The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Stan James doesn't like moneybookers, what money service are people using for Stan James?
Original post by Jeester
The exchanges pretty much encourage it because they work off commision, but the bookies do not like it, but as long as you don't go around telling them then you should be fine!

I can't see why bookies wouldn't like matched betting any less than people just there for the free bet. I suppose you could say that a matched better is less likely to become addicted hence won't take silly risks, but then you could also say that someone there purely for the freebie is less likely to stay around to bet further money in the act of matching.
Original post by Jeester
Just to make this clear, are you saying you've unlocked the £20 from Boylesports?

If so make a £20 bet on Boyle sports using the free money (Prederably on big odds so you don't have money tied up there because you want to lose at Boylesports) then go over to betfair and using a lay calculator place the amount you need at betfair, the bigger your float the better placed you are a) win at betfair and b)cover the liability of big odds.

Does that clear it up?

Thanks for that. Yes I have unlocked the free £20 bet.

So just to be clear do I not lay £20 at Betfair? How do I work how how much to lay?
Original post by zoe292001
Thanks for that. Yes I have unlocked the free £20 bet.

So just to be clear do I not lay £20 at Betfair? How do I work how how much to lay?

Check out the lay calculator: Trickybet

I use it every time.
Just placed my first MB, used FixTheOdds. Match plays tomorrow :smile:

Just to confirm, on Betfair where you have the place bet screen:

The money amounts given under the odds are how much you could win, right?
Original post by Hopple
Stan James doesn't like moneybookers, what money service are people using for Stan James?

I can't see why bookies wouldn't like matched betting any less than people just there for the free bet. I suppose you could say that a matched better is less likely to become addicted hence won't take silly risks, but then you could also say that someone there purely for the freebie is less likely to stay around to bet further money in the act of matching.

For Stan James I just use my debit card?

You said it yourself, matched betters are not gamblers so the bookies are pretty much guarenteed to lose the money they put on there with matched betters whereas people who come on for the free bet will probably lose the £10 the place and then lose the £10 free or whatever amount but they might continue to gamble to recouperate their lost £10...

Though, it is pretty much impossible to detect unless they spend thousands on people to traul the internet looking for people in the forums...
Original post by Bella Occhi
Just placed my first MB, used FixTheOdds. Match plays tomorrow :smile:

Just to confirm, on Betfair where you have the place bet screen:

The money amounts given under the odds are how much you could win, right?

That's the liquidity. It's the amount you can bet at those odds before they increase (lay)/decrease (back).

Bigger matches will have higher liquidity. Man united Vs Chelsea will have a massive liquidity. Where as the 3rd tier of the Bolivian juniors football league will have a tiny amount of liquidity
Original post by tw68
No I just said it is fine for the very first bet although it will probably give you crappy odds. But I would only do it for the £10 Totesport offer because you will lose potential profit if you continue using it.

I just need to butt in here, FTO is not as bad as everyone seems to make out. Yes, it doesnt pick out the best matches (however, it does them in a chronological order, it may just be the case that people who reckon you don't make as much by a long way just haven't bothered clicking through), but the amount of money you will lose as opposed to manually Matched betting is pennies, literally maybe a quid if you do 4 offers to get started. To me, the ease of use and spoon feeding style was absoloutley essential when I started matched betting as I'm pretty sure I woulda fuc*ed something up without it's comprehensive help. So basically, pay at most 2 quid for a comprehensive service, that opens straight on the match you need to bet on, tells you exactly how much to bet (no point in underlaying when starting matched betting), and refunds you if they get something wrong. Sorry about the little rant but it really annoys me when people scorn FTO to such a degree - I do not regret using it for my first few offers one bit, and we shouldn't be pushing new people right into the deep end just for pennies added to their profit.

Also, you can still do the cashback offers (thegoldtiger, freebets4all, quidco etc.), nothing impedes you from claiming these, just sign up to the offer and click after placing the bets, they still pay you the money no matter what website you genuinely signed up from.

Of course, you're welcome to disagree with me, please don't feel like I'm aimlessly shoving my opinions down your throat aha :teehee:
Original post by James2593
That's the liquidity. It's the amount you can bet at those odds before they increase (lay)/decrease (back).

Bigger matches will have higher liquidity. Man united Vs Chelsea will have a massive liquidity. Where as the 3rd tier of the Bolivian juniors football league will have a tiny amount of liquidity

Ah right :lol: I did think back after I posted that and thought it seemed a bit much to win. Thanks :h:
Reply 5988
Original post by liamcol123
I just need to butt in here, FTO is not as bad as everyone seems to make out. Yes, it doesnt pick out the best matches (however, it does them in a chronological order, it may just be the case that people who reckon you don't make as much by a long way just haven't bothered clicking through), but the amount of money you will lose as opposed to manually Matched betting is pennies, literally maybe a quid if you do 4 offers to get started. To me, the ease of use and spoon feeding style was absoloutley essential when I started matched betting as I'm pretty sure I woulda fuc*ed something up without it's comprehensive help. So basically, pay at most 2 quid for a comprehensive service, that opens straight on the match you need to bet on, tells you exactly how much to bet (no point in underlaying when starting matched betting), and refunds you if they get something wrong. Sorry about the little rant but it really annoys me when people scorn FTO to such a degree - I do not regret using it for my first few offers one bit, and we shouldn't be pushing new people right into the deep end just for pennies added to their profit.

Also, you can still do the cashback offers (thegoldtiger, freebets4all, quidco etc.), nothing impedes you from claiming these, just sign up to the offer and click after placing the bets, they still pay you the money no matter what website you genuinely signed up from.

Of course, you're welcome to disagree with me, please don't feel like I'm aimlessly shoving my opinions down your throat aha :teehee:

Yes but if you went off fixtheodds alone you wouldn't see the PaddyPower £200 offer or the £50 Coral offer, the £50 Victor Chandler offer etc.. That is my main sticking point with FTO. It doesn't affect me if people want to use FTO, I am just pointing out that you can make more doing it manually. I would rather people took the time to actually read and understand the methodology than just rely on FTO.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bloodbath
Do bookies allow matched betting?

Does it violate their terms and conditions

its allowed.

100%.
Original post by Jeester
Check out the lay calculator: Trickybet

I use it every time.

Thanks for that. I have been trying to work out the trickybet calculator. So do i follow the advice in the middle section - standard match?

Also, if the aim is to lose the bet so i gain at Betfair how do i find bets to place that will ensure i lose?
Original post by zoe292001
Thanks for that. I have been trying to work out the trickybet calculator. So do i follow the advice in the middle section - standard match?

Also, if the aim is to lose the bet so i gain at Betfair how do i find bets to place that will ensure i lose?

Yeah, the middle one, and obviously you can never be sure you are going to lose as it's not a sure thing, just try and find the highest odds you can afford at the bookies so you have less chance of winning. I usually aim for the 6-8 range so I can cover the liability in betfair, it all depends on how much you have in your account in betfair. I started off with about £200 and with the stuff I have won from the sites it's up to around 400.
Doing my first bet. Bet on skybet but cant get betfair to match? What I do

EDIT: Its matched now.

However I do not understand the odds and money bet here

Ok I bet on skybet £10 with 3.5 odds that a team would draw (stake not returned)

On betfair I placed a lay bet (stake of £7.25) for the draw at 3.5 odds (stake returned)

Confused??????? Can someone show how this is supposed to add up

So I would make a profit of £25 if I win with Skybet but I would loose (2.5 x 7.25) = 18.13 . So overall I would win £7

If I loose with Skybet I loose £10 and win £2.9 thus loosing £7 ?????????????????????

Should they both be 0?????????????
(edited 12 years ago)
Somehow I made £6.89
Reply 5994
Doing my first bet. Bet on skybet but cant get betfair to match? What I do

EDIT: Its matched now.

However I do not understand the odds and money bet here

Ok I bet on skybet £10 with 3.5 odds that a team would draw (stake not returned)

On betfair I placed a lay bet (stake of £7.25) for the draw at 3.5 odds (stake returned)

Confused??????? Can someone show how this is supposed to add up

So I would make a profit of £25 if I win with Skybet but I would loose (2.5 x 7.25) = 18.13 . So overall I would win £7

If I loose with Skybet I loose £10 and win £2.9 thus loosing £7 ?????????????????????

Should they both be 0?????????????

Whose £10 are you losing at SkyBet though? You win £7.25-5% commission at betfair so not sure where you are getting the £2.90 from.
It was a 'free' bet

I am not sure how the bets canceled each other out. Can someone show?

ie the expected value of the combined bets should be 0 in order to convert the free bet into money
Reply 5996
It was a 'free' bet

I am not sure how the bets canceled each other out. Can someone show?

ie the expected value of the combined bets should be 0 in order to convert the free bet into money

You placed £10 of FREE money on the draw at 3.5. Returns £25 profit.
You layed £7.25 against the draw at 3.5. Liability of £18.13.

If it is a draw you get (£25 won at bookie - £18.13 lost at betfair) £6.87 profit.
If it is not a draw you get (£7.25 won at betfair - 5% commission) £6.89 profit.
Any of you guys ever do the £50 4 / 1 horse offer on bet365?
Original post by tw68
You placed £10 of FREE money on the draw at 3.5. Returns £25 profit.
You layed £7.25 against the draw at 3.5. Liability of £18.13.

If it is a draw you get (£25 won at bookie - £18.13 lost at betfair) £6.87 profit.
If it is not a draw you get (£7.25 won at betfair - 5% commission) £6.89 profit.

Should I have layed £10 ? Why did it suggest £7.25?

Well I've got my intial deposit from betfair back
Reply 5999
Original post by arichmond64
Any of you guys ever do the £50 4 / 1 horse offer on bet365?

Yea it is an easy offer to do but try and avoid the feature race. Apparently betting on that is more likely to result in a gubbing.

Latest

Trending

Trending