The Student Room Group

jessyjellytot14's strive for AAA

Scroll to see replies

Sunday 28/02/16

I've barely done any work this weekend but thats because I went to see Twenty One Pilots yesterday and then slept round my friend's house and stayed there until late afternoon today and then when I got home, I felt too tired and lethargic to do much work.
Before I went out yesterday, I did my Core 2 chapter 6 assessment (radians and their applications) .

Today I have practiced writing a psychology essay on cognitive interviews as we are writing an essay on that topic in class tomorrow in timed conditions. I am aiming to get 12/12 but we'll see how it goes :smile:
Monday 29/02/16

I'm starting to feel stressed about the exams now. I woke up late so I didn't do anything in my first two frees. In psychology, we did the cognitive interview essay in timed conditions and I think I managed to include everything. In double physics, we did suvat equations and motion graphs which aren't too confusing as I did them at gcse but the graphs seem more complicated. In maths, we started chapter 7 of Core 2 which is about geometric series.

Spoiler

When I got home, I did a Core 1 June 2007 paper and got 72/75. I messed up on the reciprocal graph question because I forgot what the translations in the denominator do. Then I did part of my psychology homework about 'social change' but got really stressed out so I didn't finish it. I think I maybe need to finish writing the notes on that topic before attempting to answer the questions. So many notes... so little time... :stupido:
Tuesday 01/03/16
:donut: Lessons:
- Maths: Answered the mixed exercise on discrete random variables because we have a test on it tomorrow.
- Physics: Got our electricity current and resistance tests back, I got a B. I need to work on explaining why things are the way they are.
- Psychology: Learnt about the main stages of attachment in babies. Then we looked at animal studies for attachment, and we learnt about a dude called Lenzo (I think?) who pretended to be a mother of geese.
- Physics: We marked our own mechanics (moments and vectors) assessments and I got a B. There was this one vectors question which I completely messed up on.
:donut: Self study:
- In my free period, I wrote up notes on how social influence can cause social change and started to make notes on definitions of abnormality for psychopathology.
- When I got home, I finished my psychology homework essay. For some reason, I don't think its very good but it took ages to write so I don't want to do it again.
- I answered exercise 7B in the Core 2 textbook which was fairly straightforward. I had a look at the next part of the chapter which is solving growth and decay problems using geometric sequences but it looks really complicated so i'll just wait until we learn it in class tomorrow.

Now i'm going to write in my planner what homework and revision i'm going to do each day of this week because I can't be productive without a plan to guide me!

Here is a quote from one of Eminem's songs/raps which keeps replaying in my mind and driving me forward:
" Success is my only mother:kitty::kitty::kitty::kitty:ing option, failure's not "
(edited 8 years ago)
Wednesday 02/03/16
Wow I am super exhausted today :sleep:. In the morning, I did a couple of questions in my physics electricity booklet and then marked my physics mock re-sit (my teacher didn't mark it because I hit my target grade the first time around). This time, I got 82% which is only just an A.
- In maths, we learnt how to solve growth and decay problems using geometric sequences which isn't actually that hard.
- In my afternoon frees, I answered lots of past exam questions on discrete random variables (S1) and by the end of the two hours, my brain felt fried. Immediately after this, I had my stats test on this topic and I think i've done alright. There were a couple of questions which I had no clue how to solve but I think a lot of people in my class were in the same boat so I don't mind.
When I got home, I:
- Finished most of exercise 7C from the core 2 textbook
- Wrote more notes on 'definitions of abnormality' for psychology
- Was going to begin self teaching the final chapter of S1 but I think I'm just going to do this at the weekend when I have more time and don't feel like a zombie
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Ah okay yeah if I do it next year then i'll probably have classes for it :smile:
But i might teach myself some of FP1 in advance

What did you achieve at GCSE for maths?
Original post by Rajive
What did you achieve at GCSE for maths?

An A
Thursday 03/03/16

Zzzzzz why do I still feel so tired?

Lessons:
Maths: We answered questions on finding the sum of geometric series. In theory, it looks easy but my incorrect answers to all of the questions i've attempted suggests otherwise...
Physics: We learnt about circuit rules, such as how the current and potential difference vary in parallel circuits and series circuits.
Tutor: We were in IT rooms but when I looked through the window in the door, all of the seats around my friends were taken and if I would've gone in, I would've been sat on my own anyway so I just went home.
Self study:
Psychology: I wrote the rest of the notes about 'definitions of abnormality'. I certainly deviate from Jahoda's criteria for ideal mental health lolololol #DefinitelyNotStressedAboutA-LevelsLiterally100%OfMyLife :colone:
Physics: Revised the waves topic. Aka read through my notes and looked at past exam questions and internally cried. Ughhh I hate this topic. I just never know what to do, even though I understand the theories.
Maths: Flopped the second question of the exercise on sums of geometric series. I just don't have the mental capacity to do it right now.

So, I'm going to have a really early night because I feel so so so tired
Friday 04/03/16

Feeling a bit more energised today.
Lessons:
Psychology: We briefly went over the four definitions of abnormality and then our teacher let us leave half way through the lesson because she was feeling ill and we were all complaining that she'll spread her germs to us :giggle: .
Self Study:
- In the morning, I did a Core 1 January 2007 paper but i'm not going to mark it because I used ExamSolutions to help me answer a couple of questions.
- I managed to wrap my head around how to find the sum of a geometric series (Core 2). This took quite a few hours....
- Had a brain wave and came up with a new method of doing physics revision... I basically have an app called Quizlet (you can also make an account online) where you can make flashcards. What I decided to do is read through some past papers and make flashcards based on the questions that just ask you for definitions or simple explanations, and I used the mark schemes to come up with model answers. The good thing about Quizlet is that once you have made a set of flashcards, there is a nice range of activities you can do to help you learn them... so its not always just a case of tirelessly reading the questions and answers over and over again.
To Do:
- I still need to finish making notes on attachment for psychology. I'm going to write the evaluation points on post-it notes and stick these below my notes to spice things up a bit.
Saturday 05/03/16
:donut:Maths: Answered the majority of exercise 7E in my Core 2 textbook, which is about finding the sum to infinity of geometric series.
:donut:Psychology: Got up to date with where we are in the attachment topic by writing the evaluation points for each theory/piece of research. Today I discovered that I have been under-appreciating post-it notes; they can make your revision notes look so much more interesting!
:donut:Physics: I haven't done anything as of yet, but i'm going to continue making exam question style flashcards for particles on Quizlet soon. Once i've finished, i'll post the link/url in a future blog post for anyone whose interested.

I have a decent amount of work which I hope to get through tomorrow:
. Maths (Core 2): Answer as many past exam questions on chapter 7 as possible to get a thorough understanding.
. Maths (Stats 1): Watch most (preferably all) of the tutorials on chapter 9 normal distributions and make notes on it.
. Physics: Finish making the particle flashcards on quizlet and spend at least half an hour learning them.

I also need to come up with a plan on how i'm going to start self-teaching FP1, greek and french.
Sunday 06/03/16

:donut: Maths: (C2) I answered lots of past exam questions on geometric series and now I am feeling quite confident with the topic.

:donut: Maths: (S1) Used the ExamSolutions tutorials to learn the entirety of chapter 9 which is on normal distributions. Now I just need to practice the textbook questions throughout next week.

:donut: Physics: I have now finished making the particle flashcards on Quizlet. This is the link for anyone who would like to see or use them: [ https://quizlet.com/_22ubg7 ] (You may have to just copy and paste the link into your browser)

:donut: I downloaded some apps onto my phone that will help me to learn greek. For french, I will use Duolingo and for FP1, i'll use ExamSolutions. How I find FP1 will determine whether or not I choose to do further maths AS next year, because if I don't enjoy the content then theres no point in wasting my time (and the sixth form's time). Hopefully i'll find it okay and enjoy learning it though!
Monday 07/03/16

I definitely haven't been as productive as i'd hoped today, but I've had worse days.
Lessons:
Psychology: We got our essays back that we did in timed conditions last week and I got 12/12 YAY!! This has given me hope that it is possible for me to write an excellent essay in the exam without having to spend ages on it. Plus, this also means that writing essay flashcards has been very effective.
Physics: We answered more suvat questions based on projectiles which is okay, but the textbook questions make no sense so our teacher printed off some exam questions from another exam board. To be honest, I'm finding it difficult, so I'm going to have to try them again tomorrow.
Maths: We got our C2 radians tests back and I got 98% :biggrin:. I lost one mark due to a rounding error.
Self Study:
Maths: In the morning, I did a C1 June 2006 paper and got 67/75 aka 89% which i'm definitely not happy with. Its so infuriating how in every single paper I do, I keep making silly mistakes. To improve, I think I need to start thinking about the questions more, rather than just rushing to write an answer. Think before you speak --> think before you write!
Maths: I watched some of the ExamSolutions tutorials on trigonometric ratios and the quadrant rule, and made notes.

Aaaaand thats it! I really should have wrote some more notes for psychology because theres so much I need to do, but I haven't! Once it gets to 9pm, i'm just too tired to focus on work. I seriously need more hours in the day (plus learn to be more time efficient!).
Wednesday 09/03/16

Sorry I didn't post yesterday- things are starting to get really hectic now! Yesterday I found out that I have another mock exam for psychology next Thursday and Friday, so effectively, I have 9 days to revise 6 entire topics in full detail. On top of this, my teachers are still setting us essays to do and telling us to write notes on future topics and arrrgghhh. I am freaking out because I don't know how i'm going to manage to revise and remember every single research study- because any of them could be the basis of the 12-mark question(s)!!
Maths is going okay so far, but in physics, i'm struggling with the mechanics part although my exam for that isn't until June, so i'm not too worried. Anyway, today:

Lessons:
Maths- We learned how to draw the trigonometric graphs of sin, cos and tan and how to work out ratios from these.
Maths- Got our S1 discrete random variables tests back and I got 83%, so an A. It was a really hard test. Then we answered questions on normal distributions but I was feeling apathetic so didn't do much. Will make up for it later.
Self study:
Psychology: Made flashcards on the whole topic of social influence which took a few hours. And I still need to make essay flashcards on this topic that include all the evaluation points!
To-do tonight:
Psychology: Make notes on depression for psychopathology.
Maths: Go through exercise 9B in the S1 textbook.
Thursday 10/03/16

Lessons:
Maths: We went on MyMaths and did the activities on trigonometric graphs.
Physics: We answered past exam questions on working out voltage and current for individual resistors in circuits which is quite tricky.
Self Study:
Psychology: I made flashcards on all of the attachment topic that we have covered in class so far. I haven't done flashcards for the essay questions yet because that would be way too time consuming to do in one day.
Maths: I learnt how to do trigonometric graph transformations and did the online homework on MyMaths which is based on this.
Friday 11/03/16
Today has been pretty laid back tbh. In the morning, I started to make some essay flashcards for the social influence topic of psychology. There are so many! In double psychology, we learnt about phobias and depression. After sixth form, all I did was do a Core 1 January 2006 paper for maths and got 73/75. I forgot that dividing by a half is the same as multiplying by two :tongue:.
Saturday 12/03/16
I'm going to create a little to-do list of what I need to get done today. There is quite a lot, due to my laziness yesterday. Oops.

:donut:Maths: Stats 1- Do a good mixture of the exercises on normal distributions from the textbook to get a thorough understanding.

:donut:Maths: Core 2- Redo the mymaths homework on trigonometric graph transformations and also do the tangent graphs homework.

:donut:Psychology: Revise the whole of the memory topic and make flashcards on whatever I haven't yet made flashcards on.

:donut:Physics: Attempt the electricity workbook questions, using the mark schemes to guide me if I get stuck (its not cheating if you are learning how to approach a question!!)

Green = Completed. Red = Outstanding
(edited 8 years ago)
Sunday 13/03/16

Physics: I answered about half of the questions in the DC circuits workbook. I'll do the rest tomorrow after sixth form.

Psychology: I revised research methods whilst watching The Circus Tour DVD by Take That. Aaaah I love Take That. Then I did a little bit of revision on attachment by making some essay flashcards, but I haven't done all of them yet.

I know I have been very unproductive this weekend...I have been feeling very lazy. I'm going to 'nip this in the bud' tomorrow though because I have soooo much to do. So, i'm going to allocate time periods for everything that needs doing and praise to the Lord that I manage to stick to everything. I'll add it in a spoiler.

Spoiler

Tuesday 15/03/16

Hmmm so I didn't end up sticking to my plan yesterday at all- hence the lack of post. I was literally in the worst mood ever and ended up not going to any of my afternoon lessons because I knew I wouldn't be able to work to the best of my ability. Luckily though, it turns out my physics teacher wasn't even in so I didn't miss out on much. I'm not saying you should skip lessons when you're feeling stressed/upset or whatever (especially if you're in year 11 or below) but sometimes, allowing yourself to just go off and clear your mind and relax really does help. Its okay to have days where you are completely unproductive; these are days in which you can refuel. Obviously, this isn't something you should make a habit of, but if you're like me and your life is just work,work,work,work, then letting yourself have a day off once in a while is important.
Anyway, today:

Lessons:
Maths: We learnt how to find the mean and standard deviation given a normal distribution.
Physics: We did our electricity required practical and for the first time ever, my group managed to get accurate results! When we plotted our graphs, we actually got a straight line through the origin! (Almost)
Psychology: We learnt about cultural studies based on Ainsworth's strange situation and then watched a video about a girl who was abandoned by her family in her bedroom for 13 years and was never even taught how to speak!!!
Self study:
Psychology: I revised the attachment topic for what we have learnt so far and also revised the memory topic.
Physics: I completed the DC circuits workbook.
Thursday 17/03/16
I haven't been posting as frequently as I usually do this week because I've mainly just been focusing on the psychology mock exams that I had today and I have the second one tomorrow. I think the paper I did today went really well- now I just have to hope that tomorrow's will be as nice. I have been neglecting maths this week though and the mechanics part of physics but I will catch up on these at the weekend for sure. Instead of trying to cram more psychology into my head tonight*, I think i'm going to wind down by doing a C1 paper for maths instead.

* Cramming is often not necessary. Why, you may ask? Well, all (or at least most) of the information you need to know for your exams/tests is already in your long-term memory. It is available, but it is not always accessible because you do not always have the right cues available to trigger the memories. So, instead of repeatedly writing out detailed notes or reading through the textbooks, try to associate each topic with a cue. For example, for psychology, you could associate a research study with a picture of one of the main elements used in the study, such as a dog with a bowl of food and a bell. Seeing and/or thinking about that particular picture will then trigger more memories of that topic than if you had simply just tried to memorise the entire textbook chapter word-for-word. If pictures don't work for you, then could always do the same with a word or short phrase.

Update: I did the C1 paper (Jan 2005) and got 72/75.
(edited 8 years ago)
Friday 18/03/16

So today was the day of the second psychology mock paper. I spent most of the morning revising biopsychology and psychopathology and then I revised the approaches after lunch. The mock exam was alright- I completely forgot what introspection is, which was the first question!! I just hope i've done well enough to get an A in each paper!
Once I got home, I briefly had a look at solving trig equations for core 2 but I will self-teach it properly tomorrow. I also need to catch up with the mechanics work for physics.
Good job on the C1 paper :borat: and good luck with the mock results! :rave::rave:
Original post by SeanFM
Good job on the C1 paper :borat: and good luck with the mock results! :rave::rave:

Thank you!! :grin: :crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending