The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

What's the city like?

Hey guys, I've got an offer from the University of Birmingham for law and I'm considering firming it. However, I've heard some really unpleasant stuff about the city (mainly concerning safety). I just need an honest opinion, because the info I have is from few years back. What do you think? Do you feel safe there? Is it a nice place to spend three years in? I'm asking not only about the campus, but the city center and the surrounding areas as well.
Main part of the city is quite modern and nice i.e. New Street station area/Bullring. However the student village atm of Selly Oak where most 2nd + years live is unsafe atm due to crime
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
I love the uni but there's been a number of muggings recently in Selly Oak (3 guys in ski masks who apparently have a knife and hammer) and doesn't seem like the police are doing much about it. I used to see police cars and officers walking around the other week and now I don't see anything. Streets are pretty dead at night now so like pretty much everyone else I just don't leave the house after it gets dark. There's a petition to get the police more involved atm.
Reply 3
Original post by BW123
I love the uni but there's been a number of muggings recently in Selly Oak (3 guys in ski masks who apparently have a knife and hammer) and doesn't seem like the police are doing much about it. I used to see police cars and officers walking around the other week and now I don't see anything. Streets are pretty dead at night now so like pretty much everyone else I just don't leave the house after it gets dark. There's a petition to get the police more involved atm.

That's not good... I hope the police will do sth about it and the situation will get better soon! B'ham seems so nice in terms of architecture and stuff (I love industrial cities, because I'm from Silesia in Poland), it's sad that people prefer violence to appreciating such great places :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by karothecat
That's not good... I hope the police will do sth about it and the situation will get better soon! B'ham seems so nice in terms of architecture and stuff (I love industrial cities, because I'm from Silesia in Poland), it's sad that people prefer violence to appreciating such great places :frown:

I know, I really like studying here. Hopefully it will be sorted really soon so it doesn't stay a factor in your decision :smile:
Hey guys, I've got an offer from the University of Birmingham for law and I'm considering firming it. However, I've heard some really unpleasant stuff about the city (mainly concerning safety). I just need an honest opinion, because the info I have is from few years back. What do you think? Do you feel safe there? Is it a nice place to spend three years in? I'm asking not only about the campus, but the city center and the surrounding areas as well.

I grew up in Brum , not far from Selly oak, and have never been the victim of crime bar one burglary back when I was very young.

It's just 3 blokes who are douchebags, not worth worrying about. It's a very big city so unlikely you'll end up being the target, plus they'll have probably been arrested by the time you'll be starting.
Reply 6
Original post by redferry
I grew up in Brum , not far from Selly oak, and have never been the victim of crime bar one burglary back when I was very young.

It's just 3 blokes who are douchebags, not worth worrying about. It's a very big city so unlikely you'll end up being the target, plus they'll have probably been arrested by the time you'll be starting.

True but it's pretty worrying for those of us who live here right now.
Original post by BW123
True but it's pretty worrying for those of us who live here right now.

I live in Lewisham now, if I worried every time some crime went on on my doorstep I'd have a heart attack. Worst that'll happen is they'll take your ****. Make sure its insured, back your work up on the uni network and don't do anything dumb if they approach you, hand it over.
I work in the centre of Birmingham and go out regularly there.

I have never been a victim of crime, only the perpetrator for littering.

It is pretty great city with plenty and really good bars and pubs.
It's far safer than other cities like Manchester, London and so on. That is a fact.
Original post by Wilfred Little
It's far safer than other cities like Manchester, London and so on. That is a fact.

And nothing even remotely bad has happened to me in London. It's irrational to put safety as a deciding factor in what uni you go to. It's not like it's a war zone, people live there atm and are generally fine. You get pricks everywhere!
Its full of Brummies!? :biggrin:
Original post by Everythingstupid
And nothing even remotely bad has happened to me in London. It's irrational to put safety as a deciding factor in what uni you go to. It's not like it's a war zone, people live there atm and are generally fine. You get pricks everywhere!

Other than nearly constantly getting run over you mean? What is with people's lack of understand of what a zebra crossing is here!?!

But I agree, I've not experienced much crime in London either and my boroughs meant to be one of the roughest

Birmingham is safer according to the stats though

I have been to Manchester only once and I got mugged at a cash point. Says a lot really.
Original post by Everythingstupid

Exactly. I live in Perry Barr which doesn't really have the best reputation for things like this. I am out at all hours and nobody ever does anything.
Original post by DiddyDec
I have been to Manchester only once and I got mugged at a cash point. Says a lot really.

I can't remember where I got the stats from but Manchester is far worse for things like thefts, robbery and violent crime. They reckon there's a serial killer on the loose now as well. 60+ bodies found in canals over just five years.

I went on a field trip to Birmingham a few weeks ago for Geography. We've learned about how it has been regenerated recently, and sure enough the centre of the city is modern, pretty, clean and actually very friendly considering city folk aren't usually the most sociable!!
That being said, I don't live there (Or in any city for that matter) so I can only add a couple of days' worth of experience to this thread. Hope it helped, though!
I can't remember where I got the stats from but Manchester is far worse for things like thefts, robbery and violent crime. They reckon there's a serial killer on the loose now as well. 60+ bodies found in canals over just five years.

I doubt the Birmingham canals would be much better if they bothered to check, but that would cost millions given their size.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending