The Student Room Group

URGENT: Online Alevels/Homeschooling !!

Hi everyone, this is a rewrite of a previous post I made because I feel like I didn't give enough detail so....
In September 2022 I started year 12, for the first 2 months everything was alright, but a years worth of personal/family issues began to weigh down on me, and by December I couldn't get out of bed let alone go to schooI (they knew of theses issues as services were involved and I missed the end three months of year 11), I was approved for distance learning in late January/Early February on the condition I tried to come in, I went in twice a week and emailed my work to teachers, none of them were messaging me back as my school was and still is severely understaffed, (half the staff left in late November) my heads of year decided to kick me out because they felt I was too far behind although they hadn't tried to access any of my work and the teacher that was responsive said I was doing perfectly fine. Anyway fastforward to the beginning of summer holidays, I applied to sixthform at three schools and was accepted into two (one being my old school) but my parents rejected my place at a one of the schools because they thought it was too far. I don't want to go back to my old school because the support was horrible and I know that I wouldn't work effectively there as it's not the biggest school and everyone knows I was kicked out.
So.... Does anyone have any advice on how to do online Alevels or homeschooling Alevels, I'm not the most financially well off but I am applying to jobs at the moment in the hopes I can fund either of these options!

Extra info:
I live in the south of England
There are two sixthform in my area and a college, one of the sixthforms is a selective school the other is my old school and the college doesn't offer courses I want to do.
THE COURSES I WANT TO DO ARE: English literature, history, and English language or film studies.

Questions:
- what are the differences between online Alevels and homeschooling Alevels?
- which one is more cost effective?
- where would I apply to in order to do either of these options?
- what do exams look like for either of these options?

ANY OTHER INFORMATION YOU HAVE TO OFFER WOULD BE EXTREMELY HELPFUL AS SCHOOL STARTS REALLY SOON AND I'M STILL TRYING TO CONVINCE MY PARENTS THIS IS EVEN AN OPTION! Thank you<3
Reply 1
Sorry for any grammatical errors, i didnt proof read!
Reply 2
hi, im in a similar spot.
there are online tutors available, or online 'schools' like interhigh or Oxford Learning where you have a timetable and a tutor to do your lessons. this comes up to around 5k a year which isn't something everyone can commit to of course.

the main difference is that you're learning from home, and gaining an 'international' level qualification most of the time (same thing as a normal level.)

if you were struggling in school, homeschooling is probably a better option. it leaves a lot more flexibility and space for you to study what you want.

if you want to self-study, there's that option too as there's tons of resources online
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending