The Student Room Group

Would a landlord be put off by pet rats?

Would a land lady/landlord who allowed someone with 2 pet dogs to rent their property, have a problem with 2 pet rats living their (in a cage)?

I'm moving out with family members (we have had a flood) to temporary accomodation and it's been very hard to find somewhere that will accept pets. We have found somewhere but the family has only told the landlords about the 2 dogs which they are fine with. I told them to tell them about the 2 rats but they won't as they believe they will lose the house. I said that if they accept dogs they are unlikely to have a problem with small pet rodents but my family say that not many people like rats and they don't view them the way I do they see them as vermin, they think that the landlords won't want them there and so they wanted me to sneak them in.

Are they right though, would a landlord who allows dogs be put off by a pet rodent? I just think that dogs are much messier than a pet rat and I'd rather know now that a rat wouldn't be allowed so that I can find the rats another home rather then moving in and the landlord finding out if they do an inspection :/
(edited 8 years ago)
My housemate has pet mice, and we found it that some places which said no pets accepted mice in a cage, so I would imagine if they allow dogs they should be fine with rats.
Reply 2
Original post by mistyblue~
x

Just don't tell them?

As long as the property is returned in the same condition as when you first rented it; you can pretty much do anything (legal) that you want in it.
Reply 3
Im in uni accommodation and just emailed my landlord before I moved in and said that they are caged and is it okay, he had no issue

Quick Reply

Latest