The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

BU television student happy to answer any questions!

Hi everyone! :smile:

My name is Gemma and I am a second year student at Bournemouth University.

I've made this thread for anyone that wants to ask me any question about BU. I am currently studying BA Television Production, so if anybody want to know anything about the course, the media school or just about Bournemouth in general, feel free to post a question and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

:biggrin:
hello! I'm looking at doing Media at uni and my top two are Bournemouth (Media Production) and Nottingham Trent (Media). I like Notts uni/location best but I've heard BU has a great reputation for Media so I'm stuck between the two? Do you have any insight about how important reputation is, and whether other unis are good if it is just Bournemouth, etc? Thank you :smile:
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Hi Gemma, looking at adding this uni to my 5 choices but i have to ask, does the fact its in a college affect it in anyway? does it mean the facilities arent as good or does its distance from the main campus mean you're kind of out of the loop from everthing?

loren
Hi Anna!

There our definitely universities that have just as good reputation as Bournemouth. At the most recent open day, my lecturer did a talk and said our biggest competitors were Westminster. Other good universities that I have heard of include York, Ravensbourne, Southampton Solent and I'm sure there are many others that I have missed off. My tip is when looking at courses for Television make sure it has the creative skill set tick because this means it has been approved by the industry and they agree that you are learning the most relevant and up to date information.

Although you could study at many places, Bournemouth's is usually one of the top runners. I did a placement at Sky and it was actually though some colleagues who recommended this course that I actually applied. Also we have many guest lectures that come in and praise Bournemouth.

Saying this, reputation isn't the be all and end all. There are many other things you should consider eg. do you want to live in a city, how far away from home do you want to be.. etc. Your going to be spending 3 years at one place, so make sure you really enjoy where you are going. I love being in Bournemouth and if you end up picking it, I'm sure you will have a great time! :-)

Hope this helped :biggrin:
Original post by lleewebb17
Hi Gemma, looking at adding this uni to my 5 choices but i have to ask, does the fact its in a college affect it in anyway? does it mean the facilities arent as good or does its distance from the main campus mean you're kind of out of the loop from everthing?

loren

Hi lleewebb17,

Which course are you referring to?
Is the Film Production & Cinematography course in Wiltshire, the partner college of Bournemouth university?

The BA Television Production course that I study is at the main campus in Talbot, so if I'm absolutely honest I don't know too much about the facilities at the partner colleges.

I can send an email and see if there is anyone that knows more about the college if you wish?

:biggrin:
Original post by GemmaJewell2
Hi Anna!

There our definitely universities that have just as good reputation as Bournemouth. At the most recent open day, my lecturer did a talk and said our biggest competitors were Westminster. Other good universities that I have heard of include York, Ravensbourne, Southampton Solent and I'm sure there are many others that I have missed off. My tip is when looking at courses for Television make sure it has the creative skill set tick because this means it has been approved by the industry and they agree that you are learning the most relevant and up to date information.

Although you could study at many places, Bournemouth's is usually one of the top runners. I did a placement at Sky and it was actually though some colleagues who recommended this course that I actually applied. Also we have many guest lectures that come in and praise Bournemouth.

Saying this, reputation isn't the be all and end all. There are many other things you should consider eg. do you want to live in a city, how far away from home do you want to be.. etc. Your going to be spending 3 years at one place, so make sure you really enjoy where you are going. I love being in Bournemouth and if you end up picking it, I'm sure you will have a great time! :-)

Hope this helped :biggrin:

That's a really great help, thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending