The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Elements of the Gothic (LITB3) - OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

For section A I did Macbeth but I said that fundamentally one cannot differentiate between victim and villain as both are inextricably linked is that okay?im worried

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParisInc.
ahh finally! I thought it was amazing because most of the entrapments were not physical so you could be more in depth, like writing about social entrapment, emotional entrapment, psychological etc. What ideas on entrapment did you use? My overarching theme was that ultimately entrapments lead characters to transgress boundaries and harm themselves through aiming to break free from their various forms of imprisonments. I'm worried i may have stretched it a bit too much though... :frown:

I did WH Section A too!!
I wrote about the entrapment of marriage and how Heathcliff exploited the divorce laws of the time so Isabella was 'trapped', also about Cathy being 'trapped' in her own body and wanting to become one with the moors (as I finished that point I realised kinda how weird it all sounded) and I also did social entrapment for Heathcliff, and a really cheesy one on being trapped in love :')
lmao i gave a radical paragraph on how macbeth is a victim of the society he's placed in where masculinty/femininty is blurred. Duncan = feminine and therefore an inadequate ruler in terms of the Jacobean audience and how scotland has failed because of this disturbance in the natural order which macbeth was also a victim to (with male/female power dynamics shifted) LMAO waffle mania
Original post by awesomewarsome
lmao i gave a radical paragraph on how macbeth is a victim of the society he's placed in where masculinty/femininty is blurred. Duncan = feminine and therefore an inadequate ruler in terms of the Jacobean audience and how scotland has failed because of this disturbance in the natural order which macbeth was also a victim to (with male/female power dynamics shifted) LMAO waffle mania

Maybe a little far :tongue:
Original post by Pheoa101
I also talked about the werewolf as the girl was responsible for the murder of the grandma, even if she didn't murder the woman herself.

Oh Thank God it was 'The Werewolf'! I did that question too and I mentioned the girl and her grandmother, but I was unsure as to whether it was 'The Company of Wolves' or 'The Werewolf' so I put the latter!
Original post by Hollie G
Anyone else keep forgetting to put quotes in for Section B? They came really naturally for A but i had to think harder for B so not sure i did enough!

Hey :smile:

I didn't put any quotations in for section B, but my teacher told us that as long as we discussed why, if you did a question like the settings one, it was significant than you dont need quotations as long as you explain your point well.

I only did two full quotations for section A and then a few words like 'prospered' for the Bloody Chamber essay. But I did go into quite a bit of detail, I just wish that i had done more. But hey ho, I got a U last year so I can't do any worse really! :biggrin:
Original post by chanda01
For Section A I did Faustus, and argued that the reward of sin is death as Faustus himself affirms hence the punishment is just but it may not be just to renaissance ideal. I did I think 3 points on his sins and it's progression in the play and then 1 on his punishment and the ending I think.
I completely forgot that his punishment was 'hell' not 'death'... but I asked my teacher and he said it was an alternative approach so hopefully >.<

And section B, I did death. I argued that Carter uses death for obtaining female independancy and exposing the hypocrisies of the aristocracy and patriarchy that was present during the revolution.
I did the Snow Child and The Bloody Chamber title story - So 2 points on Carter.
I argued that Marlowe and Shakespeare use death in order to condemn social transgression. I did Lady Macbeth and her madness, death and detiorating relationship with Macbeth. So that was another paragraph. And then one small point on Faustus as it overlapped with my section A.

Is that enough? 4 points on section A and 4 points on section B?

Indeed :smile: Considering I only analysed 2 full quotations and one word for section A and then no quotations for section B... You've done incredibly well! :smile:
For the section B setting question what should the evaluation have been. It was like "twe is setting an essential element in creating a sense of fear and dread." Look at the ways in which setting does create fear and dread and then ways in which setting is used for other purposes?
Original post by Willward58
For the section B setting question what should the evaluation have been. It was like "twe is setting an essential element in creating a sense of fear and dread." Look at the ways in which setting does create fear and dread and then ways in which setting is used for other purposes?

No, I don't think so - that is question diverting. The question focuses on whether or not setting is essential, and I wrote about how it is not so essential and why. For example, in Dr Faustus, while the setting of hell is useful in foreshadowing Faustus' inevitable doom, it only amplifies what we already know from the Chorus: that Faustus 'waxen wings did mount above his reach'. The setting thus amplifies a sense of fear and terror, but is not key in establishing it. etc
Original post by awesomewarsome

omg i did a paragraph on how macbeth is a victim of his society, basically saying that he's praised for killing on the battlefield but condemned for his murder of duncan/banquo/macduff's family etc, so maybe shakespeare is criticising a society that honours violence in some contexts and damns it in others??? and so perhaps macbeth is a victim of this because the distinction between 'good' and 'bad' murders is kinda hard to distinguish???? that was either my cleverest paragraph or my stupidest
Reading all your responses and i've probably done ****. I wrote 12 pages and had like 20 mins left at the end and didn't know what to do so just read over.Loved this exam
Original post by ellieacraig
Reading all your responses and i've probably done ****. I wrote 12 pages and had like 20 mins left at the end and didn't know what to do so just read over.Loved this exam

Ah that's brilliant
For section B and the question on death, could you say how death takes on a more sentimental note in Frankenstein with the social injustice done to Justine who dies as a result and the loss of innocence with Williams murder?
Original post by Johnny2045
For section B and the question on death, could you say how death takes on a more sentimental note in Frankenstein with the social injustice done to Justine who dies as a result and the loss of innocence with Williams murder?

I think that's a nice point to have, and a nice contrast to a more Gothic outlook, especially for a closed book exam. :smile:
For Frankenstein Section B, I decided to discuss the fact that Victor's attempts to subvert death and create life were the bedrock of his eventual demise. I also discussed how death is interesting, intriguing and fascinating to Victor at the beginning (despite being mimetically repulsive) and eventually becomes something disgusting when it is tainted by moral/ethical doubts. Also wrote about death as a form of catharsis for the Creature and how death is denied both Victor and the Creature as the greater punishment is seeing those around you die. (Chucked in a bit about death being a rest that both Creator and Created want).
Anyone else get anything similar? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParisInc.
Did anyone do the wuthering heights section A entrapment question because so far I don't know anyone who has lolololol

I did ! Thought it was quite nice. I wrote about
-mental /emotional wntrapment of Catherine and heathcliff : significant cause it's that relationship that underpins the entire novel
-wntrapment by patriarchal society - Catherine not marrying heathcliff bc it would 'degrade' her. Significant because bronte criticism of roles of women in society
-physical when heathcliff forces young Cathy to stay until she marries Linton - significant bc characterises heathcliff as a gothic villain (immoral/brutal nature)
-kind of entrapment of the characters to their settings and how they always are drawn back - Catherine longs to return to WH and dies at TG and Isabella comes back to TG because it's where she's safe. Then talked about how the two houses represented the social divide.
H
Original post by roselestrange
I did WH Section A too!!
I wrote about the entrapment of marriage and how Heathcliff exploited the divorce laws of the time so Isabella was 'trapped', also about Cathy being 'trapped' in her own body and wanting to become one with the moors (as I finished that point I realised kinda how weird it all sounded) and I also did social entrapment for Heathcliff, and a really cheesy one on being trapped in love :':wink:

Yaay! Looks like we all wrote about the same things! I did physical and non physical entrapment too, saying they worked together to isolate and exclude characters without an escape!
It seems I may have interpreted the section B question for death wrong. I started writing about beauty of death and foreshadowing and just symbolism and imagery related to death. And for wuthering heights I used that rather than death it portrays strong emotions like anger, hatred, obsession and stuff and the imagery in that. Im screwed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tagliatilly
omg i did a paragraph on how macbeth is a victim of his society, basically saying that he's praised for killing on the battlefield but condemned for his murder of duncan/banquo/macduff's family etc, so maybe shakespeare is criticising a society that honours violence in some contexts and damns it in others??? and so perhaps macbeth is a victim of this because the distinction between 'good' and 'bad' murders is kinda hard to distinguish???? that was either my cleverest paragraph or my stupidest

Hahha I like it! Let's just hope we get really open minded examiners lmaoo
Original post by tagliatilly

At least you didnt screw up B. I wrote about beauty in death for TBC and violent death for Macbeth using all the imagery, foreshadowing and metaphors and then strong emotions in WH without saying how the death was significant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thought I'd throw in my two cents. I worked out I needed around 60 marks overall in the exam to get an A* (I got an A last year and full UMS in my coursework), so I'm hoping I did enough even though my section B was an absolute sh**show . Section A seemed to flow pretty well and I think I hit the A0s.

Section A- Frankenstein and isolation.
I talked about how the monster is isolated as a result of prejudice, and how Victor is isolated as a result of his transgression. Then some waffle about how the theme is multi-functional, with Shelley both perhaps condemning revolutionary ideas/unchecked ambition etc etc, whilst also commenting on the social prejudice at the time.

Section B- Settings (:s-smilie:)
Macbeth- Spoke a bit about about the dark and fog with the supernatural (but this went awfully), then about Scotland as a gothic setting (again, equally as bad).
Frankenstein- Gothic sublime (awe and terror)
The Bloody Chamber- Personification of the forest in 'The Erl King' and the use of assonance to create a sense of vertigo and confusion. 'The Bloody Chamber' the winding corridor and obviously the chamber...
Section B really was a mess for me :afraid:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending