The Student Room Group

Help! Exam Centre for Private Candidate

Hello everyone,
I am currently in Year 11 and have to decide what A-Levels I want to do. I have already selected Maths, Further Maths and Physics and I am looking forward to study Computer Science at uni. I want to do CompSci for A-Level but my school does not offer it. I know it is not required for any uni Comp Sci course but it is useful and would be good for me to see if I would really like to spend three/four years studying that subject at uni.
Long story short, I want to study CompSci A-Level myself and be entered as a private candidate. But I have problems finding an examination centre here, in London that accepts private candidates for Computer Science/Computing.
So does anyone know any sixth forms/A-Level colleges that would accept me?
Thanks a lot.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by Darshan98
I am currently in Year 11 and have to decide what A-Levels I want to do. I have already selected Maths, Further Maths and Physics and I am looking forward to study Computer Science at uni. I want to do CompSci for A-Level but my school does not offer it. I know it is not required for any uni Comp Sci course but it is useful and would be good for me to see if I would really like to spend three/four years studying that subject at uni.
Long story short, I want to study CompSci A-Level myself and be entered as a private candidate. But I have problems finding an examination centre here, in London that accepts private candidates for Computer Science/Computing.

You could learn to code without bothering with the A level. The outgoing A level specifications were not open to private candidates owing to the nature of the coursework but I don't know what it says for the new specifications.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
You could learn to code without bothering with the A level. The outgoing A level specifications were not open to private candidates owing to the nature of the coursework but I don't know what it says for the new specifications.

Yes the new OCR specification allows you to take CompSci A-Level as a private candidate. I know I can learn coding without bothering about an A-Level in the subject, CompSci isnt just about coding, is it? There are other aspects of computer science which imo I wouldnt be able to learn very efficiently without an A-Level and moreover unis would look at your grades and subject choices prior to your extra-curricular activities.
Please corret me if I am wrong. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest