The Student Room Group

52 Weeks: 52 Books. 2016 Reading Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Oo I'm in for this.

Owing to a stressful beginning of the year, I'm behind target already 🙈 but from here on out there should be considerably less stress, which means that I will be able to catch up :3

I'm about half way through 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' by Gabriel García Márquez. :h:
So far I have read:
-Choices of One (10/10 if you like star wars, 7/10 if you find it alright, 4/10 if you hate star wars - relies heavily on knowledge of characters and devices)
-Death Troopers 7/10
-Red Harvest 8/10

To read: (assuming I manage to get the funds to buy them!)

Spoiler

Edit - if anyone wants to read an amazing book I recommend into thin air - It is a non fiction recount of the 1996 everest disaster
(edited 8 years ago)
I probably won't be putting what I read on here during term as a lot of the books that I brought with me are non fiction (books about maths, etc.), so I wouldn't get too distracted from my uni work. 👀👀

I am really ill today and can't go in. :cry: I'll use it an opportunity to read in bed.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm aiming for 80 this year! I managed 75 last year, I'm trying to broaden my horizons as much as possible!
So far i've read The Scorch Trials, The Death Cure, Shades of Grey and Look Who's Back, and I'm currently reading The Kill Order.
I've just ordered a ton of books from Wordery and I still have quite a few books to read that I was given for Christmas, so hopefully I'll stay on track! :biggrin:
Original post by Indeterminate
I might as well aim for 52 too :biggrin:

Currently reading:

The Wright Brothers by David McCullough

What I've read so far:

Nothing (been a bit busy with certain stuff) :redface:

Forgot to mention that I read Finnegans Wake over the new year period (has to be the most interesting thing that I've ever read :lol:). 4/5.

And I've finished TWB now (4/5), which makes it 1.5/52 :tongue:

Not sure what to read next :hmmmm2: Any suggestions? :biggrin:
Forgot to mention that I read Finnegans Wake over the new year period (has to be the most interesting thing that I've ever read :lol:). 4/5.

And I've finished TWB now (4/5), which makes it 1.5/52 :tongue:

Not sure what to read next :hmmmm2: Any suggestions? :biggrin:

The Martian!
Original post by Student403
The Martian!

Read that before I saw the film (call it preparation if you will).

Anything else? :biggrin:
Read that before I saw the film (call it preparation if you will).

Anything else? :biggrin:

As did I - I'm glad I read it before the film!

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?
As did I - I'm glad I read it before the film!

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?

:five:

Again, I read it before seeing the film (I've actually read all 4 books in the millennium series) :biggrin: Now don't say Gone Girl! :lol:
:five:

Again, I read it before seeing the film (I've actually read all 4 books in the millennium series) :biggrin: Now don't say Gone Girl! :lol:

Hahaha no I'm glad :biggrin:

What about the Girl on the Train?
Hahaha no I'm glad :biggrin:

What about the Girl on the Train?

A quick Google search tells me that it's a good book (that it belongs to my favourite genre is a plus :ahee:)

Ok, that'll be the next one for me. Thanks! :biggrin:
A quick Google search tells me that it's a good book (that it belongs to my favourite genre is a plus :ahee:)

Ok, that'll be the next one for me. Thanks! :biggrin:

Let me know if you enjoy it :woo:
I'd like some huge volumes, by Grimm, Anderson and Perrault (in the original language) to help me pass this challenge :biggrin:
Original post by minimarshmallow
My mum has read The Slap, she said it was brilliant. I have a copy on my shelf, how are you finding it? How far up the TBR list should I put it?

Original post by Elegantsolution
Id like to ask that too, I have seen that book so many times in bookshops.

Well, I'm only about an 1/8 of the way through aha therefore I dont think my opinion is worth much at the moment :colondollar:.. but I'm enjoying it so far + really love the way in which its written - tbh, I just can't wait to get to the climax (NO, I HAVENT REACHED THE ACTUAL SLAPPING PART YET :eek2: ) bc what's proceeding will be the point where I'm either really captivated or kinda lose interest¡ I will let you know more regarding my views/whether I recommend it when I'm further in but so far I would say that its probably worth a read. ^-^
In. Not going to hit 52 because a lot of my 'reading' consists of hefty tomes called things like Principles of Modern Company Law and Microeconomics (I couldn't really afford to do post-graduate study but I want to keep learning in a semi-formal manner). Apart from that, I mostly read non-fiction.

Read - including late last year

Jeremy Blachman, The Anonymous Lawyer - kinda drivel but it was pleasant enough. Like a lukewarm bath.

Owen Jones, The Establishment - And How They Get Away With It - quite good. At times his rhetoric is incisive, but sometimes he relies too much on what is ultimately anecdotal evidence to make his points.

Presh Tallwalkar, The Joy of Game Theory - didn't get much out of this, it was a bit more entry-level than I was expecting. Still, nicely written prose for a mathematician.

Reading

Do Polar Bears Get Lonely? - a compilation of questions and answers from New Scientist

Nassim Taleb, The Black Swan

Paul Krugman, The Return of Depression Economics and the Crisis of 2008

To read:

Ivars Peterson, The Jungles of Randomness

Will Tipton, Expert Heads Up No Limit Hold'em (vols 1 & 2)

Rageh Omar, Only Half of Me - British and Muslim: The Conflict Within

Bertrand Russell, The Problems of Philosophy

Anthony Holden, Bigger Deal

Al Alvarez, The Biggest Game in Town

Francis Fukuyama, State Building

JAG Griffith, The Politics of the Judiciary

John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent

Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Original post by blamethenargles
I'm aiming for 80 this year! I managed 75 last year, I'm trying to broaden my horizons as much as possible!
So far i've read The Scorch Trials, The Death Cure, Shades of Grey and Look Who's Back, and I'm currently reading The Kill Order.
I've just ordered a ton of books from Wordery and I still have quite a few books to read that I was given for Christmas, so hopefully I'll stay on track! :biggrin:

How was Look Who's Back? I have it on my Kindle and a friend didn't really like it, and she's a history buff, think she was upset about the lack of accuracy and how it didn't have stuff about how Hitler was just a person and was too overdramatic. I picked it up for 99p though, so I'm going to give it a go.
There is no way I can read 52 books in a year, because I write books as well which takes up an insane amount of time.

If we're counting my own books, so far this year I've read my latest book 6 times to proof read it.

I'm in the middle of reading Tom Holt - The Outsorcerer's Apprentice
Original post by minimarshmallow
How was Look Who's Back? I have it on my Kindle and a friend didn't really like it, and she's a history buff, think she was upset about the lack of accuracy and how it didn't have stuff about how Hitler was just a person and was too overdramatic. I picked it up for 99p though, so I'm going to give it a go.

I really enjoyed it! I studied history at GCSE so I had an interest in it, but I wasn't really looking for historical accuracy- what I love about it is that the entire thing is dramatically ironic and how Hitler stayed true to himself (or not, to your friend's case) with hilarious consequences. It's a good read in my opinion!
Hey guys :smile:

Just thought I'd recommend the book theif by Marcus Zusak to everyone! I read it last year and It's an amazing book! One of the only books to ever make me cry.

I also recommend the night circus by Erin Morgenstern.
If I'm honest the two main characters were a bit annoying and so where some parts of the plot but the writing is so exceptionally beautiful that I'm willing to forgive all that.
The book really portrays the magic and whimsy of the circus perfectly so if you can stomach a bit of insta love and some plot holes then I really think you should pick it up :biggrin:
Original post by StrawbAri
Hey guys :smile:

Just thought I'd recommend the book theif by Marcus Zusak to everyone! I read it last year and It's an amazing book! One of the only books to ever make me cry.

I also recommend the night circus by Erin Morgenstern.
If I'm honest the two main characters were a bit annoying and so where some parts of the plot but the writing is so exceptionally beautiful that I'm willing to forgive all that.
The book really portrays the magic and whimsy of the circus perfectly so if you can stomach a bit of insta love and some plot holes then I really think you should pick it up :biggrin:

Agreed on The Night Circus. I was left with this feeling of mystery afterwards, it was really good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending