The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Promoting optimism and avoidance of slander and pessimism

It is necessary to make the social environment healthy. In order to create a healthy social environment and make the people think positively, the Holy Prophet (S) used to take certain actions besides the recommendations that he would offer, particularly during the time when this issue was very important in his society because there was a lot of spite, suspicion and tribal prejudice among Arabs of the Jahiliyya era, and the Holy Prophet (S) had to cleanse the hearts of early Muslims off these things and to clear mistrust and suspicion.

There is a narration from the Holy Prophet (S) which says: “None of you is allowed to speak to me behind the back of any of my companions because I want to come to you while I have nothing against you in my heart.” 5 Some people would go to the Holy Prophet (S) and speak behind other people’s back. Sometimes their statements were truthful and some other times they were not. The Holy Prophet (S) asked everybody to avoid speaking behind other people’s back. He told them to avoid going to him and speaking behind each other’s back. He said that he wanted to visit his companions without having any preconceptions or suspicions about them.

This is a narration from the Holy Prophet (S), an order to Muslims about how to behave as far as he was concerned. Notice how much this act by the Holy Prophet (S) would help Muslims feel that they should have no suspicion towards each other in an Islamic society. According to Islamic narrations, when government is in the hands of evil and corrupt people, one should view everything with suspicion, but when government is in the hands of benevolent people, suspicions should be avoided and replaced with trust, vices should be ignored and virtues should be highlighted.

Muslims would customarily go to the Holy Prophet (S) and whisper in his ear. They would whisper certain matters in his ear. Then an Ayah was revealed which prohibited people from whispering in the Holy Prophet’s (S) ear. This was because whispering would create suspicion in the minds of other Muslims.

Ayatullah khamanei (ha)
Social Justice:

"Man cannot live in the shade of injustice, oppressive behavior, aggression, transgression and reliance on bullying and coercion. This is not life: it is hell. Divine prophets came to build a paradise in this world. Of course, if we look at it carefully, divine prophets’ goal on the social level is a prelude to help human beings achieve the individual goal, namely inner transformation, improvement and perfection of man.

Anything that you see in this world is in its right place if it yields the desired benefits. Human beings were not created to hurt each other. They were not created to feel envious of each other. They were not created to appropriate everything at the cost of depriving each other. They were not created to fill the world with evil. They were not created to stick to trivial matters and disregard perfection and values. Human beings were not created for these purposes. They were created to do good deeds, to be helpful, to move forward, and to move towards perfection. If a person moves towards perfection, if the path he chooses proves to be beneficial for himself and for others, that person has achieved inner transformation and purification."

Ay.Khamanei (ha) (http://www.al-islam.org/lessons-from-holy-prophet-islam-ayatullah-sayyid-ali-khamenei/monotheism-and-justice-holy-prophets-s#3-social-justice)
While one can argue the speaker is very ignorant about Islam, muslim brothers /sisters in ISOC should not be acting like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl0sI47tVgY

Rasullah s.a.w responded to ignorance and insults in noble manner, with force but humility.

Bickering over someone like that, being sarcastic, speaking to them in a very, very rude manner and simply being down-right obnoxious are not reflections of the Sunnah of Muhammed s.a.w no matter how right one thinks they are.

The video has almost 200k views and has now presented Islam in a bad light.

They would have fared far better to let her finish and confront her, in a more dignified way, after the discussion. Now she has won the PR , and people will , unfortunately, deem her as more reliable.
Original post by Tawheed

Muslims would customarily go to the Holy Prophet (S) and whisper in his ear. They would whisper certain matters in his ear. Then an Ayah was revealed which prohibited people from whispering in the Holy Prophet’s (S) ear. This was because whispering would create suspicion in the minds of other Muslims.

Ayatullah khamanei (ha)

Salaam.
Can you tell us the verse in question please.
Reply 784
Original post by Tawheed
While one can argue the speaker is very ignorant about Islam, muslim brothers /sisters in ISOC should not be acting like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl0sI47tVgY

Rasullah s.a.w responded to ignorance and insults in noble manner, with force but humility.

Bickering over someone like that, being sarcastic, speaking to them in a very, very rude manner and simply being down-right obnoxious are not reflections of the Sunnah of Muhammed s.a.w no matter how right one thinks they are.

The video has almost 200k views and has now presented Islam in a bad light.

They would have fared far better to let her finish and confront her, in a more dignified way, after the discussion. Now she has won the PR , and people will , unfortunately, deem her as more reliable.

The minute or so clip that I saw showed she lost it which made her look worse than any student or "Islam", although I agree it looked like the guy was being immature. (But as I said I only saw a min of it, so it could be worse)
Btw you've added to the view count by sharing it here.
Reply 785
Original post by Tawheed

What is the benefit/purpose of sharing this video?
Original post by Tpos
The minute or so clip that I saw showed she lost it which made her look worse than any student or "Islam", although I agree it looked like the guy was being immature. (But as I said I only saw a min of it, so it could be worse)
Btw you've added to the view count by sharing it here.

Original post by Tur
What is the benefit/purpose of sharing this video?

Salamunalaykum to both of you,

Sister Tpos, if you watch the full video you'll see it gets pretty hectic and chaotic. There is no doubt we all disagree with and vehemently oppose this lady, but this is not the way we muslims should be voicing our opposition. It puts all of us in a bad light. She has now won the PR competition, per say, and made the rest of us look intolerant of even hearing an opinion.

Rasullah s.a.w would not have acted like that. Nor did he.

The purpose of sharing it was to hilight something we can take back to each of our communities and Isocs. We will meet people we disagree with, even disagree with to such a severe level, but we have to remember the world we live in is a world things go on camera, onto youtube, and get spun on the internet. Other than that, like any other reason people post on the ISOC , it is simply to note something i felt worthy of hilighting.
Assalamualikum, I'm fairly new to TSR.
Reply 788
Original post by Tawheed
Salamunalaykum to both of you, She has now won the PR competition, per say, and made the rest of us look intolerant of even hearing an opinion.

Wsalaam

Again: the clip I watched was enough to discredit *her* so I'm confused about why you think she won the PR. It was pathetic all round.

Alhamdulillah I've never witnessed such behaviour from my ISOC.

Original post by Salman_
Assalamualikum, I'm fairly new to TSR.

Wa alaykum salaam
Original post by Tpos
Wsalaam

Again: the clip I watched was enough to discredit *her* so I'm confused about why you think she won the PR. It was pathetic all round.

Alhamdulillah I've never witnessed such behaviour from my ISOC.

There is no doubt i am vehemently against that lady. Ofcourse she can be discredited, but the issue is, the muslim audience throughout the entire video took the bait, responded emotionally and without manners expected of them, and now the video is being used as propaganda against muslims. I am most hard on people i love, and i would have said the same to my brother because they he and they represent me and i expect higher standards of and from them.

There is no doubt people on forums, in universities, on television will say crazy things about islam and muslims, but we have to remember we live in an age where there is social media, where things are recorded, where in todays world, propaganda is a reality everywhere - and people can start to give women who speak about Islam with her kind of ridiculous conceptions the time and day, because they'll deem her to be far more tolerant than the audience. That's what's happened here.
Reply 790
Original post by Tawheed
There is no doubt i am vehemently against that lady. Ofcourse she can be discredited, but the issue is, the muslim audience throughout the entire video took the bait, responded emotionally and without manners expected of them, and now the video is being used as propaganda against muslims. I am most hard on people i love, and i would have said the same to my brother because they he and they represent me and i expect higher standards of and from them.

There is no doubt people on forums, in universities, on television will say crazy things about islam and muslims, but we have to remember we live in an age where there is social media, where things are recorded, where in todays world, propaganda is a reality everywhere - and people can start to give women who speak about Islam with her kind of ridiculous conceptions the time and day, because they'll deem her to be far more tolerant than the audience. That's what's happened here.

She did not show a high level of tolerance, it was quite spectacular how she lost it. As I said I haven't watched the long vid that you posted, but if he was constantly haggling her then she could've easily asked him or asked someone else to ask him to leave in a professional manner.

We've got worse issues* than a slightly immature young guy and I doubt anyone capable of thinking without prejudice, would think the guy was that bad in comparison to 1)her 2) generally any guys who think they're being clever

People with prejudice will always hold anything and everything against us.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 791
Original post by Tawheed
Salamunalaykum to both of you,

Sister Tpos, if you watch the full video you'll see it gets pretty hectic and chaotic. There is no doubt we all disagree with and vehemently oppose this lady, but this is not the way we muslims should be voicing our opposition. It puts all of us in a bad light. She has now won the PR competition, per say, and made the rest of us look intolerant of even hearing an opinion.

Rasullah s.a.w would not have acted like that. Nor did he.

The purpose of sharing it was to hilight something we can take back to each of our communities and Isocs. We will meet people we disagree with, even disagree with to such a severe level, but we have to remember the world we live in is a world things go on camera, onto youtube, and get spun on the internet. Other than that, like any other reason people post on the ISOC , it is simply to note something i felt worthy of hilighting.

Wa'aleykum assalaam

I personally do not feel that sharing that video helps the situation since the point about manners can be made without it, and it only 1. Draws attention to the flaws of some members of our fellow brothers in an Islamic Society 2. Encourages lurkers to view this video and hold more negative opinions of Muslims and our communiy. Given that this video has already been shared on the Ex-Muslim society loads (and perhaps a thread made about it), I feel it has already attracted enough negative attention, so now this is just perpetuating it - it makes it seem like you are against the Muslims by taking a side shot whilst advising not to behave this way (which I am sure is not your intention).

Similarly, I can talk about manners and unity etc but if I were to narrate this true story where a female senior member of the Ahlul Bayt Society at my university bitterly reported the Islamic Society for 'misconduct' because a brother asked her, since she didn't have change at the time, if she had any spare change later if she could kindly donate to charity (because it was Charity Week), sure it gives an example of bad conduct and hypocrisy on the part of the Shia sister, but it also paints our Shia counterparts in a bad light, so I would argue that I shouldn't use it to illustrate my point - there are other ways I could convey my point about manners and unity without undermining my brothers and sisters, even if it was untintentional (which I will give you benefit of the doubt for). Hopefully you understand my point...
(edited 8 years ago)
Know, may Allah have mercy on you, that it is compulsory for us to learn four issues:

1. Knowledge: it is knowing Allah, knowing His Messenger, and knowing the religion of Islam through the evidences.
2. Acting according to this knowledge.
3. Calling others to this knowledge.
4. Patience in the face of adversity that results from calling the people to it

- Sh. Muhammad Ibn Abdul Wahaab
"Today we are blessed with an Islamic life because of the deeds of our Prophets companions"

- Sh. Zahran Alloush.
Original post by Tur
Wa'aleykum assalaam
I personally do not feel that sharing that video helps the situation since the point about manners can be made without it, and it only 1. Draws attention to the flaws of some members of our fellow brothers in an Islamic Society 2. Encourages lurkers to view this video and hold more negative opinions of Muslims and our communiy. Given that this video has already been shared on the Ex-Muslim society loads (and perhaps a thread made about it), I feel it has already attracted enough negative attention, so now this is just perpetuating it - it makes it seem like you are against the Muslims by taking a side shot whilst advising not to behave this way (which I am sure is not your intention).

I am a muslim brother. If you look at my posting record on here, especially on the religions section, you would see that the last thing i would want to do is take a swipe against my own muslim brothers and sisters. The very reason i am hilighting this issue (which i did not predict would require me to justify posting it over several posts and turn into a bigger issue) was a passing comment. I didn't mean to incite a big discussion. It's precisely because i love this ummah that i want to warn muslim brothers and sisters that there may be people who talk in a hostile way about Islam at our respective institutions, and mosques, and online, or TV, but we should not get angry and bite the bait, and then be represented in a bad light. I posted this on the ISOC - and not say, made a thread about it to show it to the world. It was posted on one post, on the ISOC. The intention was never that it turned into a rift.

Similarly, I can talk about manners and unity etc but if I were to narrate this true story where a female senior member of the Ahlul Bayt Society at my university bitterly reported the Islamic Society for 'misconduct' because a brother asked her, since she didn't have change at the time, if she had any spare change later if she could kindly donate to charity (because it was Charity Week), sure it gives an example of bad conduct and hypocrisy on the part of the Shia sister, but it also paints our Shia counterparts in a bad light, so I would argue that I shouldn't use it to illustrate my point - there are other ways I could convey my point about manners and unity without undermining my brothers and sisters, even if it was untintentional (which I will give you benefit of the doubt for). Hopefully you understand my point...

Dear brother,

I have to make this absolutely clear because this is such a vital vital point. Never was it my intention to make this a sunni-shia thing. This has nothing to do with absoc or isocs. I have spent so much of my time trying to combat secterianism. Infact, the video that was shown to me was one by shia brothers and sisters on another forum, applauding these individuals. Infact, until you've only just mentioned it right now, i didn't even distinguish muslims by their societies. The day i try to encourage secterianism in a very disgusting hidden manner is a day i deem my whole life to have failed.

This had NOTHING to do with I-soc for what it represents. My best friends run commitee's in ISOC. Infact, the majority of my university friends who have maybe saved my life several times and have helped me , and by the way, who i have prayed Salah behind are part of the leadership in these isocs.

One of the things i want to dedicate my life fighting intellectually against is the rise of atheism and these refutations of Islam. Woe onto me the day i decide to allow secterianism to overtake defending tawheed and Islam.

By Allah, even for certian members on here (not you or TPOS) but others i have had some pretty big debates with, i still love them as muslims and care about them.

If you want to PM me, i will give you my account on a shia forum, and show you the threads where i have condemned shia brothers and sisters for inciting secterianism. I can give you a dozen such examples.

At my university, the islamic societies are brothers and sisters of one another. Unlike some other universities, our one has virtually no secterniasm. I have more sunni good friends than shia ones.
(edited 8 years ago)
How can I get protection from the jinn? Is recitation of Ayat-Alu-Kursi enough, having it playing on my computer..
Original post by Tpos
She did not show a high level of tolerance, it was quite spectacular how she lost it. As I said I haven't watched the long vid that you posted, but if he was constantly haggling her then she could've easily asked him or asked someone else to ask him to leave in a professional manner.

We've got worse issues* than a slightly immature young guy and I doubt anyone capable of thinking without prejudice, would think the guy was that bad in comparison to 1)her 2) generally any guys who think they're being clever

People with prejudice will always hold anything and everything against us.

Spoiler

Sister, i can see exactly where you're coming from here. The idea of me raising this issue was not to in any way attack my fellow muslims.
I recommend you try to watch 1-2 minutes spaced through the video, it turns into a very, very, rowdy arena. It is also more than one individual, the entire crowd erupts. It was not me picking on one person - rather it is the entire crowd. It turns extremely rowdy.

It's precisely because i don't want islamophobic individuals like her to get any credit whatsoever that i want to hilight that we musims ought not to take the bait and allow ourselves to be captured on film and used as propaganda for atheism in this way.

There is no doubt her words in our eyes obviously make her lose all credibility. But the problem is, because of the response of the crowd (it was not just one brother) it gives her a certain credibility and she comes off far better when she should not be getting any credibility added to her whatsoever.

We can expect her to be saying the ridiculous things she says. But i expect far more from the muslim crowd, they represent us. Had i not cared, i would have said nothing. I criticize two groups, those who i feel do harm to humanity, and those whom i love. The muslim crowd fall into the latter.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 797
Check out this site http://fiqhofsocial.media/ :smile:
Reply 798
Original post by Tawheed
I am a muslim brother. If you look at my posting record on here, especially on the religions section, you would see that the last thing i would want to do is take a swipe against my own muslim brothers and sisters. The very reason i am hilighting this issue (which i did not predict would require me to justify posting it over several posts and turn into a bigger issue) was a passing comment. I didn't mean to incite a big discussion. It's precisely because i love this ummah that i want to warn muslim brothers and sisters that there may be people who talk in a hostile way about Islam at our respective institutions, and mosques, and online, or TV, but we should not get angry and bite the bait, and then be represented in a bad light. I posted this on the ISOC - and not say, made a thread about it to show it to the world. It was posted on one post, on the ISOC. The intention was never that it turned into a rift.

Dear brother,

I have to make this absolutely clear because this is such a vital vital point. Never was it my intention to make this a sunni-shia thing. This has nothing to do with absoc or isocs. I have spent so much of my time trying to combat secterianism. Infact, the video that was shown to me was one by shia brothers and sisters on another forum, applauding these individuals. Infact, until you've only just mentioned it right now, i didn't even distinguish muslims by their societies. The day i try to encourage secterianism in a very disgusting hidden manner is a day i deem my whole life to have failed.

This had NOTHING to do with I-soc for what it represents. My best friends run commitee's in ISOC. Infact, the majority of my university friends who have maybe saved my life several times and have helped me , and by the way, who i have prayed Salah behind are part of the leadership in these isocs.

One of the things i want to dedicate my life fighting intellectually against is the rise of atheism and these refutations of Islam. Woe onto me the day i decide to allow secterianism to overtake defending tawheed and Islam.

By Allah, even for certian members on here (not you or TPOS) but others i have had some pretty big debates with, i still love them as muslims and care about them.

If you want to PM me, i will give you my account on a shia forum, and show you the threads where i have condemned shia brothers and sisters for inciting secterianism. I can give you a dozen such examples.

At my university, the islamic societies are brothers and sisters of one another. Unlike some other universities, our one has virtually no secterniasm. I have more sunni good friends than shia ones.

I did not mean to accuse you of making this a sectarian issue, so I apologise if you construed that way; I was making the point that highlighting the flaws in our brothers/sisters, irregardless of intentions, can 1. belittle them when really we should be covering their faults and advising and addressing the topic in a roundabout way 2. draw the attention of others to these clips thus giving a bad impression of us. In no way do I mean to accuse you of doing these things but I am just trying to make the point that this is the danger of posting examples like these. I tried to show this by using my example - and to clarify it wasn't meant to be sectarian - and I was trying to explain that although my intention might be explaining that Muslims should be unified, the use of my example to illustrate bad behaviour could belittle others or cause negative feelings towards people, which creates additional problems to the one being addressed...
Again I reiterate that neither sectarianism nor belittling your brothers was your intention; I was just saying that your post could be construed in certain ways and have certain effects, so perhaps a better way of illustrating your point could be adopted
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 799
Swiftly moving on...

Spoiler

Latest

Trending

Trending