The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Eh?! Is this for LTB6? Because my pre-release stuff was about George Orwell shooting an elephant...? :confused:

This is my first post, by the way. :smile:
Reply 81
im having a bit of trouble annotating the texts 2!! 3 days isnt long enough!!
Reply 82
shing a ding or mandy, do have any notes to kill a mocking bird linguistic features etc notes? please im panicing!!!
hey lauren,

i have a few notes on the linguistic features of TKAMB.

The first thing that i picked up on was Atticus repeatedly addressing the jury as "Gentlemen", this shows a level of respect and equality. The whole text is of a closing speech by Atticus, so it is his final chance to win the jury over. For this reason his address terms are important as he is almost trying to 'sweet talk' the jury to win them over.

Another thing you might pick up on is the fact that Atticus is shown to be a very intelligent man who knows how to make a good argument. He uses techniques such as rethorical questions "What was the evidence of her offence?" and What did she do?" this involves the jury and keeps their attention.

Atticus also uses the technique of repitition "That all negroes lie, that all negroes are immoral, that all negro..." this creates emphasis and impact on the point he is making, especially as the repeated word is a derogatory one!

He also repeats the word "truth", "you know the truth and the truth is this...." this again is an intelligent tactic as he hopes that it will register subconciously with the jury that he is telling the "truth".

Atticus is very open and honest, which again will appeal to the jury and effect their verdict, as they will feel they have no reason to doubt him... "There is not a person in this courtroom..."

Also in the final paragraph Atticus pleads with the jury to "review without passion" the evidence, this demonstrates to us that he is well aware of the prejudices held by society and what a difficult task he has. This again is backed up by the fact that in the final sentance Atticus looks to god for his last string of hope "in the name of god believe him", which he utters quietly to himself. The fact that he utters the sentance privately to himself could also indicate the fact that Atticus is very involved with the trial, and feels great sympathy for Tom Robinson. He does not say it for others to hear, he says it for his own benefit and hope that justice will prevail.

Overall the linguistic features show that Atticus is a caring and intelligent person, who knows how to make a speech in a way that might manipulate the jury.

theres a few points,
Any help?
Reply 84
hi everyone... could anyone share their notes on any texts- im really stuck on most of them- especially bleak house, denning...the salem witch trials, lol, the crucible...and even solomon is a bit iffy........pleeeeaaaaaaassssseeeeeeeeeeee
hey anonymiss,

i'm afraid i'm not gonna be on here much longer, but what is it that you are stuck on? linguistic features? links? approaches? i'll try to help.

also, have you had a look back at all of the previous messages coz there's some really good stuff on here already!!

mandy :smile:
Reply 86
anonymiss
hi everyone... could anyone share their notes on any texts- im really stuck on most of them- especially bleak house, denning...the salem witch trials, lol, the crucible...and even solomon is a bit iffy........pleeeeaaaaaaassssseeeeeeeeeeee

hey, if you have a look back shing a ding posted a message for me before I could activate my account with ideas on Denning and Bleak house. you'll be fine it'll all come flooding back to you in the exam!
not sure if anyone is here, but if you are.... in the salem witch trials transcript, is the book they are referring to the bible? just wanted to check....
also, i always find it really hard to find anything to say about the individual word choices, eg. specific verbs etc.... has anyone noticed anything about this in any of the texts... or about sentence structures?

thanks n goodluck :cool:
Reply 88
[QUOTE="princess-becca"]not sure if anyone is here, but if you are.... in the salem witch trials transcript, is the book they are referring to the bible? just wanted to check....
also, i always find it really hard to find anything to say about the individual word choices, eg. specific verbs etc.... has anyone noticed anything about this in any of the texts... or about sentence structures?

thanks n goodluck :cool:[/QUOTE

No, I don't think it's the bible. I watched the video and as far as I can see it's just a book that they are asked to write in by the persons accused of witchcraft ... why do you think it's the bible?I'm worried now!
I think that one is very hard for word choice etc but you could pick up on status issues eg. the girls address mr. Danforth as 'sir' showing that they are aware of his status. His status is further increased by the fact that he has all the interrogatives 'Abigail Williams! Does she hurt you?'
There is also several examples of archaic language 'Yes, Sir, often and saith she hath ...' which could compare to the bible extract. good luck!
hey,

how is everybody feeling about the exam today? oooh not long now!! EEK :eek:

anybody got any last minute worries or concerns? anybody wanna share any notes they feel would be useful in the exam?

mandy :wink:
Reply 90
mandy_spring
hey,

how is everybody feeling about the exam today? oooh not long now!! EEK :eek:

anybody got any last minute worries or concerns? anybody wanna share any notes they feel would be useful in the exam?

mandy :wink:

I'm starting to get a little nervous about it!I'm just worried about what the unseen texts will throw up - and what I will do if I can't understand them or something!
Princess_Becca just asked if we thought that the book refered to in text 2 is the bible - I thought not but now I'm not so sure - what do you think? :smile:
i'm not sure about the reference to "the book" in text 2 either. it is not made clear at any point exactly what the book is. However, I think that if it was a bible, they would say "did she bring the bible" rather than just "the book". I'm not absoloutley sure though, as it is left unexplained.

what do you think? :confused:
Reply 92
Lemming
Eh?! Is this for LTB6? Because my pre-release stuff was about George Orwell shooting an elephant...? :confused:

This is my first post, by the way. :smile:

Anyone? HELP!?
hey lemming

this thread is for the english combined course, looking at law, trials and justice.

there is however a thread on here for your paper though i think, coz i came across it and panicked coz i thought, "ummmm, OK, i don't have any texts bout elephants."

wait a sce and i'll post something on the thread so that it is at the top of the thread list.
Reply 94
mandy_spring
hey lemming

this thread is for the english combined course, looking at law, trials and justice.

there is however a thread on here for your paper though i think, coz i came across it and panicked coz i thought, "ummmm, OK, i don't have any texts bout elephants."

wait a sce and i'll post something on the thread so that it is at the top of the thread list.

Ah, that's it thanks!

It must be messed up, because I'm not doing English Combined, I'm doing AQA English Literature B Unit 6 - the title of this thread!
about the book, i was thinking it was the bible as it says they were made to write in it which would be defacing it and so going against the orthodox religious beliefs - a symbol of witchcraft....

but i may be very wrong!
Reply 96
How did everyone find the AQA spec B lit/lang critical approaches exam today? To be honest it didnt go as well as expected and i dont think ill get my B overall :frown: . I thought the unseen transcript was a bit harsh, what attitudes and values did ppl get for this????
hjdennis
How did everyone find the AQA spec B lit/lang critical approaches exam today? To be honest it didnt go as well as expected and i dont think ill get my B overall :frown: . I thought the unseen transcript was a bit harsh, what attitudes and values did ppl get for this????

hey, i thought that the exam didnt go to badly, but text 8, the unseen transcript was a load of crap. it didnt convey any attitudes and values. the poem justice was cool though. aswell these two text, i talked about the judgement of solomon, the crucible and to kill a mockingbirf. i referred to bleak house.

in the second question i managed to talk about 5 approaches so that was cool. hopefully my 2 english papers and coursework is worth an A.
hjdennis

hey, i thought that the exam didnt go to badly, but text 8, the unseen transcript was a load of crap. it didnt convey any attitudes and values. the poem justice was cool though. aswell these two text, i talked about the judgement of solomon, the crucible and to kill a mockingbirf. i referred to bleak house.

in the second question i managed to talk about 5 critical approaches so that was cool. hopefully my 2 english papers and coursework is worth an A.

Latest

Trending

Trending