The Student Room Group

Options for Distance Learning Level 2 Maths & English?

Hello all,

I'm trying to help my mum out so I thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone can offer help/advice.

She needs to get a Level 2 qualification in Maths and English so that she can progress on to being a higher level teaching assistant, and from doing searches it seems funding available for this I think but I am struggling to find somewhere that will allow her to do it online and get funding? She doesn't mind sitting an exam somewhere at the end of it but wants to do the rest of it as distance learning.

She has said she wouldn't want to ask the school she works at to pay for it, so I was thinking she must surely be eligible for the 24+ loan.

Any suggestions and advice?
As far as I know the 24+ loan can't be used for online courses. Why doesn't your mum just do GCSEs in Maths and English? You can study these at home independently and then take the exam at a school/college. That's what I did, it's really very simple and much less difficult than one imagines. Almost all the resources you need are available free online.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
As far as I know the 24+ loan can't be used for online courses. Why doesn't your mum just do GCSEs in Maths and English? You can study these at home independently and then take the exam at a school/college. That's what I did, it's really very simple and much less difficult than one imagines. Almost all the resources you need are available free online.

Oh I didn't realise that she would be able to do that, Thankyou, did you have to pay to take the exams? How do you go about getting in to do the exams, would she need to visit/contact the school/college or there there somewhere you can book a time/day online?
Original post by BikerBex
Hello all,

I'm trying to help my mum out so I thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone can offer help/advice.

She needs to get a Level 2 qualification in Maths and English so that she can progress on to being a higher level teaching assistant, and from doing searches it seems funding available for this I think but I am struggling to find somewhere that will allow her to do it online and get funding? She doesn't mind sitting an exam somewhere at the end of it but wants to do the rest of it as distance learning.

She has said she wouldn't want to ask the school she works at to pay for it, so I was thinking she must surely be eligible for the 24+ loan.

Any suggestions and advice?

Level 2 English and maths courses are free to anyone who doesn't have gcse grade C in those subjects. She could attend part time traditional face to face courses offered by her local adult education service. LearnDirect offer self study programmes but you have to attend their centres. Free GCSE courses would also be available from adult learning providers to anyone who can show they are ready to do them
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
Level 2 English and maths courses are free to anyone who doesn't have gcse grade C in those subjects. She could attend part time traditional face to face courses offered by her local adult education service. LearnDirect offer self study programmes but you have to attend their centres. Free GCSE courses would also be available from adult learning providers to anyone who can show they are ready to do them

Hi, thanks for the advice - we are not really too sure where to look for these free courses though, everywhere we've searched has come up a £300-400.

She wouldn't be able to attend courses at a centre, but would like to study at home and then could take the tests somewhere.

I've just looked into the AQA website and found the private candidate section - perhaps that could work if she learns the maths and english herself at home from online sources and then goes in to a school for the tests as Snufkin suggested?
Original post by BikerBex
Oh I didn't realise that she would be able to do that, Thankyou, did you have to pay to take the exams? How do you go about getting in to do the exams, would she need to visit/contact the school/college or there there somewhere you can book a time/day online?

Yes you pay for the exam but that's it. You need to find a school which will let you sit the exams as an external candidate. There are lists on exam board websites but I found it easier to just phone local schools and ask directly, most said yes.
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
Yes you pay for the exam but that's it. You need to find a school which will let you sit the exams as an external candidate. There are lists on exam board websites but I found it easier to just phone local schools and ask directly, most said yes.

Brilliant thankyou, I'll let her know, that might be the best route for her :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending