The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Elements of the Gothic (LITB3) - OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
I got an A in AS, and if I got an A in this years coursework, what mark do I need on the exam to get an A roughly?
High B, common sense
Original post by ElspethC
How accurate is everyone aiming for with regards to quotes? Like, they won't care if we get a few words mixed up or don't get Shakespeare's weird apostrophe system or whatever? For both textual quotes and critical quotes

Did we have to memorize critical quotes?? We haven't done anything on critical opinions at all?!
Original post by LostInPanda
Did we have to memorize critical quotes?? We haven't done anything on critical opinions at all?!

Not necessary, you can still achieve full marks without
Original post by Rust Cohle
Not necessary, you can still achieve full marks without

Okay, phew! Had me panic googling for a second, thanks!
Anybody have any predictions?

Section B I would love religion to come up
(My texts are Macbeth, Wuthering Heights and Frankenstein)
Original post by LostInPanda
Okay, phew! Had me panic googling for a second, thanks!

I had two different teachers, and one marked us down if we didn't include them but the other said we didn't need to... I was/still am kind of confused. If you do fancy using any, I've got a couple for each text to drop into Section A if I can, and also general Gothic ones

"promotes vice and violence” - Botting

“Temptation and transgression are the central motifs” - Kidd

Gothic protagonists are “part victim, part villain” - Botting

“The Gothic text is a cruel text” - Carter

They're basically just to help with alternate readings of the text, like if the question is on transgression and you're arguing that it's a major part of the three texts, you can say "This view of the Gothic is supported by Kidd, who states that 'temptation and transgression are central motifs'. However..."
Original post by chanda01
could someone please define sublime and liminality? I don't quite understand these two terms. Thanks!

Sublime is kind of the mixture of terror and pleasure that the Gothic makes us feel. In The Bloody Chamber (using this as the example because loads seem to be studying it) an example of the sublime would be the repulsion/sexual attraction that the protagonist feels to the Marquis in the first story.
This is my basic understanding of it. It can also be used in regards to the terror and awe we feel when looking at particular scenes of nature - mountains, storms, turbulent oceans etc.

Liminality is the awareness of being between two states. The monster in Frankenstein is a liminal character, because he knows he exists in two states - dead and alive, good and evil. I think that characters need to be aware of this existence to be called liminal though.

Good luck tomorrow, I think we'll all need it...
I had two different teachers, and one marked us down if we didn't include them but the other said we didn't need to... I was/still am kind of confused. If you do fancy using any, I've got a couple for each text to drop into Section A if I can, and also general Gothic ones

"promotes vice and violence” - Botting

“Temptation and transgression are the central motifs” - Kidd

Gothic protagonists are “part victim, part villain” - Botting

“The Gothic text is a cruel text” - Carter

They're basically just to help with alternate readings of the text, like if the question is on transgression and you're arguing that it's a major part of the three texts, you can say "This view of the Gothic is supported by Kidd, who states that 'temptation and transgression are central motifs'. However..."

Ah, I see! To make the alternate interpretations easier to do... thanks for this, I'll attempt to remember these ones for tomorrow!
Original post by aimsnaywux
Anybody have any predictions?

Section B I would love religion to come up
(My texts are Macbeth, Wuthering Heights and Frankenstein)

Oh god, if religion comes up I'll cry of happiness :colondollar: I've got Macbeth, Frankenstein and Faustus. A lot of people seem to be predicting women for Frankenstein, but I hope not since we haven't really covered that reading. My teacher reckons there might be a Lady Macbeth question - there's been one on the witches and multiple on Macbeth, and she's got a lot to talk about.
Oh god, if religion comes up I'll cry of happiness :colondollar: I've got Macbeth, Frankenstein and Faustus. A lot of people seem to be predicting women for Frankenstein, but I hope not since we haven't really covered that reading. My teacher reckons there might be a Lady Macbeth question - there's been one on the witches and multiple on Macbeth, and she's got a lot to talk about.

Oh I wonder what they could say about Lady Macbeth!
@ellieacraig Hey :smile: so if I got 101 UMS in LITB1, 70 UMS in LITB2 and 51 UMS in my coursework this year, what will I need for an A? Seems like you're the person to ask

thats 222 UMS in total
an A is 320
You'll need 98 UMS x
Original post by bellablythe
Really?? are you sure? thats awesome!!!
How did you work that out? I found this converter thing on AQA that said that 42 marks converted to 79 UMS? which is a mid C grade. I dunno how these thing work UMS confuses the hell out of me.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums

I just wanna make sure i know exactly what i need. then it i know what im doing y'know.

Yep I'm sure. 42 marks converts to 79 Ums but only in the exam.
Your coursework of 44 raw marks plus last years result means you only need around 20 marks which is an E, for a C overall:smile:
I would definitely like a question on gender for Macbeth or Religion to come up as a B question!

The texts I'm doing are Macbeth, Wuthering Heights and The Bloody Chamber :smile:
Original post by aimsnaywux
Oh I wonder what they could say about Lady Macbeth!

He set us one in class about whether or not she is a "fiend-like queen", since that's what Duncan says about her at the end - they've used Duncan calling Macbeth a "butcher" for one already, so it'd be like a pair. I talked about her in reference to the witches and the evil incantations, then about her behaviour towards Macbeth (good and bad) then about the sleepwalking scene.

As for what it could actually be...? If it was her, I'd say something about her being evil or good, there's not really much else you can say?
He set us one in class about whether or not she is a "fiend-like queen", since that's what Duncan says about her at the end - they've used Duncan calling Macbeth a "butcher" for one already, so it'd be like a pair. I talked about her in reference to the witches and the evil incantations, then about her behaviour towards Macbeth (good and bad) then about the sleepwalking scene.

As for what it could actually be...? If it was her, I'd say something about her being evil or good, there's not really much else you can say?

That would be great if it was about her!

That lady Macbeth one came up in 2011 I think. I hope a similar style question comes up again though :smile:
in section B if i'm doing the bloody chamber do i have to focus on just one of her stories or can i use a couple? dont know if it would count as using more than 3 texts and its stressing me out!!
Original post by coolting
in section B if i'm doing the bloody chamber do i have to focus on just one of her stories or can i use a couple? dont know if it would count as using more than 3 texts and its stressing me out!!

Nope they encourage you to use 2 stories usually as tbc counts as a whole text
Original post by rosieschofield
That lady Macbeth one came up in 2011 I think. I hope a similar style question comes up again though :smile:

Oh ok, it wasn't on the list of past questions we'd been given but I guess it was just my teachers screwing up there? I would like a Lady Mac question though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending