The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im doing Unit 5, i did unit 4 in january
Reply 2
I did Unit 5 in January, but resitting that one :/

How did you do in U4?
Reply 3
i didnt like the exam when i finished it, thought id done badly but got full marks 90/90, so dont know what happened there?
Reply 4
Got any tips?!? :biggrin:
Reply 5
James_W
Got any tips?!? :biggrin:

I cant reallly remember much about unit 4, but i do know that i didnt do a lot of revision. I tend to just get the past papers off the website, and do them all, because the same questions always tend to come up, then any questions that i dont know the answer to check the mark scheme (also on the website). Always seems to work for me!
Reply 6
OK cool, thank you!

I actually revised for the first tme for a Unit 1 resit last week and I think I breezed that exam... so gonna work quite hard for Unit 4 today seeing as the exam is tomorrow.
Reply 7
James_W
OK cool, thank you!

I actually revised for the first tme for a Unit 1 resit last week and I think I breezed that exam... so gonna work quite hard for Unit 4 today seeing as the exam is tomorrow.

Yep i reckon if you spend the day revising, and looks at lots of past questions (because they always repeat them) you'll be fine!
Reply 8
i havent really done much revision for ICT tomorrow, more bothered with psychology on Wed

TROD.
Reply 9
I'm going to make notes on ICT4 this morning, do Psychology this afternoon - and then go through ICT4 past papers tonight. Then after ICT4 exam tomorrow, I'm cramming my head full with Psychology. Fun fun fun.
Reply 10
are you allowed to write in bullet points in the exam?
You can write one word answers if it says 'STATE' or 'GIVE' or 'LIST', I think....
As for bullet points....I think that if you expand on them, say it's an 8 mark Q, with 2 marks per point, e.g. Explain 4 issues that a code of practice should address, then you could I s'pose have:

The code should address,

Responsibility: The users should not make excessive demands on company hardware, e.g. increasing network traffic at peak time by sending many large documents to the shared printer at a time.

Accessibility: The users should not attempt to access unauthorised material by using passwords of other users.

Security: Users should not open unknown attatchments from emails, as they may contain a virus.

Penalties for misuse: the penalties for breach of code should be made clear, eg a user could get a pay reduction or a written warning if he breaks the code.

ACTUALLY, I looked at the mark scheme, and this is what it said:

New employees joining a company are each asked to sign an agreement to adhere to a code of practice for using the organisation's computer system
Explain four issues that such a code of practice should address. (8 marks)

Max 4 x (2, 1, 0) but if answer written from user point of view then 1 mark per point maximum. First mark for the issue, then second mark for either an example, or a good expansion or a penalty for misuse point.

- Responsibilities for use of company hardware
- Responsibilities for use of company software
- Responsibilities for use of data
- Responsibilities for correct use of time
- Responsibilities for use of the internet or intranet
- Authorisation paths / levels, access rights / job related security, passwords / ids / physical aspects
- Company's implementation of legislation eg. DPA
NOT
- General responsibilities to public
- Plagiarism
- Locked out when leave company

But the bullet point headings I got from Mott and Leeming, p127-8, where it says that the code of conduct lays down responsibilities of ICT users, authorisation, security and penalties for misuse. hmm...
on p. 129, there is a small section about contents of a CoC, which vaguely looks more like the mark scheme, so when it says 4 issues that code of practice should address, what does that refer to?

AND (I know, long post, but this is important) the AQA people published a distinction between a code of practice and a code of conduct. It looks like it may be named differently in textbooks, etc.

Code of conduct: how professional should behave within an industry in terms of ethical responsibilities, often established by professional body for application across the whole industry.

Code of practice: set of rules which governs the use of ICT systems, established by organisation, must be followed by organisation's employees, may refer to responsibilities of employees, set out penalties for misuse, etc. The code of practice is separate from any legal/ethical considerations.
How lenient is the mark scheme, does anyone know?
Reply 13
ICT4 often comes up with topics, such as:

Qualities of Information

Definition/Use of MIS

And failiure/ways to improve information systems.

Differences between data processing and information systems

User Support/Training

Legislation

Strategies/Policies

The examiners reports on the AQA website should tell you more about the mark schemes.
Reply 14
yup ict 4 only
did 5 in jan... didnt get 90/90 but i got my A so me is happy :smile:

..urm does anyone have the paper and mark schme for ICT 4 for Jan 2004?
Reply 15
Dust
yup ict 4 only
did 5 in jan... didnt get 90/90 but i got my A so me is happy :smile:

..urm does anyone have the paper and mark schme for ICT 4 for Jan 2004?

Scraped a B on Unit 5! Didn't revise for it though, I'm such a loser - got to resit it on Friday now - lengthening my quest for freedom by a day!
Reply 16
lol awww
the stoopid thin with that paper was we were reading sw evaluation
and i was like no way will that come up as the essay question its tooo easy
and it came up :tongue: lol

so no ones got the jan 2004 ict 5?
Reply 17
good luck by the way :wink:
Reply 18
Dust
lol awww
the stoopid thin with that paper was we were reading sw evaluation
and i was like no way will that come up as the essay question its tooo easy
and it came up :tongue: lol

so no ones got the jan 2004 ict 5?

You mean ICT4! :biggrin:

I don't think AQA have released it, they've just relased the exam report.
Reply 19
theaman
You mean ICT4! :biggrin:

I don't think AQA have released it, they've just relased the exam report.

lol yeah 4 its soo confusing doing 5 before 4 lol

...ah okay didnt no that
cheers! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending