The Student Room Group

jessyjellytot14's strive for AAA

Scroll to see replies

Tuesday 14/06/16

One day to go until S1 and then exams are over! (until next year). I'm actually expecting the worst from Edexcel so I feel rather anxious about the exam. I can't afford to make lots of silly mistakes but that's not to say that I won't. Oh well, I've just got to think positive. I'm going to wake up early tomorrow (at about 6/6:30) not to revise, but to just relax my mind and mentally prepare myself and probably do some yoga.
The past papers i'm doing today are:

Edexcel Jan 2016 IAL: 68/75 - There was an evil question where you had to form a quadratic from a tree diagram (wtaf?) and then they used an expression for the variance which I haven't been taught so #FunTimes !!
Edexcel Solomon L: 69/75
Edexcel Jan 2013: 68/75
Edexcel June 2015: 67/75
Edexcel Jan 2011: I'm just gonna read through the paper and mark scheme because i'm really tired.
Edexcel June 1756 : (Jk)

Literally all the marks i'm losing (apart from a couple in the IAL paper) are due to silly mistakes and not reading the question properly ugh. Doing another whole past paper won't help this so i'm just going to relax for the rest of the night and try to go to sleep early as i'm going to wake up early. I'm also going to research how to reduce silly mistakes in exams and if I find anything that's useful, i'll write about it in a later post.

I really don't want to go back to sixth form tomorrow :\ Literally half an hour after my maths exam finishes, I have a bloody maths lesson! And then three hours of nothing and then another maths lesson. If S1 goes badly, then i'll probably just come home after my first maths lesson. #Reckless

" Don't stress. Do your best. Forget the rest. "

"Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle. "
(edited 7 years ago)
Wednesday 15/06/16 ~ Day of maths exam 3/3 [Edexcel are wastemen ]

A big juicy post...
I was right to expect the worst from Edexcel lmao. There's about 10 marks that I know i've definitely lost and then I've probably lost at least 5 marks worth of silly mistakes. Even if I get a low A on this paper, it probably still won't be enough to give me an A overall. I just feel so horrible right now. I can sit ranting about the exam board but at this point, I just feel completely stupid. I know its not the end of the world getting a B (heck, I should be grateful for being confident of getting at least a B) but its just SO frustrating knowing that if I would've sat the exams in a previous year, I would have done SO much better. I actually feel personally victimised which is just ridiculous considering thousands of people have sat the same exams and they were written over a year ago. I'm not even going to bother looking at the unofficial mark scheme because it will just make me feel worse. I haven't even been my lessons after the exam because I'm not in the mood to face my maths teachers at the moment, knowing that they have such high expectations for me and i'm just not going to meet them. Ugh. I guess you could say that i've set my expectations too high but even if I lowered them, sixth form still "expect" me to get AAA .

Spoiler

Anyway, on a more positive note, my AS exams are now over! I definitely need to force myself into lessons tomorrow so that I don't miss out on any more of the A2 stuff. I'm also quite excited for summer (in July alone, i'm going to Wales [for the Bangor open day], Switzerland [with sixth form] and Greece [with my family]).The second half of August will probably be rather uneventful apart from results day [ew] and doing psychology reading/drafting my personal statement.
I've also been thinking, that maybe if I don't do very well in my exams this year, I could transfer to a different college and completely redo year 12 and do different A-levels. I'd still do maths and psychology but i'd do french instead of physics and then i'd do either art or creative writing. It all depends how results day goes though. Soz for being dramatic but these are my thoughts LOL.

As much as i'd love to continue writing this blog on a daily basis, i'm not going to any more because my AS exams are finished and this is my strive for AAA in those exams after all. I will however do an update tomorrow on how I think all of my exams have gone and also one about general AS and sixth form tips that i've learnt over the past year. And then of course, I'll do an update on results day. :ahhhhh::afraid::ahhhhh::afraid:
(edited 7 years ago)
Thursday 16/06/16

Exam overview & predictions

I haven't really looked at the unofficial mark schemes in too much detail (apart from maths) so i'm not sure about how many marks i'll have for psychology or physics but I have an approximate idea.
Psychology
Paper 1: This was my best exam in my opinion. There were only a couple of questions which I wasn't fully confident in but i'm pretty sure I haven't dropped too many marks so I think I may have got an A in this paper.
Paper 2: I haven't looked at the unofficial mark scheme because compared to the actual mark scheme, it is very vague and not representative of how well you may have done but i'm going to guess i've got either a low A if not a high B.

Overall: High B/low A depending on grade boundaries.
Maths
Core 1: This paper was going so well up until question 8 which I spent waaayyyy too long on and didn't even get the correct answer for at the end. I then only had 15 minutes left to do the rest of the questions and as a result, I rushed and made lots of careless mistakes. I've probably dropped between 16-18 marks which will put me at a B. I'm going to see if I can resit this exam next year but apparently my sixth form only let people resit exams if they resit the whole year which sucks.
Core 2: I'm actually quite happy with how this paper went- although unfortunately, the two questions which I struggled with are very mark-heavy (logs question was worth 7 marks, first half of applied differentiation question was worth 8 marks) but hopefully i'll get some method marks for the logs question as it was only the final steps that I did incorrectly. Therefore, I think i'll either get a low A or a high B if the grade boundaries will be as high as some people are saying.
Stats 1: This exam actually felt like a [bad] dream. I literally opened the paper, wrote some numbers down and suddenly the whole 90 minutes were up and I didn't have time to check my answers or attempt the entire question worth 9 marks which I didn't understand :frown:. There are also a further 6 marks which I know I have lost so I think i'll either scrape an A or get a high B if there are even more mistakes that i've made. Very disappointing as I usually finished with 20 minutes to spare when I did the past papers and the Solomon papers. Again, if i'm allowed to resit this in year 13 then I will.

Overall: B. Even if i'm not allowed to resit any of the AS modules, this can still be brought up to an A if I do better in my A2 exams, so it isn't the end of the world.
Physics
Paper 1: It wasn't as bad as I was expecting but i've dropped lots of marks on the electricity and mechanics questions which I didn't revise as much as I should have. Therefore, I think i'll either get a high C or a B, depending on the grade boundaries (quite a lot of people who do physics A-level get low grades according to my teacher :dontknow:, so hopefully this will drag the boundaries down).
Paper 2: Definitely my worst exam. I'm expecting anything from a C to an E. I'm literally useless in the data analysis section (even though I do S1 lmao) and made loooooots of mistakes elsewhere.

Overall: C or D. I definitely need to put more effort into physics next year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Thursday 16/06/16

Exam overview & predictions

I haven't really looked at the unofficial mark schemes in too much detail (apart from maths) so i'm not sure about how many marks i'll have for psychology or physics but I have an approximate idea.
Psychology
Paper 1: This was my best exam in my opinion. There were only a couple of questions which I wasn't fully confident in but i'm pretty sure I haven't dropped too many marks so I think I may have got an A in this paper.
Paper 2: I haven't looked at the unofficial mark scheme because compared to the actual mark scheme, it is very vague and not representative of how well you may have done but i'm going to guess i've got either a low A if not a high B.

Overall: High B/low A depending on grade boundaries.
Maths
Core 1: This paper was going so well up until question 8 which I spent waaayyyy too long on and didn't even get the correct answer for at the end. I then only had 15 minutes left to do the rest of the questions and as a result, I rushed and made lots of careless mistakes. I've probably dropped between 16-18 marks which will put me at a B. I'm going to see if I can resit this exam next year but apparently my sixth form only let people resit exams if they resit the whole year which sucks.
Core 2: I'm actually quite happy with how this paper went- although unfortunately, the two questions which I struggled with are very mark-heavy (logs question was worth 7 marks, first half of applied differentiation question was worth 8 marks) but hopefully i'll get some method marks for the logs question as it was only the final steps that I did incorrectly. Therefore, I think i'll either get a low A or a high B if the grade boundaries will be as high as some people are saying.
Stats 1: This exam actually felt like a [bad] dream. I literally opened the paper, wrote some numbers down and suddenly the whole 90 minutes were up and I didn't have time to check my answers or attempt the entire question worth 9 marks which I didn't understand :frown:. There are also a further 6 marks which I know I have lost so I think i'll either scrape an A or get a high B if there are even more mistakes that i've made. Very disappointing as I usually finished with 20 minutes to spare when I did the past papers and the Solomon papers. Again, if i'm allowed to resit this in year 13 then I will.

Overall: B. Even if i'm not allowed to resit any of the AS modules, this can still be brought up to an A if I do better in my A2 exams, so it isn't the end of the world.
Physics
Paper 1: It wasn't as bad as I was expecting but i've dropped lots of marks on the electricity and mechanics questions which I didn't revise as much as I should have. Therefore, I think i'll either get a high C or a B, depending on the grade boundaries (quite a lot of people who do physics A-level get low grades according to my teacher :dontknow:, so hopefully this will drag the boundaries down).
Paper 2: Definitely my worst exam. I'm expecting anything from a C to an E. I'm literally useless in the data analysis section (even though I do S1 lmao) and made loooooots of mistakes elsewhere.

Overall: C or D. I definitely need to put more effort into physics next year.

Im sure it wont be that bad! At least your modules are all linear (except Maths) so you can pick your grades up! And you can always resit the one or two bad modules in Maths :smile:
It Was fun reading your GYG thread =) Be sure to do it again next year! =)
It has been really fun/motivating reading your thread please make sure you do one next year as I want to know how you have done overall and everything. Have a good summer it is very well deserved!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Someboady
Im sure it wont be that bad! At least your modules are all linear (except Maths) so you can pick your grades up! And you can always resit the one or two bad modules in Maths :smile:
It Was fun reading your GYG thread =) Be sure to do it again next year! =)

Original post by alexamigo98
It has been really fun/motivating reading your thread please make sure you do one next year as I want to know how you have done overall and everything. Have a good summer it is very well deserved!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and i'm glad you enjoyed doing so :smile: I'll definitely be doing another one next year and i'll keep you posted on my results however good or bad they turn out to be!
I'm going to be keeping a separate blog now which will be similar to this (but hopefully better and more interesting) so feel free to have a read of it if you are interested. I'll still be doing 'Grow Your Grades' next year but this is where i'll be blogging for the mean time :smile:
https://anaspiringclinicalpsychologistsj ourney.wordpress.com/
(edited 7 years ago)
Wednesday 17/08/16

Hello again! Since I am unable to take my mind off anything apart from results day which is tomorrow, I'm going to dump my thoughts here in this post.

How was your summer? Mine has actually been pretty good. I've been on holiday to Switzerland and Greece which was very nice.

I told myself I wouldn't look at the grade boundaries today but I have. Psychology seems quite decent- 72% for an A. Physics looks lethal. If I get a B or above, it will be a miracle. Seriously, how are the grade boundaries so high? Much to my surprise, the grade boundaries for maths seem fair. 180 marks overall needed for an A. I think I've got between 175 and 181 marks. I don't know. My memory of what I put for each question has gotten foggy. It also depends on how harsh the examiners have been. Also, I could've made even more silly mistakes than I'm aware of.

I've decided that tomorrow I'm just going to walk into sixth form, pick up my envelope, walk home and open it in my room. I don't want anyone to see my reaction. I also don't want to have people coming up to me asking what I've got. They all think that I'm so smart . Ha. Lol. We're not allowed to collect our results until 10am which is quite late in my opinion. I wish they could just post our results to our houses or put them online.

If you're collecting your AS/A2 results tomorrow, I wish you the best of luck!

[video="youtube;SXWX04fjSDE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXWX04fjSDE[/video]
How the education system has made me feel.
WARNING: If you don't want to hear a man called Dave scream/roar then you probably won't like this song very much. Dave only does screamo for a small part of the song though. Andy sings the rest.
I HAVE MY RESULTS!!!

PSYCHOLOGY: A
MATHS: A OMFGFGHDJVHJVH
PHYSICS: D BUT IDC BECAUSE IT WON'T AFFECT MY OVERALL GRADE

Omfg but seriously, when I saw that I had got an A in maths I just burst out crying (luckily I was in the car). I've spent the past 3 months hating myself for all of the mistakes I made and I thought I'd be getting a B.
Omg I can't. I. How?

I guess I am kind of worried about physics, I did worse than I expected but I'm going to work SO much harder for it next year. If you've read through my blog then you'll know that I didn't put much effort into physics. Not compared to maths and psychology anyway. I'm gonna have to practice my persuasion skills so that I can try and get my physics teachers to predict me at least a B. I know I can get an A next year if I try.

Okay now I'm actually feeling really bad about physics. Its not even like I can drop it though because I'm already only doing 3 A-levels. But If I'd have continued chemistry I'll have gotten a U and done much worse in everything else. Hopefully this time next year, I'll have got a much better grade in physics and will look back and laugh at how I'm feeling now. Comparing myself to everyone else isn't helping. Ugh. Lol I feel so stupid.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 149
Original post by jessyjellytot14
I HAVE MY RESULTS!!!

PSYCHOLOGY: A
MATHS: A OMFGFGHDJVHJVH
PHYSICS: D BUT IDC BECAUSE IT WON'T AFFECT MY OVERALL GRADE

Omfg but seriously, when I saw that I had got an A in maths I just burst out crying (luckily I was in the car). I've spent the past 3 months hating myself for all of the mistakes I made and I thought I'd be getting a B.
Omg I can't. I. How?

I guess I am kind of worried about physics, I did worse than I expected but I'm going to work SO much harder for it next year. If you've read through my blog then you'll know that I didn't put much effort into physics. Not compared to maths and psychology anyway. I'm gonna have to practice my persuasion skills so that I can try and get my physics teachers to predict me at least a B. I know I can get an A next year if I try.

Okay now I'm actually feeling really bad about physics. Its not even like I can drop it though because I'm already only doing 3 A-levels. But If I'd have continued chemistry I'll have gotten a U and done much worse in everything else. Hopefully this time next year, I'll have got a much better grade in physics and will look back and laugh at how I'm feeling now. Comparing myself to everyone else isn't helping. Ugh. Lol I feel so stupid.

What did you get for each maths module individually with ums points?
Original post by Rajive
What did you get for each maths module individually with ums points?

C1- 78 UMS - b
C2- 87 UMS - a
S1- 81 UMS - a

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending