The Student Room Group

jessyjellytot14's strive for AAA

Scroll to see replies

Saturday 19/03/16
In the morning, I used ExamSolutions (bae) to learn how to solve trig equations. In the afternoon, I wrote notes on what we have done so far in mechanics in physics so I can understand the theory better. I was going to answer some questions that my teacher emailed to us but the document won't open so I'll just answer some different questions.
Sunday 20/03/16
So far today I have done the C1 June 2015 paper which I initially got a U on when I did it at school, but today I managed to get 93%!! This paper is horrible compared to previous papers because it seems that each question requires much more thought than usual so it is also time-consuming. Oh well, I'm going to start working my way through the solomon papers as of tomorrow so I will (hopefully) be prepared for whatever Edexcel decide to throw at me on the 18th May!
For the rest of today, I am planning to:
- Maths: C2- Do the mymaths homeworks on trig equations. [ X ]
- Physics: Mechanics- Answer some past exam questions on projectiles and F=ma. [ X ]
- Physics: Electricity- Answer some past exam questions on DC circuits for the test on Tuesday. [ ]
- Maths: S1- Make a start on the normal distributions homework/assessment. I might do this in timed conditions actually. [ X ]

EDIT: Today I discovered that mymaths is very useful for learning and practicing mechanics questions, even though i'm only currently studying mechanics in physics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Tuesday 22/03/16

Gaahhh so I haven't been particularly productive today or yesterday, all I've really done is write up a few class notes. Bad, I know! However, I've received a couple of assessment marks which I feel is probably worth mentioning:
Maths C2 geometric sequences test: 100%!!! = A
Maths S1 normal distribution test: 90% = A
We haven't got our psychology mock results yet, I think we'll be getting them on Tuesday next week.

So now after having briefly looking into chapter 9 (differentiation) of core 2, I'm going to catch up on my psychology notes because I am a slow writer in class and then if I still feel awake, I'll answer a question from another electricity workbook we got given in physics.
Friday 25/03/16
So since today was Good Friday, I didn't have to go to sixth form. I was out for literally the whole day though with my family and I probably should've took some work with me to do on the train but I didn't :tongue:! In the evening when I got home, I did the Core 1 Solomon paper A for maths and got 88% and then I made lots of flashcards for the quantum phenomena topic in physics on Quizlet. I'm currently freaking out about physics because I thought that Paper 1 which I have in May will just consist of particles, quantum phenomena and electricity, like it has done in previous years, and Paper 2 in June will consist of waves, mechanics and materials. But no! From this year onwards, Paper 1 will consist of questions from ALL 5 of the topics and Paper 2 will have data analysis questions and then 30 multiple choice questions! I am so doomed...
Saturday 26/03/16
I have a lot to do today due to the excellent procrastination skills which I put in practice this week. This morning I watched all of the ExamSolutions tutorials on C2 differentiation and made notes. For the rest of today, my to-do list is:

Psychology: Make notes on the behavioural approach to treating phobias. [ X ]
Maths: Core 1 June 2005 paper [ X ] Got 91%
Maths: Stats 1 January 2010 paper [ ] Did June 2014 instead bc rebel
Physics: Make waves flashcards on Quizlet. [ ] Did particles instead
(edited 8 years ago)
Sunday 27/03/16

Happy Easter! I have done a fair amount of things today...sort of.
I finished off the S1 June 2014 paper I started yesterday but still need to mark it. In the afternoon, I made notes on the cognitive approach to explaining depression for psychology and then did a couple of exam questions on differentiation application questions for C2.
In the evening, I wrote a list of everything I need to know for my psychology exams so I can start to plan when I am going to study everything! I'm going to do this for physics as well but I already have a printed out version of the specification so I don't need to write it all out.
I'm going to try and make tomorrow as productive as possible; I need to plan when I'm going to go over each topic for psychology and physics (plus any maths topics I don't fully understand) and when I'm going to do past papers, spend about an hour doing some more C2 differentiation exam questions, spend an hour or so watching ExamSolutions tutorials on C2 integration and make notes, finish writing my psychology attachment notes and finally, do some mechanics exam questions for physics and do the MyMaths homeworks. I also need to do the S1 January 2010 paper my teacher wants us to do.
Oh and I just remembered I have to do some of my physics electricity workbook questions too. Yikes- there is no room for procrastination tomorrow!!
Monday 28/03/16

I've tried to study my subjects at the same times i usually have lessons for them today which sort of worked out.
Psychology: I finished making notes on the attachment studies we have learnt so far.
Physics: I did question 1-4 in the internal resistance workbook, although most of this hour was spent trying to find the solutions online to make sure I was using the right methods. Then I was going to do some mechanics questions but decided not to.
Maths: I did another past exam question on differentiation application and I think I'm getting the hang of it now. I just need to familiarise myself with the shape geometry equations.
Maths: I did the solomon B paper for core 1 and got 73/75!!!
I have the stats past paper due in tomorrow which I haven't done but oh well. I might do the first couple of questions later but we'll see.
For the rest of tonight, I'm going to plan what topics i'm going to study each day of this week in my planner and hopefully go to sleep by 11. Tomorrow I am getting my DC circuits test result in physics and more importantly- my psychology mock result!!!!
Reply 85
Just wanted to ask how you revised for physics
Original post by OGGUS
Just wanted to ask how you revised for physics

Physics is actually the hardest subject I find to revise for, but my main method is just making flashcards on the definitions and answering past exam questions. If there's a particular topic i'm struggling with, I read about it from a wide variety of sources such as my textbook, revision guide, class notes and online websites. I think the reason its so hard to revise for is because as well as having to understand the topics, you also have to know how to apply your knowledge to questions, so I think 'practice' is more useful than revision most of the time :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Physics is actually the hardest subject I find to revise for, but my main method is just making flashcards on the definitions and answering past exam questions. If there's a particular topic i'm struggling with, I read about it from a wide variety of sources such as my textbook, revision guide, class notes and online websites. I think the reason its so hard to revise for is because as well as having to understand the topics, you also have to know how to apply your knowledge to questions, so I think 'practice' is more useful than revision most of the time :smile:

okay thanks :smile::biggrin:
Tuesday 29/03/16

I'm currently really tired so I won't go over everything that happened in each lesson but in psychology we got our mock papers back and I got a B - 72% on the first paper which I am quite disappointed with tbh and an A - 89% in the second paper which thankfully brought my overall grade up to an A! The reason I didn't do so well on the first paper is that I didn't know that 'discuss' means describe AND evaluate, so I only got 6/12 marks on the 12 mark questions. As a whole, I am pleased with my results because I have a month of solid revision and past paper questions ahead of me which means that my psychology grade is on a roller-coaster that only goes up, my friend! Okay, that was a cheesy reference to The Fault In Our Stars :tongue:. I'M SORRY

When I got home from sixth form, I finished the January 2010 S1 paper which is due in tomorrow and then I watched a couple of videos on core 2 integration. After that, I used all of my notes and the specification to make waves flashcards on quizlet for physics. I'm not feeling too worried about waves anymore, I just need to answer as many past exam questions as I can. And actually using the flashcards i've made will also be helpful!
Reply 89
Is it okay to start revision now revision being 6 full weeks of just past papers before the real exams
Original post by Lazy911
Is it okay to start revision now revision being 6 full weeks of just past papers before the real exams

Definitely! Remember that any revision you've done for end-of-chapter tests and mock exams counts as revision for your proper exams too! Past papers in my opinion are one of the best ways to revise so you should be fine :smile:
Friday 01/04/16

You know exams are getting closer when you can't even spare 10 minutes to write a blog post every day anymore :tongue:!

Today was the last day of term so now I have 2 weeks off sixth form :biggrin:. However, I won't really class it as a 'holiday' because I have soooo much revision planned. I will try my best to update on here every day though. In double psychology, we went over the cognitive approach to explaining depression. Revision/ self-study wise, I have:
Psychology: Finished making notes on the attachment topic.
Maths: Did a C1 Solomon C paper and made sooo many silly mistakes. I got 63/75 oops.
To do still:
Maths: Use exam solutions to make notes on the trapezium rule.
Physics: Finish the internal resistance workbook.
Why do I always leave things until late at night?
Reply 92
Heyy do you do 3 subjects?
Original post by Mo9
Heyy do you do 3 subjects?

Yes- I was doing 4 before but I dropped chemistry because I hated it
Sunday 10/04/16

Apologies for the lack of updates this past week! I haven't really been as productive as i'd hoped so I didn't see the point in posting anything. On an average day, I've done one or two past papers for maths and then about an hour or so of revision for psychology or physics. Next week, I definitely need to be more self-disciplined. Going to sleep earlier and waking up earlier will probably be useful as well. So far today, I have done an S1 past paper (Jan 2011) and once I've posted this, I'm going to spend a couple of hours revising the attachment topic for psychology before doing a C1 solomon paper. Then after dinner, I need to practice some mechanics questions for physics.
I hope you're all having a nice Easter break or have had a nice Easter break!
Friday 15/04/16
Quick update- I've been feeling really unmotivated to revise this week. I've done a few bits here and there but certainly no rigorous full days of study like I had planned. Without trying to sound like i'm making excuses for myself, I don't think this is too bad because the last thing I want to do is burn out now when my exams are still about four weeks away. I know for a fact that when I go back to sixth form on Monday, the teachers are going to be getting us to revise every single lesson and then in my free periods and in the evenings I'll be revising because I find it easier to revise when I have structure to my day. Plus, I have been revising as I go along since January so its not like I'm completely clueless when it comes to the content.
So, today's laid back agenda has been:
Maths: I finally finished the C2 January 2010 paper which I have been coming back to for the past three days. I haven't marked it yet though.
Physics: I attempted to revise materials but then gave up when I discovered there are no past exam questions on this part of the new syllabus. Fab.
Psychology: I'm currently revising the first part of the psychopathology topic. This mainly involves me reading my notes and then reciting them back to myself without looking at them. I've found that re-writing notes over and over and writing everything out onto flashcards isn't very useful for me because it doesn't make the information stay in my brain. Plus I find sifting through piles and piles of flashcards incredibly boring.
Maths: I'm going to do a C1 solomon paper later on so wish me luck :smile:

Update @ 22:33 - I did the C1 solomon I paper and got 70/75.
-On the C2 Jan 2010 paper I got 68/75
(edited 8 years ago)
Saturday 16/04/16

Exactly one month until my first psychology exam!!!!!
Today I have:
Completed a past paper for S1 (June 2011). I haven't marked it because my teacher wants to mark the past papers we've done over Easter.
:bear:Completed a past paper for C2 (June 2009) and got 68/75.
:bear:Revised explanations of attachment for psychology.

:bear:Now i'm going to attempt a unit 2 past paper for physics which consists of waves, mechanics and materials whilst watching TV. I know having the television on at the same time isn't the best idea but I don't want to miss Pointless, Michael Mcintyre or Britains Got Talent sooo :colone:.
Sunday 17/04/16

The weather has been lovely today so in the morning, I went out for a walk with my family.
In the afternoon, I did a C1 Solomon (J) paper and got 66/75. I completely messed up on the sequences question because I didn't understand what it was asking. Also, I didn't know how to simplify a surd of a decimal, but I highly doubt the actual exam will have such a nasty surds question.
After that, I revised 'factors affecting eyewitness testimony' for psychology by making a poster. I shall attach a photo of this...

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Friday 22/04/16

This week has been relatively productive, but I haven't done as much revision as I feel as though I should be doing at this stage. I have done a good selection of past papers for C1, C2 and S1 and revised the topics I don't feel confident in for psychology, such as bio-psychology. I haven't done much physics at all which I feel awfully guilty about. In fact, I should've been doing a past paper for it this evening but my family want me to sit downstairs with them instead.
Here is a biopsychology poster which I made a few days ago.
0ffd5a9a-c4ce-49f3-b710-0c4b508629ee.jpg
Sunday 24/04/16

I have mainly done past papers this weekend so i'll list all of the ones i've done and the marks I got for each one:
Maths:
C1 Edexcel Solomon L: 67/75 = 89%
C1 AQA June 2014: 72/75 = 96% (I decided to try an exam paper from a different exam board)
C2 Edexcel June 2007: 71/75 = 95%
C2 Edexcel January 2007: 64/75 = 85%
C2 Edexcel June 2006: 71/75 = 95%
S1 Edexcel June 2009: 57/75 = 76% (Yep, this needs a lot of work!)

Physics:
AQA June 2014 paper 1: 56/70 = 80%
AQA June 2014 paper 2: 46/70 = 66% (Definitely need to practice mechanics more!)

Psychology:
I haven't done any past papers as of yet but I have finished revising the biopsychology topic and hopefully later i'll feel awake enough to revise the social influence topic. Tomorrow I'll be starting past papers for psychology.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending