The Student Room Group

Kent or Brunel Uni for Computer Science

I got offers from both Kent and Brunel for computer science and was wondering which one is better. I know Kent is kind of higher ranked however I live 20 mins away from Brunel so it would be easier compared to moving out and paying more money for accommodation etc. Thanks.
Original post by marcelamorosa
I got offers from both Kent and Brunel for computer science and was wondering which one is better. I know Kent is kind of higher ranked however I live 20 mins away from Brunel so it would be easier compared to moving out and paying more money for accommodation etc. Thanks.

Hi there

Congratulations on receiving your offers. Deciding which University to attend can be difficult, here are some factors that I found useful:

The location, it depends on what type of environment you are looking for. I found moving to Campus gave me a lot of independence and responsibility, I really enjoy it. Kent has a really nice campus and all the facilities are good. It is also a short while away from town, so you have a mix of urban and rural setting. If you get a chance to attend any open days, i would really recommend doing so. However, living at home can have its perks: it allows you to stay in contact with family and friends, and save money. So it really depends what you are looking to acheive when considering the location of Universities.

In terms of the ranking, perhaps employers would look at the rankings when choosing between applicants. (I am not sure if this is a major contributing factor for Computer Science, but I would suggest researching into this a little bit).

I think it would also be helpful to contrast the teaching styles, the different modules you will be doing to see what interests you a bit more. At Kent, students receive a lot of support (academically or otherwise) I have received a lot of help from lecturers and peers, I have never felt as if I could not answer a question.

Regarding social life, I find that most students at Kent have a really good work life balance. There are many events available throughout the year, and there are always opportunities to get involved with. The work load is quite manageable, although there are times that you will be more busy due to exam periods. :smile:

If you have any other questions about studying at Kent, I am happy to answer them.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
(Law Student)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending