The Student Room Group

Pros and Cons of Commuting to Uni!

Lol delete pls
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It will kill you.

I had to do a commute to work that was 1.5 hours each way door to door for about 6 weeks. It nearly killed me. It was horrible - I was constantly exhausted, I had no time for any hobbies, and the cost of commuting in terms of train fare was actually on a par with the costs of renting my most recent house.

Don't do it if you can possibly avoid it, and make sure you compare ALL of the costs - driving lessons, parking, petrol, VED, insurance, MOT, repairs, and the initial purchase price of a car. Unless you are attempting to live in the middle of Mayfair, I'd be surprised if driving really was the cheaper option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
don't do it listen to origami bullets she knows what she is on about we both have the same view on this.
2 hours sounds way too much, if you re traveling that far then wouldnt a cheap house share be a better option?
Original post by stemmery
I have about a 2 hour commute (give or take) and was wondering if it's feasible to do that for second year.

I can't afford to live out in a house again, and would rather save the money.

I don't drive, but I'm planning to learn this year.

Any advice?

As someone who's had to do a 2hr commute for over a year, for work - I would not advise that you commute in, it destroys your mid-week free time (evenings etc.) leaving you absolutely knackered too.

Surely there must be some cheaper accommodation, that would therefore make it more financially viable?
Reply 5
lol
Original post by fr0sr_
As someone who's had to do a 2hr commute for over a year, for work - I would not advise that you commute in, it destroys your mid-week free time (evenings etc.) leaving you absolutely knackered too.

Surely there must be some cheaper accommodation, that would therefore make it more financially viable?

Original post by claireestelle
2 hours sounds way too much, if you re traveling that far then wouldnt a cheap house share be a better option?

Original post by jonathanemptage
don't do it listen to origami bullets she knows what she is on about we both have the same view on this.

Original post by Origami Bullets
It will kill you.

I had to do a commute to work that was 1.5 hours each way door to door for about 6 weeks. It nearly killed me. It was horrible - I was constantly exhausted, I had no time for any hobbies, and the cost of commuting in terms of train fare was actually on a par with the costs of renting my most recent house.

Don't do it if you can possibly avoid it, and make sure you compare ALL of the costs - driving lessons, parking, petrol, VED, insurance, MOT, repairs, and the initial purchase price of a car. Unless you are attempting to live in the middle of Mayfair, I'd be surprised if driving really was the cheaper option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Accommodation I've seen comes to about £500 a month, I'm not paying that. Considering I've been coming home pretty much every 2 days anyway, I just thought there was no point in me paying for rent. It's 2 hours on the tube, and that's door to door - 1.5 actual commuting via train. Plus I'll likely only have 3 days a week, it definitely won't be a 5 day a week thing. On top of that, I'm hoping to get onto the placement course, which is 6 months in 2nd year and 6 months in 3rd year so I'd be commuting to my placement, anyway.

I've sorted out the costs of driving with my mum, that's not an option, as long as I can pass my test relatively soon.

Plus, I 'm thinking I would probably have to commute over an hour to get into work everyday anyway once I have a full-time job, so I might aswell get into the habit now.

Are there ANY pros of commuting?

Not really or at least not enough to justify a 5 hour round trip every day.
Accommodation I've seen comes to about £500 a month, I'm not paying that. Considering I've been coming home pretty much every 2 days anyway, I just thought there was no point in me paying for rent. It's 2 hours on the tube, and that's door to door - 1.5 actual commuting via train. Plus I'll likely only have 3 days a week, it definitely won't be a 5 day a week thing. On top of that, I'm hoping to get onto the placement course, which is 6 months in 2nd year and 6 months in 3rd year so I'd be commuting to my placement, anyway.

I've sorted out the costs of driving with my mum, that's not an option, as long as I can pass my test relatively soon.

Plus, I 'm thinking I would probably have to commute over an hour to get into work everyday anyway once I have a full-time job, so I might aswell get into the habit now.

Are there ANY pros of commuting?

There are no pros to commuting. You will occasionally hear people saying that they get work done on the transport, but
a) this will invariably be fairly ineffective,, as there are many distractions ("the next station is ... Canning Town... alight here for services to the ExCel Exhibition Centre and London City Airport" etc. etc. every 2 minutes, plus other passengers, on those occasions when you can actually get a seat)
b) it takes time to get your work out and get into it. You will get less than nothing done unless you are on the same train / bus / whatever for an extended period of time, without changing.

The point in you paying rent is that it will mean you actually have time and energy to do other things, and to make the most of your time at uni. I'm willing to bet that once you've accounted for the additional cost of travel, and the fact that you could spend those travel hours at a paying job (4 hours per day x 3 days per week = 48 hours per month = £321.60 per month at national minimum wage, or £451.20 at London living wage, which would also allow you to get the work experience that graduate employers want to see) you will find that commuting doesn't make financial sense compared to just paying rent.

If you're in London, which your mention of the tube suggests you are, then £500 a month is an absolute bargain.

There is no advantage in 'getting into the habit of commuting' earlier. Don't inflict the misery upon yourself any earlier than you have to. I also see no reason why you would have to commute for an hour each way as a graduate anyway - there are perfectly affordable (by London standards) places within half an hour door-to-door of central London (I know, I live in one) and if you go elsewhere then you will be able to live even closer.
Wow 2 hours is a long commute into university. My commute is only 25 mins in the car so I cope with that absolutely fine.

I drive to uni and it costs me a fiver to park each week, but my car is electric so I save on fuel meaning that it is much cheaper for me to travel this way as opposed to getting the train.

If you are thinking of learning in time for uni, even if you do pass in time, that is huge pressure for a newly passed driver to undertake a daily 2 hour commute.

Just with the costs of fuel as well, I think you would be better staying somewhere cheaper nearer to your uni. Obviously if this is simply not an option then by all means attempt to commute. But just understand that this is a huge commitment to undertake.
Reply 9
Original post by evalilyXOX
Wow 2 hours is a long commute into university. My commute is only 25 mins in the car so I cope with that absolutely fine.

I drive to uni and it costs me a fiver to park each week, but my car is electric so I save on fuel meaning that it is much cheaper for me to travel this way as opposed to getting the train.

If you are thinking of learning in time for uni, even if you do pass in time, that is huge pressure for a newly passed driver to undertake a daily 2 hour commute.

Just with the costs of fuel as well, I think you would be better staying somewhere cheaper nearer to your uni. Obviously if this is simply not an option then by all means attempt to commute. But just understand that this is a huge commitment to undertake.

Driving would only be 40minutes lol
Reply 10
Original post by evalilyXOX

Driving costs are covered, as I've said and parking is only like £150 for the year
Reply 11
Original post by Origami Bullets
There are no pros to commuting. You will occasionally hear people saying that they get work done on the transport, but
a) this will invariably be fairly ineffective,, as there are many distractions ("the next station is ... Canning Town... alight here for services to the ExCel Exhibition Centre and London City Airport" etc. etc. every 2 minutes, plus other passengers, on those occasions when you can actually get a seat)
b) it takes time to get your work out and get into it. You will get less than nothing done unless you are on the same train / bus / whatever for an extended period of time, without changing.

The point in you paying rent is that it will mean you actually have time and energy to do other things, and to make the most of your time at uni. I'm willing to bet that once you've accounted for the additional cost of travel, and the fact that you could spend those travel hours at a paying job (4 hours per day x 3 days per week = 48 hours per month = £321.60 per month at national minimum wage, or £451.20 at London living wage, which would also allow you to get the work experience that graduate employers want to see) you will find that commuting doesn't make financial sense compared to just paying rent.

If you're in London, which your mention of the tube suggests you are, then £500 a month is an absolute bargain.

There is no advantage in 'getting into the habit of commuting' earlier. Don't inflict the misery upon yourself any earlier than you have to. I also see no reason why you would have to commute for an hour each way as a graduate anyway - there are perfectly affordable (by London standards) places within half an hour door-to-door of central London (I know, I live in one) and if you go elsewhere then you will be able to live even closer.

The point is, I can't afford rent. So how am I supposed to pluck the money out of thin air lol. And I already have a job that contributes to my career path that I can do from home, or on the go on my laptop.
Reply 12
Original post by jonathanemptage
Not really or at least not enough to justify a 5 hour round trip every day.

It would be probably 3 1/2 or 4 hours a day for about 3 days a week. I really don't think it's anything, and considering the money I'll be saving, it's great. It would cost me £6 a day to get to uni and back. As opposed to £150 a week on rent + other expenses like food and bills.
The point is, I can't afford rent. So how am I supposed to pluck the money out of thin air lol. And I already have a job that contributes to my career path that I can do from home, or on the go on my laptop.

If your family are seemingly willing to cover the cost of a car, why won't they cover rent instead?

I'm not suggesting that you "pluck money out of thin air". I'm suggesting that you actually analyse all of the costs on either side and work out if commuting actually is cost effective.

And it's good that you already have a job - the graduates who struggle the most are those without work experience. However, you might like to consider taking on more hours or a second job.

Ultimately, if you're determined to commute then we can't stop you, but if you have just come here looking for people to justify your decisions for you then I'd prefer that you stopped wasting my time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would you do during your free periods? You can't just nip home if you've got one hour free.

If your commute was only something like 30 minutes, I'd probably stay at home to save money. But 2 hours is too much. You'd probably miss out a lot on the social side of things too.

I used to attend a group which was about 40 minutes by train (plus 20 minutes walk and then I'd get picked up at the other end) and some evenings that was a right killer. Especailly when we had problems with the train which meant a delay of one hour. Urgh.
Depends when the lecturers are. Peak time travel is a different animal to off peak.

It also depends if you can get away with skipping lectures. It is likely you'll get the urge to do this sometimes.

Saving money might not be worth the stress, especially if it impacts on your grade. Also you're gonna be mighty pissed off if it's only a short or cancelled lecture.
It would be probably 3 1/2 or 4 hours a day for about 3 days a week. I really don't think it's anything, and considering the money I'll be saving, it's great. It would cost me £6 a day to get to uni and back. As opposed to £150 a week on rent + other expenses like food and bills.

I can totally see the appeal and logic in what you're looking to achieve to be fair.

If you think you're able to get some work done on the train then it could be viable.

Please don't use a laptop when driving :tongue:

Either this is a 40 minute x 2 commute by car with no work being done or a 2 hour x 2 commute by public transport possible doing some work on a laptop.

Are these timings rush hour timings and door to door timings?

Mr Toad types will often say they can drive from A to B in so many minutes but what they mean is they can drive from where they are (which is usually not the middle of A) to the outskirts of B in that time on a quiet road on a good day.

Trainspotters will aggregate train journey times but not build in safety allowances for getting to the station in good time and will ignore connection times. There is no slower means of transport than a platform.

How many rush hour commuters into London can actually work on a train? It is not exactly travelling intercity first class.
I have about a 2 hour commute (give or take) and was wondering if it's feasible to do that for second year.

I can't afford to live out in a house again, and would rather save the money.

I don't drive, but I'm planning to learn this year.

Any advice?

Basically in the exact same situation as you, although my commute would be about an hour and a half. I want to start learning this year too. I'm debating on moving into a house for my 2nd year. I just always hear about problems with houses such as electricity, faulty boiler, faulty washing machines and all the rest of it. Some people I know in my halls are planning to live in halls again for 2nd year. I was considering this until I saw that the accommodation would be over £6k a year -_- so that's out of the question. Im now hoping to commute but I just don't know if it's doable :s-smilie:

My sister travelled for about 2 hours and she doesn't recommend commuting. She said it was stressful but that's because she got the train and there were lots of delays and signal failures but obviously if you were driving, this would be a non issue.

Sorry, bit of a useless post since I didn't really give you any advice, but you're not alone :smile:
Driving would only be 40minutes lol

Oh okay well that wouldn't be as bad then haha !

At the end of the day, it is your call to make and if you think you would be fine with it then only you can say this.

I prefer commuting in and I don't really see it as a burden. I would say the only thing i miss out on is that if we go out at night then i cant exactly just walk back to my flat. Trains and buses don't run 24hrs a day and so i would have to pay a small fortune on a taxi.

Apart from that though I really enjoy staying at home and driving in. My siblings go to school 5 mins from my uni so they need dropped into school anyway so it makes sense for me just to drive us all in.

i wasn't the most confident of drivers once i passed my drivin test, so a 40 min drive would have been very daunting for me. However everyone is different and you might take that journey in your stride.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending