The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Social Policy career prospects?

I have an offer for Social Policy, but I'm wondering if anyone with personal experience has any idea what the career prospects are like?

This article from the Sunday Times (http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Education/article1609459.ece?shareToken=c549b0eefc311d448a2d22e4b16ef29c) says that Social Policy ranks in the bottom five degrees with the worst prospects, alongside Animal Studies, Creative Writing, Sociology, and Hospitality and Tourism. However, since the degree is at LSE I assume it will have somewhat decent prospects.

Also, do you think it would be worth trying to change to Social Policy and Economics when I arrive at LSE? I heard that it's quite easy to change course within the same department.
Reply 1
Changing courses should be possible, I know of people who have done it before. But its always up to the discretion of the department.

You can check the graduate destinations of people who did the course here:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/CareersAndVacancies/graduateDestinations/eGems/Home.aspx
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by mr.tcbj
Changing courses should be possible, I know of people who have done it before. But its always up to the discretion of the department.

You can check the graduate destinations of people who did the course here:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/CareersAndVacancies/graduateDestinations/eGems/Home.aspx

Thanks for this info, I will check out the link.

With the people you know of who changed courses, was it usually within the same department?
Reply 3
Original post by h3110
Thanks for this info, I will check out the link.

With the people you know of who changed courses, was it usually within the same department?

Usually yes, but not always. I know one kid swapped from IR to Sociology after year 1 (although tbf he had done the introductory sociology course as an outside option and thus met the requirements to proceed into year 2 of sociology).
Okay, a number of things to consider here.
LSE is actually the only prestigious uni that even offers Social Policy, and these rankings are from unis across the country. So those unis dont really have good career prospects in general, let alone for Social Policy. Another thing is that Social Policy is in the POLICY field, and if you want to work in this field, you pretty much have to have at least a master's degree. This is because policy jobs require excellent research skills and they cant be sure you have this until you have a postgrad degree. Thats why a lot of graduates go on to do further study. Those who dont get jobs in unrelated fields, like HR, accounting, marketing etc, or in related fields but are employed by NGOs, third sector organisations where pay is low but work is meaningful (usually).
Hope this helped.
Reply 5
Original post by BrownieLover
Okay, a number of things to consider here.
LSE is actually the only prestigious uni that even offers Social Policy, and these rankings are from unis across the country. So those unis dont really have good career prospects in general, let alone for Social Policy. Another thing is that Social Policy is in the POLICY field, and if you want to work in this field, you pretty much have to have at least a master's degree. This is because policy jobs require excellent research skills and they cant be sure you have this until you have a postgrad degree. Thats why a lot of graduates go on to do further study. Those who dont get jobs in unrelated fields, like HR, accounting, marketing etc, or in related fields but are employed by NGOs, third sector organisations where pay is low but work is meaningful (usually).
Hope this helped.

Thanks this explanation helped a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending