The Student Room Group

My parents make a fuss everytime I ask to borrow money

I am a student in my first year. I do live on £400 a month which is £100 a week but I use alot of this money for travelling home and back.

Anyway, I have a surplus of money left over this month which I am going to use for shopping so I don't have to pay for it when I am paid this month. However, that means then that i'm going to have £0 in my bank account.

I'm travelling back to England late next week, technically I don't need money for anything as i've booked it all. However, I don't want to go back there and have no money in my bank account incase something happens e.g. cancelled train (this has happened before).

I do get paid a few days after I arrive so i'm not worried about having no money for a few days. The problem is the possibility of being left stranded at a train station with nobody to go to - literally.

My parents will not give me £30 to put in my bank just to cover that. I wasn't intending to spend it, just keep it there and then give it back to them as soon as I get back to my appartment. I don't see why my parents make a fuss everytime I barrow money as I ALWAYS give it back immediately when I get paid? My father always makes me feel extremely guilty, like i'm asking him to give his life for me. I don't understand it personally, it's not like £30 is going to have a massive dent in their bank account.

Anyway, I made it quite clear to them that I was not going to use this money but they still insisted that I didn't get it. I don't know what to do, i'm probably going to have to cancel my shopping.

I'm very worried about going back to England with no money.
(edited 8 years ago)
The very obvious answer is don't go shopping until you get paid, or at least don't spend all of your money.

They're probably making a fuss because having to borrow money all the time off your parents shows you're not very good at budgeting properly which is a concern.
Original post by Frostyjoe
I don't see why my parents make a fuss everytime I barrow money as I ALWAYS give it back immediately when I get paid?

Because, in my opinion, at your age you should be starting to be a bit more independent - standing on your own two feet. Really, each month you should save a small amount, even if it's just 5 or 10%. After a few months of doing this, you'll never have to borrow from your parents.
Original post by ImNotSuperman
Because, in my opinion, at your age you should be starting to be a bit more independent - standing on your own two feet. Really, each month you should save a small amount, even if it's just 5 or 10%. After a few months of doing this, you'll never have to borrow from your parents.

Op is probably only like 18, it's not unfair to ask for a small amount of money to tie you over, if heir parents genuinely can't help them then fair enough and it is important to budget but most people certainly aren't independent from their parents at that age anyway
Reply 4
I'm 20. I do budget my money well, I suppose I don't have to do the shopping until I get paid. I just wanted to get it out of the road.
I'm 20. I do budget my money well, I suppose I don't have to do the shopping until I get paid. I just wanted to get it out of the road.

With all due respect if you budgeted well you wouldn't be in this position.
I see their point. I live on less than £100 a week (I get more than that; but have more than enough left at the end of the month) and because I'm not a student, I've got bills to pay, including a credit card.

With £100 a week, you should be able to save a fair amount so that you're not asking for money all the time. I could see your point if you were only asking for a bit of money to tide you over for when your loan comes through.
Reply 7

Do your shopping at Aldi or Lidl which is cheaper.
What do you spend your money on?
Also do you have to keep going home regularly? Just go home for Christmas, Easter and summer. You will have more money saved.
Original post by chikane
Do your shopping at Aldi or Lidl which is cheaper.

And avoid the Sainsburys Local and Tesco Express. These are more expensive than the main Tesco and Sainsburys.
Original post by SophieSmall
With all due respect if you budgeted well you wouldn't be in this position.

Your such a savage!
I like you
+1
If that is £100 after rent you have a luxury amount of money to live on. Your parents shouldn't have to give you money at your age so I assume they resent you expecting them to do so. This said, if you want anything to happen then you need to communicate with them as best you can. While it can help to vent, you are not really achieving anything by telling the internet that you are angry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending