The Student Room Group

Getting the grades for Oxford

Scroll to see replies

I'll admit after all the frantic EPQ finishing I had a bit of a day off yesterday... but now into full-on Easter revision. I started today by making English Lit cue cards. It's a closed book exam so I have to memorise quotes for 4 texts, remember which ones fit which theme etc... I'm firstly sorting them into books, and then themes/gothic elements and finally into acts which helps split them down a bit. Hopefully by the end I'll have a few for each act/theme for every text which are really useful and easy to talk about. I have a mock to do over the holiday so I'll spend this week learning some quotes and then do the paper next week.

63 days
Original post by tryingandfailing
I used books, journals and the internet, there was a really good TED talk on it and a few tv documentaries as well. It was a pain to do and pretty stressful but then again if you keep up with the work over the time you do it it should be fine! Good prep for uni style work as well.

That sounds like fun! Although it also sounds like a lot of work... I'll remember to keep up with it. Uni seems like a way off for me but I guess it's just over two years away! :smile: Thanks for answering my questions. I'm pretty sure I want to do it but I'm gradually learning how important it is to know what I'm signing up for before I do. :colondollar: I hope you get the mark you wanted for it!!!!
Apologies once again for no updates.. I have been revising, honest! Making the English cue cards has taken FOREVER, and I have way more quotes than I need but I'd rather be over prepared. I've got them all done for the 3 books we've finished and started them for the White Devil which we still just need to finish the final act for. I'm going to be away a lot next week travelling the country for competitions, and long journeys are perfect for answering questions so I'm planning on taking some maths and biology past papers with me for that.

60 days!
The last two days I've been working on my biology notes. There's such a huge amount of content in unit 5 it's taking a while but hopefully I'll have finished it soon. It's been useful to go back through all the DNA stuff because we seemed to cover it very quickly in lessons, and I missed a couple of lessons before Christmas which didn't help. Re-writing them out means I can go back over the different elements and understand it better, as well as having some clear, organised notes to refer to later if necessary.
58 days..
I've been pretty productive today, covering two chapters in the biology textbook and getting some good notes on it. I just have the last big chapter to do on DNA technology now and then I'm done! I'm going away from tomorrow lunchtime so I'm going to finish that on my 4 1/2 hour journey! I'm also going to take a couple of core 3 past papers to do. I'll try and get internet to do updates but if I go quiet that's why!

Forgot to post yesterday but I was actually pretty productive!
- Finished all the notes for biology so I can now start on past papers in the spare time I had at the weekend.
- Completed June 2014 core 3 paper in exam conditions and answered everything without too much trouble! Definite improvement!
- Did my first core 4 paper, jan 2010, with notes and some worked answers where I got completely stuck. I managed most of it without too much trouble so now its just a case of practicing until everything is easier.

Today's tasks:
- English mock, full paper.
- Plan answers for the questions I didn't answer
- English section A essay (why oh why don't teachers coordinate on what is being set?!)
- If I have time I'm going to start making cue cards for PSYA4.
54 days..
Your productivity is inspiring!!! How do you motivate yourself to do so much? I've done so little so far in the holidays! :smile:
Having been away I haven't done as much revision in the last few days of Easter as I hoped but I did manage to do a bit of psya3 essay learning.
Completed today:
- June 2013 mechanics paper (scored 68/72)
- English section A essay on Faustus (June 2013) - from doing the mock I need to practice timing and coming up with points quickly

48 days!
Today I've done some biology unit 5 past exam questions from the textbook - our teacher sent us the mark schemes so I can check my answers after I've done them. I've also completed an Edexcel maths core 3/4 paper we were given in the lesson, I'm starting to get much more consistent in my core 3 work especially now which is good!

47 days..
Completed today: we have a biology unit 5 mock on Monday so I've today I have completed exam questions from the text book for the DNA sections. This is the topic I've found more difficult to understand so I want to make sure I have a complete understanding before the test!

46 days now
Original post by tryingandfailing
Completed today: we have a biology unit 5 mock on Monday so I've today I have completed exam questions from the text book for the DNA sections. This is the topic I've found more difficult to understand so I want to make sure I have a complete understanding before the test!

46 days now

46 days? Please just stop. :smile: Good luck with the mock!
Original post by Ara8311a
46 days? Please just stop. :smile: Good luck with the mock!

Haha, it feels pretty close now! Thank you, hopefully it won't be a complete disaster...
Completed today:
- Biology past exam questions from the textbook on nervous control and all of that stuff (apparently this is what our EMPA is on but we haven't been officially told this yet, worth going over anyway!)
- Core 4 questions on differential equations - I found a really good resource on the Solomon papers site with worksheets for each topic. Some good tricky questions to work through which also incorporated other topics as well, so that really helped - I'm going to try and find some for each topic to work through if I can.

45 days to go
Completed today:
- we got our EMPA dates and topic, so I've focused my revision on that today (task 1 is next week!). I've gone back over and practiced the stats tests and writing about my data. I've also practiced the application and data interpretation questions we get for task 3. I only scraped a C in the AS empa so I want to be more prepared this year, for both the A2 exam and the AS resit.

Also, somewhere I've gotten my dates muddled and its not the right way either.. turns out I only have 40 days left, whoops!
Best of luck from someone also frantically revising in order to achieve their dream :tongue: you can do it!
Original post by such_a_lady
Best of luck from someone also frantically revising in order to achieve their dream :tongue: you can do it!

Thank you, good luck!
Completed yesterday:
- more biology past questions to test my knowledge and understanding. This flagged up that I've got a weak area in the control of glucose, so I spent some time re-reading this section and then using my notes to answer the questions.
Today's work:
- I did my first biology unit 5 past paper, June 2010. The way I worked through it was answering the questions as I would in the exam, then using the mark scheme to mark the questions. If I dropped any marks I would rub out my answer, then at the end of the paper I went back through and reanswered the ones where I dropped marks. I found this really effective in seeing why I was dropping marks and which areas need more work. On the bright side most of the paper went well and with my original answers I would have gotten an A which is what I'm hoping for! Made me consider if I could even stretch for an A*...
All in all this took me about 5 hours, including marking, doing both the essays at the end and then going back through after re-revising topics where I lost marks. Hopefully it'll pay off in my mock tomorrow..

38 days to go!
Mixed feelings about today's biology mock - I thought some questions well and I liked the essay so that's a bonus, but a few questions caught me out. Shows I need to know some things in more depth before the real thing, I know muscle contraction, synapses and that stuff in a lot of detail but I need to know everything as well now!

Today I also did a core 2 paper, and got a score of 86 UMS with some stupid mistakes, but it's still a big improvement on my score from last summer so that's promising for my resit.

37 days..
Completed today:
- Redid a few bits on my English Lit coursework acting on advice I was given to make sure I'm going in to the exam with a strong grade
- Core 2 Jan 2008 in prep for my mock tomorrow
- Revising core 4 vectors questions
- spent 20 minutes or so revising nervous control and synapses as EMPA prep for biology

36 days!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending