The Student Room Group

How do I get a hair cut?

I am a male and my mum has always cut my hair for me. Nuts, isn't it?
This means that I have never been to a hairdresser/barbers before to get my hair cut.

However, I have now decided that I don't want my hair to be cut by my mother anymore as she does it crap.

I really want to go somewhere to get my hair cut but I just don't know how to do that- can I just walk in to any hair cutty place or do I need to book ahead? Do I go to a 'hairdresser' or a 'barber'? What do I even ask for? Normally I just get it shortened, but I would have no idea how to explain what I want to a barber bloke- short back and sides? I dunno. How much does it even cost approximately?!

I have been questioning so long between coping with my mum's hair cuts and picking up the testicles to go somewhere for it instead that I am actually considering just going bald to get rid of these anxieties.

Can anyone help me?

Any advice is appreciated.
You can just walk into any hairdresser's or barber's, and wait for your turn to have your hair cut. No need to "book in advance". When I go to the barber's I ask for a "number 4" (short back and sides) and they cut my hair in that way. A single haircut usually costs about £10.

Bald? I'm sure you don't want that :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Depends on the place - some require an appointment and some are walk-ins. If you've seen any hairdressers/barbers around where you live, you can always go in & ask/go online/phone them. I think the difference between a barbers and a hairdressers is that a barbers is for men (although don't quote me on that - I'm not sure).

Everywhere costs differently - but the more high-end (such as Toni & Guy) the hairdressers, the more expensive it is!
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
You can just walk into any hairdresser's or barber's, and wait for your turn to have your hair cut. No need to "book in advance". When I go to the barber's I ask for a "number 4" (short back and sides) and they cut my hair in that way. A single haircut usually costs about £10.

So what do you actually say then to the geezer- just "number 4 all over please", etc?

Bald men have better sex apparently...
Reply 4
bald guy.jpg
Original post by Anonymous
So what do you actually say then to the geezer- just "number 4 all over please", etc?

OK then, you want bald. If that's the case, go to a barber's and tell them you want it all off. Then find out how you can keep your head hairless like a Jonjo :wink:
You could try looking online for what style you want then either post it here so someone can tell you what to ask for or just take the picture with you.
Your neighbourhood barber will be cheaper than your neighbourhood hairdresser, but it depends how much of an actual style cut you want. If it's a simple short back and sides it should be no problem at the barber. Maybe take a high resolution picture of what you had in mind, but be aware that peoples' hair can differ in terms of thickness/growth pattern so it may not be exactly the same.

I usually go for a Grade 3 (clippper grades go from #1 [3mm] upwards to #8 normally [24mm]) sides, with scissor cut top tapered down the back.
Reply 8
This means that I have never been to a hairdresser/barbers before to get my hair cut.

However, I have now decided that I don't want my hair to be cut by my mother anymore as she does it crap.

I really want to go somewhere to get my hair cut but I just don't know how to do that- can I just walk in to any hair cutty place or do I need to book ahead? Do I go to a 'hairdresser' or a 'barber'? What do I even ask for? Normally I just get it shortened, but I would have no idea how to explain what I want to a barber bloke- short back and sides? I dunno. How much does it even cost approximately?!

I have been questioning so long between coping with my mum's hair cuts and picking up the testicles to go somewhere for it instead that I am actually considering just going bald to get rid of these anxieties.

Can anyone help me?

Usually barbers are walk-in, a cheap one may cost around £10 for a cut. Barbers have seen it all so don't worry. Short back and sides is usually good enough. They may ask you if you want it gelled or waxed into a style afterwards.
Reply 9

Can anyone help me?

Grade 3:

Original post by shawn_o1

You pay £10 quid for a haircut???
go into barbers or hairdressers and ask for a trim
^ Much appreciated all.

I tried spending a bit of time on Google to try to find an image that explains my usual hair style but nothing quite gets it; searching for "Short back and sides" usually show too short sides.

I'm not sure if links and stuff work under Anonymous, but what would this be?
http://www.mens-hairstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Mens-Short-Back-And-Sides-Haircut.jpg
Something like a #2 on the sides and #5 on top?

If the picture link works, that's what I would want but with a little less on top, so would do you reckon that would be?

I'm also cautious about using the exact words of "can I have a number ___ on the back and _____ on top" - is saying the grades usually correct or should you request the hair taken off by mm instead, etc?
^Bump^.

Quick Reply

Latest