The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

social or human science?

I'm applying for cardiff 2024 and am still stuck on picking the social science course or human and social science course. Regardless of the uni, which course seems better for employment and general academic interest?
Original post by telecoms80
I'm applying for cardiff 2024 and am still stuck on picking the social science course or human and social science course. Regardless of the uni, which course seems better for employment and general academic interest?

Hi @telecoms80 ,

Choosing which degree to do at university can be very hard.

Some questions to consider when choosing between both could be:

What appeals to you with social science and human science?

Do you have a career in mind? Or do you know what kind of lifestyle you would like to have with your future career e.g. more office based with a set routine or one that can be more flexible.

When you look at modules and topics covered in each area, which appeals to you most?

I am a final year Psychology student so I would be happy to answer any questions about the course (but do bear in mind the one at Kent and Cardiff may be a bit different). I know people who have done a Psychology degree and are now in advertising, marketing and research roles. I also know some people who are doing something completely different for example, one of my friends is training to be able to work with trains! So, I would say that your degree choice does not determine your future career but it does help.

Finally, the website Prospects (https://www.prospects.ac.uk) might be helpful for you in terms of figuring out what careers are out there or where different courses could take you!
Good luck. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by telecoms80

Hi there,

It's great that you've opted to apply to Cardiff! It is an option to apply to both courses however, I'd suggest reviewing the modules. I've checked and many of them are the same or similar. I'd recommend checking that out and comparing for Social Sciences and Human and Social Sciences. Due to the similarities, I can't imagine your prospects being that different. But also check out the entry requirements because it's significantly higher for Human and Social Sciences.

I hope that helps a little 🙂

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending