The Student Room Group

A2 English Lit Coursework-The Bloody Chamber

I need help with answering my coursework question, my question is how the theme of entrapment is presented within the text.
My first paragraph consists of how nature is used to show entrapment however I need an argument point for my second paragraph that shows how nature is used to present freedom rather than entrapment.
I just need help with finding a story in the bloody chamber collection that shows nature being used to show freedom and gives enough for me to write a decent paragraph.
Any helps appreciated,
Thanks
You could talk about how the rose in almost all the tales in the Bloody Chamber are symbolic of hope. In the tigers bride the daughter hands her father a white rose, stained with her blood after pricking herself. The blood could suggest that the hope she once had for their future in now tainted with destruction, though it could also suggest her strength and how she's reached maturity, and can live through physical pain now without him. Similarly, in the Courtship of Mr Lyon, the father picks the rose after he's regained hope that their car will be fixed, and ultimately through picking the rose it lead on to the daughter living a life of freedom and love with the beast, as the ending suggests. Nature, roses in particular, play a key role in showing the loss or gain of hope.

I have no idea if this helps at all haha
Shona X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending