The Student Room Group

Yeah, a middle-aged man is sending sexual texts to a 17 year old girl. So what?

Scroll to see replies

He is in a position of trust so it is a "scandal". The girl seemed like a plant. From the texts given in the Mail she seemed to be very much on the front foot, then she states she felt "vulnerable" when "he" started sending her dirty texts
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
She didn't initiate because he texted her first. But I have already said how I feel about the situation on the other page.

Initiated the 'sexting', the evidence is plain to see if you have read the texts. What she is doing could actually get him fired. I am not a Labour supporter but if she succeeds in this (as many women do) it is a real low point for society.
Original post by elen90
As a 17-year old, I assure you that I am not mature enough to have sexual relations with a person even five years my senior. (And now I'm waiting for the "you don't speak for all 17-year olds" counter-argument.)

Mature enough or not, it's irrelevant. Legally you can. Take it up with Parliament.

And why would I use that argument (it is my favourite though) - are you speaking on behalf of all 17 year olds?

Original post by elen90

There's an abundance of scientific research out there to demonstrate how humans do not reach adulthood until a much later age than traditionally imagined.

Don't describe, produce it.

Original post by elen90

In fact, the figure's estimated to range from 21-25. As I'm sure you're aware, physical maturity is by no means an indicator of emotional maturity. Nor is it a justification to want to have sex with an adolescent. Simply finding a 17-year old sexually attractive is different.

She's not an adolescent in the context of sexual consent. She's 17.

Original post by elen90

Although the case that you've mentioned is abhorrent, and deserved more coverage due to the injustice of it all, Simon Danczuk is mentioned specifically because he holds a great deal of influence and is a figure of authority and power. It's a story.

But a woman being given a suspended sentence for having sex with an 11 year old boy isn't a story? That story is infinitely worse than this, largely because it's actually illegal.

Look at what gets published on the BBC...here's a random article in amongst thousands of articles: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-19413634

It's a male, ergo valid. There's no reason why the story about the 21 year old female child molester shouldn't have been published.

Original post by elen90

Moreover, your choice of discussing Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher is nothing short of cherry picking.

Not, it's an equivalent - there's a massive age gap. Are you saying that is moral but this is not? Is that not outright hypocrisy on your part? Do you deem women to be less than men, or not as responsible for their actions?

Are you not an equal?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ayyylmaoo
Wait, what? What's anti-feminist about this?

Not the thread itself (I very much agree with the point that was made by OP, which was that male victims are treated completely unfairly), but some of the attitudes often shown on threads like these, e.g. saying that Danczuk's suspension was wrong and caused by 'feminazis' because he did nothing wrong, there's nothing wrong with a middle aged man and a teenage girl you feminazi scum!!! (which I actually don't care about given she's legal and consenting) when in reality he did (position of power/trust)
Original post by abruiseonthesky
I wasn't talking about that (I got that), I was talking about this bit:

Sorry if that wasn't clear :smile: (that sounds super sarcastic and it's really not meant to)

There I was just stating the legal position on a middle aged man doing sex things with a 17 yr old girl. It isn't illegal in our society. I also said it is general taboo so their is a moral dubiousness to it. I agree that is entirely different when the man is an interviewer. Plus he just kind fo sprung it on a girl out of now where which makes it a consent issue as well.

But, whilst morally questionable, it isn't actually illegal. (I don;t agree you should do that though.)
Nonono, that's not what I was referring to, I identify as a feminist and am always strongly opinionated on things like this - I was referring more to the attitudes shown in threads like this, i.e. 'feminism = male victims being ignored while female victims are lauded LOL EQUALITY BANTZ FEMINAZIS' etc. etc. I mean that threads like this are often an excuse to bash ygm

yeah that's what I mean too, people highlight things like this (and they should be brought up, bc they're serious issues) but they attach an anti-feminist message to it, even though what they think is a concept of feminism
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I am being hyperbolic. But you do slut shame women. You did it in this thread. The Muslims abusers, like in Rotehrum, justify their actions because they see western women as sluts and not deserving of respect.

I'm not saying you are a rapist. Sorry of it it came across that way.

I partly agree that comparing herself to the Rotherum victims is not really credible considering she only received some explicit texts compared to more serious physical sexual abuse and rape.

Fine, I will retract that, but it angers me that he could potentially have a permanent suspension (while I am no Labour voter but still) from his job is dangerous. It sends out the wrong signals that girls can put themselves out there, play the victim card and destroy lives.
Original post by TheCitizenAct
She's not an adolescent. She's 17.

Adolescence ends between ~19 and ~25.
Original post by scrotgrot
He is in a position of trust so it is a "scandal". The girl seemed like a plant. From the texts given in the Mail she seemed to be very much on the front foot, then she states she felt "vulnerable" when "he" started sending her dirty texts

You do you think planted it :beard:
There I was just stating the legal position on a middle aged man doing sex things with a 17 yr old girl. It isn't illegal in our society. I also said it is general taboo so their is a moral dubiousness to it. I agree that is entirely different when the man is an interviewer. Plus he just kind fo sprung it on a girl out of now where which makes it a consent issue as well.

But, whilst morally questionable, it isn't actually illegal. (I don;t agree you should do that though.)

Ahhh right okay, I thought you were saying it with specific reference to Danczuk, sorry about that :smile:

I agree, if he hadn't been in a position of trust, legally he'd be in the clear.
Reply 90
whyd he do that, his gyal is penggggg
Ahhh right okay, I thought you were saying it with specific reference to Danczuk, sorry about that :smile:

I agree, if he hadn't been in a position of trust, legally he'd be in the clear.

He still is legally in the clear! :tongue: (I think)

Just the labour party, like most organizations would, are clamping down on him.
Not the thread itself (I very much agree with the point that was made by OP, which was that male victims are treated completely unfairly), but some of the attitudes often shown on threads like these, e.g. saying that Danczuk's suspension was wrong and caused by 'feminazis' because he did nothing wrong, there's nothing wrong with a middle aged man and a teenage girl you feminazi scum!!! (which I actually don't care about given she's legal and consenting) when in reality he did (position of power/trust)

And in reasonable discussion those people get ignored - I haven't seen a "feminazi hur hur hur womens activist scum" post on many of these egalitarian (or as you'd probably say anti-feminist) threads. Of course a few people are going to have radical views like that and that's life, whether or not it's acceptable. Same as you'll have people, possibly feminists commenting on threads like these asking why such issues bother OP "because you're male" etc. I'm yet to research on whether he was in a legal position of power/trust so I can't really make a valid conclusion based off of the information I've looked at at the moment.
Original post by Gears265
Fine, I will retract that, but it angers me that he could potentially have a permanent suspension (while I am no Labour voter but still) from his job is dangerous. It sends out the wrong signals that girls can put themselves out there, play the victim card and destroy lives.

I'm not sure it sends out that signal, I think that signal has been out there for a very long time. Ernest Bax wrote about it in 1890: "the bravest and strongest man is as weak as a child against the overwhelming force of the state" and "any woman can at will summon to her a power no man can resist... the whole power of the courts and the community, backed up by the press and public opinion"

I agree to a point, however:

- he's the one in the position of power/trust so he's the one that should've stopped it (and I would be saying the exact same thing if the genders had been reversed)

- didn't he start the sexting?
Adolescence ends between ~19 and ~25.

Not doing this.
Initiated the 'sexting', the evidence is plain to see if you have read the texts. What she is doing could actually get him fired. I am not a Labour supporter but if she succeeds in this (as many women do) it is a real low point for society.

Sexting happens all the time, shouldn't he have known better? if his job was at risk.

Why do you blame women for EVERYTHING?

We aren't overly sexualised devils that want to trap you between the covers, whilst simultaneously draining your bank account dry.

Calm the **** down. :colonhash:
Original post by Ayyylmaoo
And in reasonable discussion those people get ignored - I haven't seen a "feminazi hur hur hur womens activist scum" post on many of these egalitarian (or as you'd probably say anti-feminist) threads. Of course a few people are going to have radical views like that and that's life, whether or not it's acceptable. Same as you'll have people, possibly feminists commenting on threads like these asking why such issues bother OP "because you're male" etc. I'm yet to research on whether he was in a legal position of power/trust so I can't really make a valid conclusion based off of the information I've looked at at the moment.

Like I said, I completely agree with the premise of the thread in that male victims get treated unequally and that is wrong. I explicitly said the thread itself isn't the problem. I'd actually call it a feminist thread...
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Not doing this.

God damn me and my scientific facts amirite?! Biologists know nooooothing about biology... I only spent half of last year doing this stuff. You even got references.
He still is legally in the clear! :tongue: (I think)

Just the labour party, like most organizations would, are clamping down on him.

I don't think he is technically, I think he has abused his position of trust over an under-18, pretty sure that's an offence

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending