1.The housing office states that you're guaranteed university managed accommodation on both your foundation year and your first year if you want it. Out of my foundation year of about 28 students, I know 10 who applied for on campus housing for their first year, and all got their first or second choice.
Anyone living in East slope?
can someone advise me please. Is travelling for 2 hours a day doable? Im planning on commuting for my first year and then getting accommodation. Does anyone have experience in this kind of scenario? When do I have to make a decision about?
Original post by BioAgent
can someone advise me please. Is travelling for 2 hours a day doable? Im planning on commuting for my first year and then getting accommodation. Does anyone have experience in this kind of scenario? When do I have to make a decision about?

Is that one hour each way? Because although not preferable that sounds reasonable. It also depends on how you'll get to uni. If you're doing short journeys with lots of changes it would be more annoying than one long journey. And also how long between trains/buses (you don't want to just miss one and have to wait an hour). Of course this presume you're not driving.

And remember, you could need to be at uni for 9am and end at 6pm and you might find you have most of the space in between free.
Original post by Aliscia Barnes
Anyone living in East slope?

I am!
Is that one hour each way? Because although not preferable that sounds reasonable. It also depends on how you'll get to uni. If you're doing short journeys with lots of changes it would be more annoying than one long journey. And also how long between trains/buses (you don't want to just miss one and have to wait an hour). Of course this presume you're not driving.

And remember, you could need to be at uni for 9am and end at 6pm and you might find you have most of the space in between free.

yh each way, there is only one change, one train journey is 35 min and the other only 5 min and at the end a 6 or 7 min walk to the uni from the station. I used google maps so not sure how accurate and how they came up with the 1 hour total.

Do you think its doable?
Original post by 03hope03
I've just finished my foundation year, and am now going into Year 1.The housing office states that you're guaranteed university managed accommodation on both your foundation year and your first year if you want it. Out of my foundation year of about 28 students, I know 10 who applied for on campus housing for their first year, and all got their first or second choice.

Thank you :biggrin:DD
Anybody flat 4 east slope? :smile: xxx
yh each way, there is only one change, one train journey is 35 min and the other only 5 min and at the end a 6 or 7 min walk to the uni from the station. I used google maps so not sure how accurate and how they came up with the 1 hour total.

I'm guessing you're changing at Lewes then going to Falmer... I would use the National Rail website's journey planner and look at the times of the trains - how often they come, and the change over time.

Falmer station is like a minute's walk from the edge of campus and the academic buildings are like 5 minutes further.
I'm guessing you're changing at Lewes then going to Falmer... I would use the National Rail website's journey planner and look at the times of the trains - how often they come, and the change over time.

Falmer station is like a minute's walk from the edge of campus and the academic buildings are like 5 minutes further.

Falmer to Moulsecoomb. How do you know what uni im going lol?
Falmer to Moulsecoomb. How do you know what uni im going lol?

You're in the Sussex Uni forum. It's a pretty reasonable guess you're going to Sussex.
You're in the Sussex Uni forum. It's a pretty reasonable guess you're going to Sussex.

Oh lol didn't even realise.
I'm in Northfield Block 19, Flat 189, Btw there are links to the specific accommodation Facebook groups for Sussex uni by going to this page: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/residentialservices/students/residencefacebookgroups :smile: Also has anyone got any emails yet regarding their course or preparation for it from Sussex? So far all i've gotten is the accomodation email from them.

Latest

Trending

Trending