The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anonymous_1995
im a second year student going to drop my course. If i want to start a new course from level 1 i don't think i will get the £9000 in tuition fees for the first year, but would i still be able to apply for maintenance loan?

Hi
Thanks for your question.

If you are going to withdraw from the second year of your current course and have had funding for those two years, this will be classed as two years of previous study.
If it is a new 3 year course that you want to study next, and you are starting in year one, you may only have two years left of funding , which will be for years 2 and 3 (unless you have any compelling personal reasons to leaving the course, which we may consider). I can confirm that you may only be eligible for the maintenance loan funding, not the tuition fee loan for the first year.

Thanks
Grace Cochrane
Original post by JesArm96
Hi

I am hoping to start at uni in September. According to the student finance calculator I am eligible for around £7,200.
My parents are divorced and my mum earns around £28,500 per year. However due to financial difficulties my parents still live together. Will this effect my application?

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

We would need evidence of your mother's marital status in order to only use her income to assess your application. The types of evidence she can send are:

Decree Absolute
Council Tax Bill showing Single Occupiers/Single person discount (you are not likely to have this if your parents are still living in the same house)
Letter from a solicitor

Once we receive this evidence our assessors will review your application to determine whether we can assess solely on your mum's income.

When it’s time to apply, visit www.gov.uk/studentfinance
If your application’s late your money might be too! Applyearly to make sure you have your money in time for starting your course.
Thanks

Sally Gallagher
Original post by boagle
Hi,

My partner and I are hoping to move in together in private accommodation for the commencement of our studies in 2016. I'll be studying LLB law and my partner will be studying straight to masters mechanical engineering. We are hoping to get a maintenance loan however we don't know how much we will get.

My parents are earning £36,000+ a year combined but they can't afford to help due to there being four other children to care for - one of which living with my mother in a different part of the UK. There are family circumstances where I no longer have contact with my mother and neither my mum of my father are willing to help with my accommodation because they simply can't afford it.

My other half's parents are earning £21,000+ a year combined however, there are similar circumstances there, too. My partner has three other siblings and his family also cannot afford to help him out much, if at all.

How will our loans cover this, will we be eligible to apply for more due to our circumstances with our family?

We can give proof for this, too.

Please help :smile:

Hello,

Thank you for your question today.

If you are both over 25 you are considered an independent student, we would assess you based on your financial situation.

If you are under 25 you are considered a dependent student , therefore both your parents (if they live together) or one of your parents (if separated) would need to provide their financial details to be able to means test your application.

if you are estranged from both parents then we would require evidence to support this before we could assess as a independent student.

Here is a link for the student calculator that will assist with an estimate of the amount of funding you may be entitled to:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Many Thanks

Mandy
Original post by megbooth.
Hello
I am applying for university starting September this year. I was a student at university in September 2014 and withdrew in January 2015 because of this I am now paying back part of my maintenance grant. Will this in anyway have a negative effect on me applying for a student loan again?

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

The fact that you are repaying overpaid grant will not impact your funding providing you continue to make the repayments on this.

In relation to how your previous study impacts your funding, our previous study calculation works like this (based on you starting a 3 year course in September):

3 (length of new course) + 1 (gift year) = 4 years standard entitlement

4 (standard entitlement) - 1 (number of years previous study) = 3 years full funding

Therefore, if you only have 1 year previous study you should receive full funding for the duration of your new course. If you have more previous study then I would recommend you speak to our customer services department on 0300 100 0607 to discuss this further.

Thanks

Sally Gallagher
Original post by billieg98
Hi there.My parents have recently stopped working and are currently living on their savings and investments with no other form of income. Do I still qualify for a student loan based on their wealth rather than income?

Hi Billie

Thanks for your question.

To have a means tested application, we would require your parents details if you are under 25. For 16/17 applications we will ask for your parents to declare their income from the tax year 14/15. If your parents are living on their saving and investments then we would ask them to declare any taxable interest earned from any savings or investments.

I would advise you to use the student finance calculator which will give you a better idea of the funding you may be entitled to. This can be found at the following link:

Hope this helps,
Grace Cochrane
Reply 25
I am a lone parent living in my own accommodation, i am currently working however when i start uni full time in Sept i won't be working. Will i be eligible for all finances.
Hi, I'd like some information please. I live with my boyfriend in a mortgaged house but I first started living independently July 14. Student finance implies that I should live independently for three years before they look at our joint salary (approx 35k probably less when I start studying) instead of my parents (in the region of 60-70k joint I believe) where do I go from there as my parents are not supporting me financially. Please could you help, many thanks.
Original post by Leonie88
I am a lone parent living in my own accommodation, i am currently working however when i start uni full time in Sept i won't be working. Will i be eligible for all finances.

Hi Leonie88,

Thank you for your question today.

I can confirm you would be eligible to apply for the full finance as an independent student.

As a lone parent you would also be eligible to apply for grants for dependents eg: the parent learning allowance and childcare grant.

Here are a couple of links that may be of help to you in determining the amount of funding available

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/extra-help

Many Thanks

Mandy
Original post by LittleJess1
Hi, I'd like some information please. I live with my boyfriend in a mortgaged house but I first started living independently July 14. Student finance implies that I should live independently for three years before they look at our joint salary (approx 35k probably less when I start studying) instead of my parents (in the region of 60-70k joint I believe) where do I go from there as my parents are not supporting me financially. Please could you help, many thanks.

Hi Jess

If you are over 25 then we would class you as an independent student.
However, if you are under 25 then we would ask for your parents details unless you are granted independent status. To be granted independent status for self-support, you would need to send in evidence of your earnings from the last three years, which will then be assessed to determine whether you are independent or not.
I can confirm that if you are not granted independent status and are under 25 then to have an income assessed application, you would need to provide your parents income details. If you would like to discuss this further then please call Student Finance England on 0300 100 0607.

Hope this helps,
Grace Cochrane
Thanks for all your questions!

If you missed this webchat, don't worry! There's another eligibility webchat on Thursday at 5.30pm so you can still get your questions in!

Also, check out our information on the student zone here on The Student Room!

Latest

Trending

Trending