The Student Room Group

Should I say why I am leaving my current university in my UCAS personal statement?

I am applying to start at a different university next year,. I have written about the good grades I have achieved in my assignments, but should I mention in my personal statement why I am leaving the university?
Be honest, but not so much so. Try not to bash your current uni. Something along the lines of, 'I believe I would benefit more at X university, as my current university...' Not as cliché, but you get the drift. Good luck!
Original post by Cullen66
I am applying to start at a different university next year,. I have written about the good grades I have achieved in my assignments, but should I mention in my personal statement why I am leaving the university?

Yes you should. Mentioned what you have gained in that year.

Don't go into detail about getting good grades in your assignments. It's about the end grade which you haven't got yet. Just say how comfortable you were with the assignments or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by flippantri
Be honest, but not so much so. Try not to bash your current uni. Something along the lines of, 'I believe I would benefit more at X university, as my current university...' Not as cliché, but you get the drift. Good luck!

I am applying to 5 universities though, so not sure how to word it
Original post by Cullen66
I am applying to 5 universities though, so not sure how to word it

So, something like...

"I feel as though I am not reaching my potential at university X. Therefore, I have ensured that the universities I apply for this time around are best suited for my needs, and will allow me to succeed."

Once again, this but less cliché.
Reply 5
Original post by flippantri
So, something like...

"I feel as though I am not reaching my potential at university X. Therefore, I have ensured that the universities I apply for this time around are best suited for my needs, and will allow me to succeed."

Once again, this but less cliché.

Ok, thanks for the help
I'm at uni now and have just applied to study at a different uni for 2016! i didn't mention already being at uni at all in my personal statement and have already received an offer from the uni i want to go to instead
Reply 7
Original post by rebeccaa113
I'm at uni now and have just applied to study at a different uni for 2016! i didn't mention already being at uni at all in my personal statement and have already received an offer from the uni i want to go to instead

Oh cool, but did your new Uni know that you're currently at Uni? The only reason I want to mention it is because i've said about grades that i've gotten so far this year
Not sure, I presume they'd have access to that information as I have already applied to UCAS once before and my college wrote my reference both times.
Do you want to do the same course at a different uni or a different course?
Reply 9
Original post by rebeccaa113
Not sure, I presume they'd have access to that information as I have already applied to UCAS once before and my college wrote my reference both times.
Do you want to do the same course at a different uni or a different course?

Yeah i'm applying for Law again, but after I applied for my current Uni I got better grades than expected, so I think I will have a shot at a better Uni. I'm just worried that they'll think that if I don't like my current Uni I won't like them either
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending