The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Elements of the Gothic (LITB3) - OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by kingaaran
Ah great! How you doing with revision?

Hey could you please please please help me? I'm doing these 3 and my exam is soon and I'm an idiot who hasn't learnt any quotes and doesn't even know where to start
Reply 381
Original post by Lkathryn08
I sat this exam last year and got an A.
I did The Bloody Chamber, Frankenstein and Macbeth.
If there are any questions, I'll try to help!

Hey could you please please please help me? I'm doing these 3 and my exam is soon and I'm an idiot who hasn't learnt any quotes and doesn't even know where to start. Do you have like a word document of all the quotes you learnt?
Original post by tagliatilly
How many quotes are people gonna memorise for each text?? I have a good memory so the actual memorising process isn't too hard for me, but I do find it really hard to decide which quotes to use in the first place, and how many to use. I'm so scared I'll get into the exam and find that I don't have any/enough suitable quotes memorised for the questions we're given......

For Macbeth I've memorised about 18. I think this is enough as they can be used for loads of different topics.

Pick ones that aren't specific to only one theme/topic :smile:
For section B, do all 3 texts need to be given equal weighting? I'm not that confident on one of my texts, so would I lose marks if I were to write less about it than the rest?
Can somebody please tell me what the difference is between section A and section B in terms of how we answer the question? Because I thought that the only difference was that section A is one text and section B was all three? Is this correct or are there more differences?
Original post by Eleanor2206
Can somebody please tell me what the difference is between section A and section B in terms of how we answer the question? Because I thought that the only difference was that section A is one text and section B was all three? Is this correct or are there more differences?

Well yes, you're right - section A focuses on a gothic element in one text, whereas section B asks you to focus on a more general gothic element across three texts
Well yes, you're right - section A focuses on a gothic element in one text, whereas section B asks you to focus on a more general gothic element across three texts

Okay thank you! So there's no difference in the style of answer? It is in effect three mini section A answers?
I got an A last year in AS however I am finding this year more difficult especially in regards to Wuthering Heights hopefully the questions in Section A on Frankenstein and Macbeth will be a lot better than Wuthering Heights

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HWhitney324
How did you effectively choose and remember quotes? I feel as though I am trying to remember too many but also I need enough that I can apply them to a variety of questions.

Any tips?

I study Macbeth for one of my texts and I normally remember 3 quotes per gothic convention, that way some quotes cross over etc and you're remembering less but for more possible questions if that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any notes on Wuthering heights I'm struggling with extremes apart from Thrushcross grange and the heights I'm struggling to find another type of extremity within the novel itself,

Thankyou!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by molly.jonesx
Does anyone have any notes on Wuthering heights I'm struggling with extremes apart from Thrushcross grange and the heights I'm struggling to find another type of extremity within the novel itself,

Thankyou!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is heathcliff not a potential extremity in his 'otherness' and ability to love so much?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I study Macbeth for one of my texts and I normally remember 3 quotes per gothic convention, that way some quotes cross over etc and you're remembering less but for more possible questions if that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you give me a list of the gothic conventions please? Obviously I know them all but they're all jumbled up in my head rather than in a nice list so I might not remember all of them....
Original post by yasminkattan
For Macbeth I've memorised about 18. I think this is enough as they can be used for loads of different topics.

Pick ones that aren't specific to only one theme/topic :smile:

Thank you!! Would you mind sharing the quotes you've picked for Macbeth? I've picked some of my own already but it might be good to see which quotes other people are memorising!
Could you give me a list of the gothic conventions please? Obviously I know them all but they're all jumbled up in my head rather than in a nice list so I might not remember all of them....

Of course, these are the conventions we were given in sixth form;

Wild landscapes
Religious settings
Sensibility(the cult of emotion) and a sudden shift in emotion
Excess and extremity
The supernatural and the ghostly
Imagery of darkness
Horror and terror
Isolation loneliness
Blurring the distinctions between insanity and sanity/good and evil
Sex and sexuality
Crime,lawlessness and abuse of power
The villain/the devilish
Absolute power

Hopefully this can help for Macbeth as for example "let not light see my black and deep desires" can fit into many as can "is this a dagger I see before me" a good one for Macbeth is always "I am in blood/ stepp'd in so far,that, should I wade no more,/ returning were as tedious as go o'er" if you need any more help just let me know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course, these are the conventions we were given in sixth form;

Wild landscapes
Religious settings
Sensibility(the cult of emotion) and a sudden shift in emotion
Excess and extremity
The supernatural and the ghostly
Imagery of darkness
Horror and terror
Isolation loneliness
Blurring the distinctions between insanity and sanity/good and evil
Sex and sexuality
Crime,lawlessness and abuse of power
The villain/the devilish
Absolute power

Hopefully this can help for Macbeth as for example "let not light see my black and deep desires" can fit into many as can "is this a dagger I see before me" a good one for Macbeth is always "I am in blood/ stepp'd in so far,that, should I wade no more,/ returning were as tedious as go o'er" if you need any more help just let me know!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much, this is really useful!!! I've got the Macbeth quotes you mentioned in my quote bank already so I hope that means I'm doing something right!

Also these are all the quotes I have remember for Macbeth;

"Come thick night" -Lady Macbeth
"Dunnest smokes of hell"- Lady Macbeth
"Murdering ministers"-Lady Macbeth
"Unsex me here"-Lady Macbeth
"I have done the deed" - Macbeth
" is this a dagger which I see before me?" -Macbeth
"a dagger of the mind a false creation proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain"-Macbeth
"So foul and fair a day I have not seen" -Macbeth
"It is the bloody business which informs, thus to mine eyes"-Macbeth
"Fair is foul and foul is fair" -the witches
"Sleep is no more"- Macbeth
"Macbeth doth murder sleep"
"Out damn'd spot" - Lady Macbeth
"The Owls scream and the crickets cry"-Macbeth
"Here's the smell of the blood still. All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand"-lady Macbeth
"O full of scorpions is my mind-dear wife!"-Macbeth
"Plucked my nipple from his boneless gums. And dashed the brains out, had I so sworn as you"-lady Macbeth

Here are just a few of the key quotes I'd say although I would try and include Banquo's ghost incase something on supernatural comes up as it will be easy to fit in

Hopefully this helps you if you need any more information just let me know 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is heathcliff not a potential extremity in his 'otherness' and ability to love so much?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes so he is, Thankyou for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you!! Would you mind sharing the quotes you've picked for Macbeth? I've picked some of my own already but it might be good to see which quotes other people are memorising!

No problem :smile:

Turns out there are about 30 I've memorised but you probably don't need this many... 20, I think, should do:

"I fear thy nature. It is too full of the milk of human kindness." (Lady Macbeth - talking about Macbeth)

"Brave Macbeth." / "He unseamed him from the nave to h'chops!" (Captain - describing Macbeth)

"Valiant cousin! Worthy gentleman!" (Duncan - describing Macbeth)

"Let not light see my black and deepdesires." (Macbeth)

"Blood will have blood." (Macbeth)

"[Life] is a tale told by an idiot...signifying nothing." (Macbeth)

"This supernatural soliciting cannot be ill, cannot be good." (Macbeth)

"Whose horrid image...make my seated heart knock at my ribs." (Macbeth - talking about his thoughts of murdering Duncan)

[Macbeth] "seems rapt withal" (Banquo - describing Macbeth's reaction to the witches' prophecy)

"The forces of darkness often tell us truths, win us with honest trifles, to betray 's in deepest consequence." (Banquo - his thoughts on the witches' prophecy, compared with Macbeth's reaction above ^)

"Is this a dagger which I see before me? I have thee not and yet I see thee still. Come, let me clutch thee." (Macbeth)

"O, full of scorpions is my mind, dear wife!" (Macbeth)

"Nothing is but what is not." (Macbeth)

"So foul and fair a day I have not seen." (Macbeth)

"Fair is foul and foul is fair." (Witches)

"Glamis hath murder'd sleep... Macbeth shall sleep no more." (Macbeth)

"I could not say 'Amen'." (Macbeth)

{CRITIC} Harold Bloom: "Macbeth suffers from knowing that he does wrong, and that he must go on doing ever so."

"Come, you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts. Unsex me here." (Lady Macbeth)

"A little water clears us of this deed." (Lady Macbeth)

"Here is the smell of the blood still. All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand." (Lady Macbeth)

"Out, damned spot!" (Lady Macbeth)

"Infected minds to their deaf pillows will discharge their secrets." (Doctor, in response to Lady Macbeth's sleepwalking)

"What's done is done." / "What's done cannot be undone." (Lady Macbeth)

"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under't." (Lady Macbeth - advice to Macbeth)

"These deeds must not be thought after these ways; so, it will make us mad." (Lady Macbeth)

"Had he not resembled my father as he slept, I had done't." (Lady Macbeth)

"And to be more than what you were, you would be so much more the man." (Lady Macbeth - to Macbeth)

Haven't memorised this, but it would be good to memorise some parts of it:

"How tender ’tis to love the babe that milks me.I would, while it was smiling in my face, have plucked my nipple from his boneless gums and dashed the brains out, had I so sworn as you have done to this." (Lady Macbeth)
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone mind sharing quotes they've memorised for Frankenstein? Haven't got many at the moment.
Original post by yasminkattan
Anyone mind sharing quotes they've memorised for Frankenstein? Haven't got many at the moment.

I'm struggling with Frankenstein aswell but I've memorised;

"I shall satiate my ardent curiosity"- Victor

"a breathless horror and disgust filled my heart" - Victor

"Charnel houses"

"Dear mountains! My own beautiful lake! how do you welcomed your wanderer, mock my unhappiness"-Victor

"A new species would bless me as its creator..., no father could claim the gratitude of his child so completely as I should deserve theirs"

"I am malicious because I am miserable"

" workshop of his filthy creation"

"War against man kind" - the monster

"I dabbled among the unhallowed damps of the grave..animate clay"

"I bitterly feel the want of a friend"

"I am the miserable and the abandoned, am an abortion to be spurned at, kicked and trampled on"- the monster

"Solitary chamber"

They're the only Frankenstein quotes I can remember hopefully it can help a bit! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending