The Student Room Group

First car recommendations pls

I'm on the brink of passing my driving test and want a car under £2k as my first car so i can use it for the first 6 months until i can trust myself driving wise with a better car. What do you all recommend?

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

vw polo :tongue:
Original post by DevilInANewDress

I'm on the brink of passing my driving test and want a car under £2k as my first car so i can use it for the first 6 months until i can trust myself driving wise with a better car. What do you all recommend?

Spoiler

Toyota Yaris 2004
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cupcakes87

any one in particular?
Original post by Aubrey_79
Toyota Yaris 2004

eww blocked
any one in particular?

eww blocked

well, when i suggested it, i did a quick auto trader search for your price range and 2003 polo kept cropping up. but then that was just a quick search.

auto trader is the one! try it :redface:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/
any one in particular?

eww blocked

How is a Yaris an ugly car? lol

It is a reliable car, I had the car for 3 years.
Did not have any faults.
Any car under 3k is ****. Its just the usuals, corsa ,aygo the old ugly polo etc. So just get like a black toyota astra with tinted windows and use that for a while. I swear astras dont even look too bad theyre nice. But yhh its just an average car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fiat Panda
Original post by sabrinaa1234
Any car under 3k is ****. Its just the usuals, corsa ,aygo the old ugly polo etc. So just get like a black toyota astra with tinted windows and use that for a while. I swear astras dont even look too bad theyre nice. But yhh its just an average car.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True but do u mean Vauxhall astra because i didnt know toyota had an astra model?
True but do u mean Vauxhall astra because i didnt know toyota had an astra model?

LMAO yeah i meant vauxhall

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Wavefunction
Fiat Panda

you are dead to me
you are dead to me

I am ok with that
KA.
Yaris, Polo, Fiesta, Fabia, Golf (mk4)
Alright hoes.

Spoiler

If you want something that's cheap to maintain and rock reliable, get a Toyota.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cupcakes87

My wallet hurts :tongue:
Nissan Note :u:
Original post by Aubrey_79
How is a Yaris an ugly car? lol

It is a reliable car, I had the car for 3 years.
Did not have any faults.

Toyota is the best. I have toyota surf and its on its way to a milestone, I am going to reach a million kilometers on it. Damn I love toyotas.
Original post by Azhar Rana
My wallet hurts :tongue:

Eh the old 9N chassis isnt too bad, Anything 07 or so and onwards I would avoid. Same applies to the other VAG subs (SEAT/Skoda).

As for your first car, buy on condition rather than brand/age/mileage. Anything small & Japanese is a solid bet (Nissan Micra/Toyota Yaris Daihatsu(pretty much any model post late 90s, they are just discount toyotas)/Suzuki Swift), if you cant find any of them nearby your EU and Korean small motors arnt terrible if you buy them in good nick (Ford fiesta/Vauxhall Corsa/Hyundai Accent/VW Polo(Fabia/Ibiza)). Be weary of some build quality quirks in your EU cars as they all seem to have them and the fact that Hyundai is still churning out late 90s technology (which isnt a bad thing really).

Eh. It depends. DONT go for a small engined Astra. A 1.4 corsa will drive far better than a 1.4 astra and will probably cost the same in insurance. I had the displeasure of driving a small engined astra for a while through my old work and it was god awful (2.0T is great mind :biggrin:). You are much better getting a smaller lighter car as a first vehicle unless you are willing to open yourself to insane insurance prices.
(edited 8 years ago)
I would definitely recommend a Volkswagen Polo as your first car, mine is amazing and hasn't caused me a problem for the 3 years that i've had the car. Also, fuel wise its amazing, i literally get a full tank for around 30ish quid. I shall be making the upgrade to a BMW 3 series in the next couple of weeks :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending