The Student Room Group

University/Jobs!!

Basically I was wondering can a graduate from Liverool Univeristy get the same job or just as good as someone who's a graduate from say LSE? Bearing in mind they both have the same class degree and did the same course. This may sound odd but I'm worried that by going to Liverpool I've lost out on good jobs even though I'm just as determined to work hard and hopefully move up the corporate ladder as I do want to something business related such as work in the big firms of banking such as hopefully JP Morgan etc Thank you
It's all about experience tbh.
Original post by Aaron2515
Basically I was wondering can a graduate from Liverool Univeristy get the same job or just as good as someone who's a graduate from say LSE? Bearing in mind they both have the same class degree and did the same course. This may sound odd but I'm worried that by going to Liverpool I've lost out on good jobs even though I'm just as determined to work hard and hopefully move up the corporate ladder as I do want to something business related such as work in the big firms of banking such as hopefully JP Morgan etc Thank you

Weight given to university (providing it isn't a huge university with a huge reputation): 0.5%

Weight given to what skills, life experience and aptitude you bring to the table (as you've been in an economic black hole for the last 4 years - sorry, studying! - you don't have any): 99.5%.
Reply 3
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Weight given to university (providing it isn't a huge university with a huge reputation): 0.5%

Weight given to what skills, life experience and aptitude you bring to the table (as you've been in an economic black hole for the last 4 years - sorry, studying! - you don't have any): 99.5%.

This has sort of made me feel a lot better. But I must know how to get this experience i will do what it takes. But what experience? What type? How do you get it?
This has sort of made me feel a lot better. But I must know how to get this experience i will do what it takes. But what experience? What type? How do you get it?

Well brace yourself, it's about to get worse.

See the 11 page thread I created in the education section the other day.

In my view, relative to the competition and the value of your average degree (i.e., it isn't valuable in the least, it's just the same piece of paper everyone else has), studying at university, in this day and age, is an exercise in futility. It's a waste of 4 years and puts you into perpetual adolescence.

Unless you plan to go into academia, or are taking a vocational degree, then get a job. There are hundreds of thousands of training schemes out there, you get immediate experience, you develop all of the same soft skills you develop at university and you don't waste 4 years studying a non-related discipline or 'finding yourself' (you'll never find yourself, you'll just get more lost).
You need experience. A degree isn't worth very much by itself.

Also the university you go to won't affect much at all.
Reply 6
Well brace yourself, it's about to get worse.

See the 11 page thread I created in the education section the other day.

In my view, relative to the competition and the value of your average degree (i.e., it isn't valuable in the least, it's just the same piece of paper everyone else has), studying at university, in this day and age, is an exercise in futility. It's a waste of 4 years and puts you into perpetual adolescence.

Unless you plan to go into academia, or are taking a vocational degree, then get a job. There are hundreds of thousands of training schemes out there, you get immediate experience, you develop all of the same soft skills you develop at university and you don't waste 4 years studying a non-related discipline or 'finding yourself' (you'll never find yourself, you'll just get more lost).

But how sure are you of this. We're are these facts coming from or is it just your own view which isn't accurate
But how sure are you of this. We're are these facts coming from or is it just your own view which isn't accurate

Well, it's informed by a basic understanding of supply and demand economics. Anything this subjective will be driven by opinion, there's no getting away from it.

Analyse the market, look at the direction it's going in. Vastly increased competition in the job market, you're taking 4 years out. Doesn't make sense.
Reply 8
Well, it's informed by a basic understanding of supply and demand economics. Anything this subjective will be driven by opinion, there's no getting away from it.

Analyse the market, look at the direction it's going in. Vastly increased competition in the job market, you're taking 4 years out. Doesn't make sense.

But why doesn't it if by going to univeristy it can ensure a highly paid salary than someone who doesn't?
But why doesn't it if by going to univeristy it can ensure a highly paid salary than someone who doesn't?

What makes you think this will be the outcome? Is it because this is what you want to believe?

I know many, many people who've never set foot in a university earning £50k a year or more.
Reply 10
What makes you think this will be the outcome? Is it because this is what you want to believe?

I know many, many people who've never set foot in a university earning £50k a year or more.

I know that more than anyone else non of my family never went to univeristy and not to brag became fairly wealthy and did better than most people who went to uni and earn wages that our in the top 1% in the country. However, their business is not suited to me at all thus growing up in a business background I desire and crave money and to make money. But I only see options to gain experience in univeirsty and increase my knowledge then hopefully then to get a job and yet again see if I could then start my own business perhaps or to then try and climb up the corporate ladder. But bottom line is I can't see myself doing other jobs which don't require a degree as most jobs now a days require a degree.
Reply 11
I know that more than anyone else non of my family never went to univeristy and not to brag became fairly wealthy and did better than most people who went to uni and earn wages that our in the top 1% in the country. However, their business is not suited to me at all thus growing up in a business background I desire and crave money and to make money. But I only see options to gain experience in univeirsty and increase my knowledge then hopefully then to get a job and yet again see if I could then start my own business perhaps or to then try and climb up the corporate ladder. But bottom line is I can't see myself doing other jobs which don't require a degree as most jobs now a days require a degree.

Sorry for my spelling mistakes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending