The Student Room Group

How to Convert a Spring Week

Having completed a few Spring Weeks for the '15 cycle, here are some things I've taken away:

How do I stand out?

There are various ways you can make yourself stand out. One method which is most commonly overlooked is being yourself. Whilst on the spring programme, have fun, partake in sessions and ask questions. HR is there to assess your viability in the firm and banking is very much a people orientated industry. Being sociable is the quickest way to get both noticed and remembered.

From my experience, the people who stood out are those who came in prepared too. Those who understood what the different departments did and who were able to formulate really in-depth questions. Preparation is everything and for my specific spring week, those of us who managed to get final round interviews were deemed competent enough in not just the technicals but the soft-skills: Being a leader, a team member and someone who can manage responsibility.

Network. The week is an opportunity for you to meet people in the business, and also meet your peers who will be starting graduate programmes the same time as you. Remember the three C's: Colleagues, Clients and Competitors. Finance is a small environment and within the industry people move around quickly. You want to make a positive impression on everyone.

How should I behave around professionals?

Remain being yourself and don't do anything stupid. If you are fortunate enough to have made it onto a spring programme, I don’t doubt your understanding of what that means.

Whenever you are about to ask a question, ask yourself before: 1. Is it relevant? 2. Has it been covered or discussed? 3. Am I phrasing it in a way that's appropriate?

Don't act as if you're better than others and that it is only your opinion what matters. Everyone’s opinion should be valued and you as an individual should be the one to encourage that unity and inclusion. On the note of professionals, you’re not smarter than them, have humility.

Make yourself known. You want HR/other people vouching for you when it comes to conversions. You want good feedback reports on your work shadowing placements, network events and so on. Again, this all comes down to the matter of being social and making sure you leave a positive impression on others.

Be sure to approach people, after presentations and during your networking evenings. Collect business cards and drop them an email thanking them for their time, especially if it's in a business area you are interested in.

As cliche as it is, be open minded. Listen to what all the presenters have to say, take notes on all the departments and express enthusiasm for learning about all the different areas of the business. It's important that you find an area in where your skill set and interests are best suited. I went into the spring programme thinking I wanted to do one thing and that thing only and I came out on the other side, very much interested in a different business area. It’s a chance for you to find out whether the industry, the role and the bank is for you.

Some more on networking

You want to maintain a level of professionalism, but also go in with an action plan. If you’re going to approach someone, ask yourself why:

1. What do you hope to find out?
2. Are they willing to give their time/are they particularly busy?
3. Can you answer any question you may have with a 30 second Google search?

Make a LinkedIn, if you haven't already. You want to have an elevator pitch for when you go in, a quick 20-30 second introduction in whereby you highlight your name, university, degree subject and a very brief reason for introducing yourself. Let the conversation flow naturally and build on their responses. I wouldn't recommend going in with specific pre-planned questions, unless there's very specific things you want to find out.

Leave any professionals you come in contact with a reason to give good feedback on you. Once the conversation is wrapping up, ensure you thank them for their time. Ask for a business card or email so you can follow up with any further questions. I wouldn't say there's any specific rules to networks, just don't do anything stupid and have fun while you do it, it's another chance to learn about specific divisions and the actualities of working for that firm from its employees perspective.

If anyone has anything to add, feel free.

tl;dr

Top 5 Must Dos:
- Be engaged
- Dress appropriately
- Ask insightful questions
- Include all team members in discussions
- Build knowledge of the different departments beforehand

Top 5 Must Not Dos:
- Act superior to others
- Get drunk during networking evenings (yes, this actually happens)
- Stay introverted or quiet during the course of the programme
- Be late
- Be a clown
Original post by gr8wizard10
Having completed a few Spring Weeks for the '15 cycle, here are some things I've taken away:

How do I stand out?

There are various ways you can make yourself stand out. One method which is most commonly overlooked is being yourself. Whilst on the spring programme, have fun, partake in sessions and ask questions. HR is there to assess your viability in the firm and banking is very much a people orientated industry. Being sociable is the quickest way to get both noticed and remembered.

From my experience, the people who stood out are those who came in prepared too. Those who understood what the different departments did and who were able to formulate really in-depth questions. Preparation is everything and for my specific spring week, those of us who managed to get final round interviews were deemed competent enough in not just the technicals but the soft-skills: Being a leader, a team member and someone who can manage responsibility.

Network. The week is an opportunity for you to meet people in the business, and also meet your peers who will be starting graduate programmes the same time as you. Remember the three C's: Colleagues, Clients and Competitors. Finance is a small environment and within the industry people move around quickly. You want to make a positive impression on everyone.

Remain being yourself and don't do anything stupid. If you are fortunate enough to have made it onto a spring programme, I don’t doubt your understanding of what that means.

Whenever you are about to ask a question, ask yourself before: 1. Is it relevant? 2. Has it been covered or discussed? 3. Am I phrasing it in a way that's appropriate?

Don't act as if you're better than others and that it is only your opinion what matters. Everyone’s opinion should be valued and you as an individual should be the one to encourage that unity and inclusion. On the note of professionals, you’re not smarter than them, have humility.

Make yourself known. You want HR/other people vouching for you when it comes to conversions. You want good feedback reports on your work shadowing placements, network events and so on. Again, this all comes down to the matter of being social and making sure you leave a positive impression on others.

Be sure to approach people, after presentations and during your networking evenings. Collect business cards and drop them an email thanking them for their time, especially if it's in a business area you are interested in.

As cliche as it is, be open minded. Listen to what all the presenters have to say, take notes on all the departments and express enthusiasm for learning about all the different areas of the business. It's important that you find an area in where your skill set and interests are best suited. I went into the spring programme thinking I wanted to do one thing and that thing only and I came out on the other side, very much interested in a different business area. It’s a chance for you to find out whether the industry, the role and the bank is for you.

Some more on networking

You want to maintain a level of professionalism, but also go in with an action plan. If you’re going to approach someone, ask yourself why:

Make a LinkedIn, if you haven't already. You want to have an elevator pitch for when you go in, a quick 20-30 second introduction in whereby you highlight your name, university, degree subject and a very brief reason for introducing yourself. Let the conversation flow naturally and build on their responses. I wouldn't recommend going in with specific pre-planned questions, unless there's very specific things you want to find out.

Leave any professionals you come in contact with a reason to give good feedback on you. Once the conversation is wrapping up, ensure you thank them for their time. Ask for a business card or email so you can follow up with any further questions. I wouldn't say there's any specific rules to networks, just don't do anything stupid and have fun while you do it, it's another chance to learn about specific divisions and the actualities of working for that firm from its employees perspective.

tl;dr

Top 5 Must Dos:
- Be engaged
- Dress appropriately

Top 5 Must Not Dos:
- Act superior to others
- Be late
- Be a clown

Solid write up mate, thanks for this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
When you say dress appropriately do you mean wear full suite and tie or spring weekers are expected to wear just a shirt, tie and trousers.

And thanks for making this :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by AnonymousPrince319413
When you say dress appropriately do you mean wear full suite and tie or spring weekers are expected to wear just a shirt, tie and trousers.

Suit and tie.
Original post by AnonymousPrince319413

Suit and tie, definitely full professional business attire.
Reply 5
Great post. Just a few things to add from my own spring week experience.

1) Say 'Thank You'.

At the end of the day, have the confidence to go up to HR - or the person who was leading that day - and say thank you to them. Tell them what you enjoyed most about the day, and what you learnt. You don't need to go over the top, but mention that you really do appreciate being given the chance to participate on the spring week. Try and be sincere and genuine about it.

What does this accomplish?
1) Everyone likes when they're appreciated, including HR - plain and simple, people like it when others appreciate their work. In essence, you're buttering up HR. But remember, be sincere and genuine about it.
2) Showing that you can hold a conversation - if you can be articulate and hold a conversation with HR, it shows your confidence and your ability to engage. Crucial for any client-facing role.
3) It put you on the radar - if HR don't know who you are by the end of the week, you've done something wrong. This is the perfect opportunity to get some 1-to-1 with HR and stand out.

In my spring week, there was usually a different member of HR running each day. Almost every day, at the end I'd go and say a quick thank you. Make use of this opportunity. Most of the others on the spring week leave at the end of the day.

2) Know the structure of your spring week.

I was lucky that the bulge bracket I completed my spring week at, held two different weeks. Being on the second week, I knew the structure of the week beforehand. Now, I know you get given the timetable of the week on the very first day, but what's important is that you know which parts of the spring week are heavily assessed. Personally, I knew that there was one event on the final day that was very important in terms of getting fast tracked. On the timetable, this event looked very casual, but it was crucially important. Having this information gives you that additional leg up.

For those who don't have the benefit of your BB holding two spring weeks, ask the second years at your university who completed the spring week about the structure of their week. I'm not entirely sure, but I doubt banks change the structure of their spring weeks a whole lot from year to year. It's still very useful to know how each bank likes to assess you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks - this was a very helpful post! Was just wondering whether you had any tips in terms of securing SW places following interviews? Thanks a lot - much appreciated
Original post by CAulet567
Thanks - this was a very helpful post! Was just wondering whether you had any tips in terms of securing SW places following interviews? Thanks a lot - much appreciated

Unsure as to what this means. In terms of tips for interviews?
Unsure as to what this means. In terms of tips for interviews?

Yeah basically! Haha, sorry - it wasn't written very clearly! Basically any tips on being successful in SW interviews
Original post by CAulet567
Yeah basically! Haha, sorry - it wasn't written very clearly! Basically any tips on being successful in SW interviews

Be clear & onfident in your answers, research what IBs do, know the firms values, ask good questions at the end, use a variety/range of examples to draw upon.
Reply 10
Be clear & onfident in your answers, research what IBs do, know the firms values, ask good questions at the end, use a variety/range of examples to draw upon.

W what exactly do you mean by the bold part? I always find myself self struggling with not wanting to ask a question 'just for the sake of it', if that makes sense? Thanks a lot for this advice, really appreciate it :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tomixox
W what exactly do you mean by the bold part? I always find myself self struggling with now antign to ask a question 'just for the sake of it', if that makes sense? Thanks a lot for this advice, really appreciate it :smile:

usually i ask for the interviewer to draw on their own experiences of the bank, if you had the their name and was able to research them on linkedin, ask about their progression, what there goals are etc.. personal questions usually make room for good conversation, and people like to talk about themselves.

How do I stand out?

Some more on networking

tl;dr

Top 5 Must Dos:
- Be engaged
- Dress appropriately

Top 5 Must Not Dos:
- Act superior to others
- Be late
- Be a clown

any added tips?

the bank ill be at has a week-long spring week then everyone will have final round interview a week or two later (summer internship styled ones). would this mean its necessary to try and impress in the spring week or is everything down to how you perform in your interview?
Original post by PEking
any added tips?

the bank ill be at has a week-long spring week then everyone will have final round interview a week or two later (summer internship styled ones). would this mean its necessary to try and impress in the spring week or is everything down to how you perform in your interview?

both

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending