The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Interview at Kent for Computing

Hi, I've been invited for an interview (hoping to study Computing - consultancy with a year in the industry) from Kent uni and wanted to know if I could get any advice from anyone who's had a computing interview there. how long is the interview roughly? what & how many questions do they ask? Is it a private or group interview? dress code etc. I've never had an interview before for any other uni so I'm pretty nervous lol

Thanks
Reply 1
Better to be over-dressed than under-dressed so wear formal. Be prepared to answer some computing questions. At times they like to test your knowledge and reasoning. Last time I interviewed somewhere I arrived to a surprise test, and if you failed that you wouldn't make it to the face to face interview. You'd better be prepared to back everything up on your CV and your personal statement.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey I was at an interview about a week ago. (got an offer :P)

So my interview also involved going on a campus tour, getting a Q&A session and a little lesson.... I applied for computer science but it's still part of the 'computing' department so I assume your day wont be much different....

The interview was about 20 minutes long. If you live far away from the uni, you'll be up first... if you live close by you'll be up last.... it was a 1 on 1 interview with one of the staff... Very relaxed conversation about my current subjects and we went slightly off topic about others stuff too hahha. It's really nothing to worry about. In the kent evision thing there's a FAQ link somewhere and that can give you more info...

as for dress code, no one turned up in trackies... but yeah, not everyone was in suits either. Wear smart casual and you'll be fine, a nice shirt, jumper and jeans or something :P... there was one guy in a suit but he had a jacket over it, it was cold :wink:

From what i've read the interviews for computing are mainly to get you to visit the uni and have a look. they'll try and sell you the uni so that you will firm it when it comes to making your final decisions.
Reply 3
Welldone @joxe on the offer Did you accept it, how long did they give you to respond to the offer? I maybe be seeing you come September. I really love their admin though, everything moves like clockwork.

I forgot to ask how hard it is finding accommodation there or getting a place in Res. Any thoughts?
Reply 4
Original post by Mr.Orion
Welldone @joxe on the offer Did you accept it, how long did they give you to respond to the offer? I maybe be seeing you come September. I really love their admin though, everything moves like clockwork.

I forgot to ask how hard it is finding accommodation there or getting a place in Res. Any thoughts?

I don't know when the deadline is to respond. I was very happy with my offer but i'm still not sure on which uni I want to firm. Kent is lovely and I'd enjoy studying there, but i'm also thinking about swansea university. So i'll give that a visit and then make a decision :tongue:

sorry i haven't really looked at finding accommodation yet but the accommodation that i saw on the applicant day was actually really nice :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for the response, also considering other options. I think I'd enjoy quieter surroundings as opposed to the middle of London.

All the best for Swansea... Cheers
Reply 6
Thanks for the response, also considering other options. I think I'd enjoy quieter surroundings as opposed to the middle of London.

All the best for Swansea... Cheers

I hope you don't think kent is in the middle of london... :tongue: haha

Yeah kent is a nice area. I actually liked the view down on canterbury town when i went to visit. Was a clear sunny day and looked peng... Strange for a teenager to admire a view but it was nice haha
Reply 7
That would be funny though. Roll up to Imperial College with your Kent acceptance letter... You just have to be sure in case you go to Medway or Brussels for orientation and you're supposed to be in Canterbury.

Site seeing in your teens, is this one of those cases where you have been 19 for the last 50 years?
Reply 8
That would be funny though. Roll up to Imperial College with your Kent acceptance letter... You just have to be sure in case you go to Medway or Brussels for orientation and you're supposed to be in Canterbury.

Site seeing in your teens, is this one of those cases where you have been 19 for the last 50 years?

Haha yeah i'm actually 73 next week :smile:
Reply 9
You are one of the smart geriatrics. Ever tried teaching an old person how to use a PC or a cellphone at that.
Reply 10
Hey thanks very much for your replies, I had the informative applicant day and interview yesterday and got an offer today

Good luck with your offers and studies, and thanks again
Mines on wednesday. Mildly bricking it, I don't know what the hell I'm gonna say. I got offers from my other universities so that's good, but Kent is the one who wants an interview.
Reply 12
Original post by Jamessuperfun
Mines on wednesday. Mildly bricking it, I don't know what the hell I'm gonna say. I got offers from my other universities so that's good, but Kent is the one who wants an interview.

Domt be nervous! I was a nervous wreck the whole applicant day for nothing! The interviewers are really nice people and the interview itself is really chilled and informal. They'll ask you why you chose the uni, amd the subject so just be honest and talk about why you picked them :smile:
Reply 13
Has anyone had an offer after their interview yet? How long did it take? Thanks.
Reply 14
Original post by Welchy
Has anyone had an offer after their interview yet? How long did it take? Thanks.

It can take up to two weeks but they can reply quicker - I got an offer a day after my interview.
Reply 15
Original post by Yabadabado
It can take up to two weeks but they can reply quicker - I got an offer a day after my interview.

thanks, fingers crossed!
Reply 16
No problem! Good luck! what are you predicted for ur subjects?
Original post by Welchy
thanks, fingers crossed!
Reply 17
Original post by Yabadabado
No problem! Good luck! what are you predicted for ur subjects?

I'm a bit older and doing an access course. On track to get distinctions in everything so is looking good so far.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending