The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ScottTheGreat
Hi there,

As it stands, "independent" status is automatically given to those who are 25 and over; I however am not so thus I do not automatically qualify.

As far as I am aware, to be awarded "independent" status from SFE, one must provide evidence of self-support for 3 years or over from FULL-TIME employment however does not mention anything about PART-TIME employment. So my understanding is that PART-TIME employment is NOT considered when applying for "independent" status regardless of the duration of employment. Is this correct?

I personally fulfil the "self-support for 3 years or over" criteria however I only work PART-TIME and have only ever worked PART-TIME.

My query is that does one HAVE TO declare to SFE when applying for finance of any employment history (either part-time OR full-time) or is the chance to prove "independent" status a CHOICE?

Personally, I would NOT like to be considered for "independent" status as assessing my application based on parental income would just make the whole process easier. I am unsure however as to whether declaring any employment history to SFE is mandatory during the application or not.

Thank you very much for any help.

Hi there

I can confirm that you would be required to provide 3 years of evidence of your income for any 3 years prior to the start of your course if you wish to be classed as an independent student. We would then address this on a case by case basis, dependent on your situation.

We do not take a Students Income Into account when working out your funding. when your parents will be supporting your application, we would work out all funding based on the household income for your parents. You will not need to provide your income at all.

Many Thanks
Margaret
Hi

We are planning to release our 2016/17 Applications 'Early March' If you keep checking our Gov.UK Website for further updates on the specific date of release.

Many Thanks
Margaret
Original post by Lisa Hughes
Hello,

Yes you would be able to apply as an independent student as the criteria is that you have self supported yourself for three years prior to the start of the course. Evidence that would need to be provided is of your earnings for the full 3 years, for example 3 P60s. This evidence would need to be posted in.

Thank you.

Great, thank you.
Hello,Tricky question - In 2016 August it will be 5 years I`v been living in UK. I was out of the country for 450 days - so I can`t qualify for the maintenance loan, because I`v been out of the country, but - I still qualify for citizenship. So, in August I can send an application for citizenship (which is processed usually in 6 weeks) and get it by the middle of September. That way I should qualify for loans same as any other UK citizen (tuition and maintenance), right?I know it sounds kinda tight (my Uni course starts September 26th), but I really wouldn`t like to wait another year to start my course. How do you think, is it possible to arrange the application for finance beforehand, now in March - April, prepare it for the course 2016/17 on a terms that I`m going to become a citizen right before the start of my course and as a final thing just to send a proof to you in September, when I get a new UK passport. Then you`ll start sending money to Uni, I start studying - happy days.Regards,Ash
Reply 24
This forum is now closed. A big thanks to Nicole, Margaret and Lisa for taking part and answering all the questions posted. And thanks to all those who got involved.

Hope to speak to you all again soon.R.

Latest

Trending

Trending