The Student Room Group

I need help on my Bioveterinary Science course!!!!

I am currently doing a bioveterinary science course. However, I KNOW Im not going to get the required grades (2:1-1:1) for veterinary medicine. My heads not as in it as Im very homesick. Is there anywhere in the UK that would allow for a lower mark and/or what are the other job oppurtunities I could go into that relate?
I know some medical schools accept a 2:2 in BSc if you also have a MSci or phd, not sure about vet schools thought. I'd be worth dropping them an email if you're still interested in becoming a vet.
Original post by Lauramariexo
I am currently doing a bioveterinary science course. However, I KNOW Im not going to get the required grades (2:1-1:1) for veterinary medicine. My heads not as in it as Im very homesick. Is there anywhere in the UK that would allow for a lower mark and/or what are the other job oppurtunities I could go into that relate?

Unfortunately all the UK universities ask for a 2:1 or higher to be considered. What year are you in currently?
Job opportunity wise (I did biovet so this is what some of my course mates now do):-
Lab work - nationwide laboratories testing samples sent from vet practices
Veterinary physiotherapist
Zoo work
Vet nursing (you would have to do the training though)

These are just a few of the jobs you can do with biovet. There are more but the majority of my degree went on to either teach or work in labs, and then two of us went on to do veterinary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Im thinking about vet nursing as its closer to home. Im in my second year and im really getting more and more put off doing it anymore. Also, i did want to do vet medicine but ive decided its not the career for me as im no where near smart enough no matter how much i revise...
Im thinking about vet nursing as its closer to home. Im in my second year and im really getting more and more put off doing it anymore. Also, i did want to do vet medicine but ive decided its not the career for me as im no where near smart enough no matter how much i revise...

There's no such thing as not being smart enough, it's just how you approach learning. I went through my biovet degree doing zero extra work and staying up till 5am. I got to third year and I realised i needed I actually put some effort in, and I came out with a 2:1. I questioned throughout first year of vet school whether I was clever enough and I passed all my exams in summer! It's how you learn stuff you just have to find the best way for yourself, and I didn't find that out till I got to vet school.
I'd be inclined to say that it's probably not the best option for you purely because if you're struggling with workload on a biovet degree due to being homesick, you'll essentially drown under the vet school workload, and it's a stressful degree. Even with vet nursing degrees, it's still not a walk in the park

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I just think it's because I have no faith in myself anymore and cannot seem to get the marks I want no matter how much I revise. Being a vet was my dream since the age of 5, and now it feels like I dont even know where to go with my life now. Veterinary nursing is my second option, its close to home,I can also do a veterinary nursing apprenticeship as I have noticed I learn more actually doing than listening. Is there any advice you could give me to get through my last year? Also, what did you come out with in your first and second years? As Im just hoping I can pull mine back up to scratch
I just think it's because I have no faith in myself anymore and cannot seem to get the marks I want no matter how much I revise. Being a vet was my dream since the age of 5, and now it feels like I dont even know where to go with my life now. Veterinary nursing is my second option, its close to home,I can also do a veterinary nursing apprenticeship as I have noticed I learn more actually doing than listening. Is there any advice you could give me to get through my last year? Also, what did you come out with in your first and second years? As Im just hoping I can pull mine back up to scratch

I felt that way in first year of vet school and it was because I was going about revision totally the wrong way. I had always sat down and written notes over and over again and it never went in, and in theory that was the worst option for me. I now do flash cards, written using lecture notes so I cut it down to bullet points - much easier to remember in exams than whole paragraphs. That's what I'd advise for 3rd year exams. We were told when i started to do mind maps - but I personally hate them but some people really do well with them. First and second year I did badly, I only passed because my assignments were amazing, I got 40% if that in every exam pretty much. I would say I was on 2:2 first and second year and my final year I worked at it, made sure my dissertation was a first and I worked for my exams slightly harder. If you really want to do vet med and its something you've always dreamed of doing get your head down and work hard, it's possible to pull your grades up at this stage. My problem with biovet was I didn't really want to do it so I didn't care, it was my way into veterinary (so I should have cared but it wasn't the course I wanted to do) but when I realised I was faced with the fact I might not get the 2:1 needed to get into vet school I pulled myself together and sorted it out. I worked as a vet nurse for a year before getting into veterinary and I found myself watching the vets and I didn't feel happy as I wanted to do more, and you may feel like that if you go to do nursing when your dream is to be the vet.
Never ever think you're not good enough or clever enough, it's all about how much work you put in to get where you want to be. I look at people now in my year and I think 'it must be so easy for you, you're naturally clever' but some people learn in different ways, find what works for you and stick at it, even if it takes you several different tries with different notes you make, you'll find something which makes the info stick in your mind eventually - I promise, I got there eventually.

If you need any more help pm me. I'm happy to help you with whatever you need. I was in your situation once, so I know exactly how difficult it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lizzie has providing some very insightful and inspiring comments!

The other thing I noticed was when you said you wanted to be a vet from the age of 5. I think we can really focus on one career and have a very rose tinted view of the profession when we want to do something from a young age. As I approach graduation, I definitely think of the career very differently then when I applied. The reality is that a lot of vet graduates will leave the traditional career in practice and move onto something else. I'm not saying this to put you off in any way. If this is what you really want then you should try to get there or you will regret not trying. But please do consider if you are happy to work as a vet with all its downsides. I'd also advise keeping an open mind. A friend of mine did biovet with the intention of doing the vet degree post grad. Now she is working on a phD and absolutely loves it. She never saw herself doing research at all. But now she says she wouldn't change it for anything else. And know that whatever you do, if you are unhappy, there is always another career tangent you can take to find something more fulfilling.
Good luck. I know it's daunting !
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lizziefickling
There's no such thing as not being smart enough, it's just how you approach learning. I went through my biovet degree doing zero extra work and staying up till 5am. I got to third year and I realised i needed I actually put some effort in, and I came out with a 2:1. I questioned throughout first year of vet school whether I was clever enough and I passed all my exams in summer! It's how you learn stuff you just have to find the best way for yourself, and I didn't find that out till I got to vet school.
I'd be inclined to say that it's probably not the best option for you purely because if you're struggling with workload on a biovet degree due to being homesick, you'll essentially drown under the vet school workload, and it's a stressful degree. Even with vet nursing degrees, it's still not a walk in the park

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey thank you for this,

Any tips to get a 2:1 biovet. what disso title did you opt for or is it okay to view it since i think i am sorting in the same boat. Tysm
Original post by Lizziefickling
I felt that way in first year of vet school and it was because I was going about revision totally the wrong way. I had always sat down and written notes over and over again and it never went in, and in theory that was the worst option for me. I now do flash cards, written using lecture notes so I cut it down to bullet points - much easier to remember in exams than whole paragraphs. That's what I'd advise for 3rd year exams. We were told when i started to do mind maps - but I personally hate them but some people really do well with them. First and second year I did badly, I only passed because my assignments were amazing, I got 40% if that in every exam pretty much. I would say I was on 2:2 first and second year and my final year I worked at it, made sure my dissertation was a first and I worked for my exams slightly harder. If you really want to do vet med and its something you've always dreamed of doing get your head down and work hard, it's possible to pull your grades up at this stage. My problem with biovet was I didn't really want to do it so I didn't care, it was my way into veterinary (so I should have cared but it wasn't the course I wanted to do) but when I realised I was faced with the fact I might not get the 2:1 needed to get into vet school I pulled myself together and sorted it out. I worked as a vet nurse for a year before getting into veterinary and I found myself watching the vets and I didn't feel happy as I wanted to do more, and you may feel like that if you go to do nursing when your dream is to be the vet.
Never ever think you're not good enough or clever enough, it's all about how much work you put in to get where you want to be. I look at people now in my year and I think 'it must be so easy for you, you're naturally clever' but some people learn in different ways, find what works for you and stick at it, even if it takes you several different tries with different notes you make, you'll find something which makes the info stick in your mind eventually - I promise, I got there eventually.

If you need any more help pm me. I'm happy to help you with whatever you need. I was in your situation once, so I know exactly how difficult it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for this. this really put my mind at some sort of ease. Can you be like my tutor to help me through my final year bc i think you understand exactly how i am feeling.
Original post by bels1208
Thank you so much for this. this really put my mind at some sort of ease. Can you be like my tutor to help me through my final year bc i think you understand exactly how i am feeling.

Think I’ve just replied to you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending