The Student Room Group

My application got declined for not having a B in GCSE maths...

Basically looked on my track this morning and Royal Holloway declined my app to do psychology on the basis that I didn't have a B in GCSE maths ( I got a c, in fact 1 mark off a B which I know the unis can't see it just means it sucks balls a bit more) but anyway I'm now freaking out cos it's my first response from my choices and now I'm worried the other unis are going to decline me as well, considering I want to go to Warwick and I know that's a Russell group and so I was just wondering if there was any insight from those who were accepted regardless of their GCSEs or anyone in Warwick who can tell me how hard it is to get into? I don't know feel like I'm waffling
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

why didn't you retake...?
Original post by Samueljones
Basically looked on my track this morning and Royal Holloway declined my app to do psychology on the basis that I didn't have a B in GCSE maths ( I got a c, in fact 1 mark off a B which I know the unis can't see it just means it sucks balls a bit more) but anyway I'm now freaking out cos it's my first response from my choices and now I'm worried the other unis are going to decline me as well, considering I want to go to Warwick and I know that's a Russell group and so I was just wondering if there was any insight from those who were accepted regardless of their GCSEs or anyone in Warwick who can tell me how hard it is to get into? I don't know feel like I'm waffling

It is stated on their requiremnets that a B in GCSE Maths is needed to do psychology at Royal Holloway thus it was stupid to apply their as if you don't meet their requirements you don't get in. Unfortunately, this also applies for Warwick so you will also be instantly rejected from them. Why didn't you do any research before making your choices? I'm in year 12 and interested in Economics but it took me 5 seconds to check their entry requirements for your course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Yeah i appreciate that however I know that some universities are more lenient with their entry requirements as told to me by many people currently at university...but thanks for the reply
Original post by multieman
It is stated on their requiremnets that a B in GCSE Maths is needed to do psychology at Royal Holloway thus it was stupid to apply their as if you don't meet their requirements you don't get in. Unfortunately, this also applies for Warwick so you will also be instantly rejected from them. Why didn't you do any research before making your choices? I'm in year 12 and interested in Economics but it took me 5 seconds to check their entry requirements for your course.
Reply 4
I had it remarked and re-sat the exam but it made no difference to my grade...guessing maths isn't my forte
Yeah i appreciate that however I know that some universities are more lenient with their entry requirements as told to me by many people currently at university...but thanks for the reply

I guess that's a risk you'll have to take. Best of luck anyway!
Reply 6
Original post by multieman
I guess that's a risk you'll have to take. Best of luck anyway!

Thanks! And to you:smile:
You should have checked the entry requirements.
Are you applying to other universities? Do they have similar requirements or ought you to be OK with them?

If you're rejected from everywhere, just pick a psych course through clearing, graduate and end up in pretty much the exact same place afterwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE entry requirements are just as serious as the A level ones.
Many would have met both requirements and so would rightly so be considered.
Should have checked the requirement before sending off.
Original post by _Sinnie_
Are you applying to other universities? Do they have similar requirements or ought you to be OK with them?

If you're rejected from everywhere, just pick a psych course through clearing, graduate and end up in pretty much the exact same place afterwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I have applied to other unis all with lower entry requirements so all being well they'll consider me. Warwick was more of an aspirational choice and i knew it'd be a risk applying
Original post by tcameron
GCSE entry requirements are just as serious as the A level ones.
Many would have met both requirements and so would rightly so be considered.
Should have checked the requirement before sending off.

I think I was under the wrong impression that GCSEs weren't as important when it came to applying for uni. I have applied to other universities with lower entry requirements so hopefully I'll get an offer elsewhere

I doubt Warwick would be lenient if you need a B and you don't have it you will definitely get rejected.

GCSE is definitely important if they have hundreds of applicants they need a way to select and reject.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chikane
I doubt Warwick would be lenient if you need a B and you don't have it you will definitely get rejected.

GCSE is definitely important if they have hundreds of applicants they need a way to select and reject.

yeah I understand and it makes sense. It's just frustrating knowing I only needed one more mark on a maths papers I took two years ago to have the chance of being accepted into the uni I want to go to
yeah I understand and it makes sense. It's just frustrating knowing I only needed one more mark on a maths papers I took two years ago to have the chance of being accepted into the uni I want to go to

Maybe retake and apply next year if you want Warwick?
LOL
Universities like to pretend unimportant things are absolutely crucial. When instead they function as an easy way to cut down the number of applications to sift/to make then appear more elite.

My a levels are coming back to haunt me when applying for the clinical doctorate, even though I completed them 9/10 years ago and have a masters. Newcastle claim they are a good indicator of academic performance (they aren't) and won't admit they are simply a tool for culling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well sorry mate but that's just your fault, if you don't meet the basic entry requirements like GCSE, you don't apply there
Oh for Christ's sake!!

Excuse my reaction here but there is nothing wrong with a C in maths and you really don't need to go to a Russell Group university as if to validate your degree.

Shop around for courses. You've still got everything to play for and you still don't know what the other unis you've applied to will say.

Seriously dude chin up :smile:
Reply 19
You should have checked all the requirements on the university's website.

Quick Reply

Latest