The Student Room Group

The Road to Success (hopefully!)

Scroll to see replies

UPDATE - Monday 18th April

I got sooooo much done today and I'm really happy!

1) I wrote up a nice A4 sheet of the Medicine Through Time exam skills, with the marks, the time I should spend on it, the layout and what I need to get to get the top marks! I didn't get to read over my flashcards but I'm hoping to do that at break time tomorrow or before school to refresh my mind.
2) I did my maths homework which took me about half an hour because I got stuck on a bounds question and had to do a lot of research on how to work it out. I'm still not sure if I did it correctly but I understand the method which is great!
3) I managed to do a Business Unit 1 past paper and mark it which went well! I got 38/40 which is an A*. Obviously there's still work to do, I've never managed to get full marks on that paper but I'm hoping to do all of the past papers before the exam comes around.
4) I printed out my revision record so I can keep track of how much I'm revising and what I'm revising. It means I can make sure I'm revising everything and not putting certain subjects off (cough cough English).

Considering I didn't get home until 5pm because I had ICT, and obviously I ate my dinner, I've gotten a hell of a lot done! (For me, anyway.)

I'm off to bed now, because I have lots and lots of mock exams to do tomorrow.

Goodnight!
UPDATE - Tuesday 26th April

So, I vanished for a while due to going on holiday this weekend and just, in general, not keeping up to date with my revision for the past few days. But I'm not going to let that hinder my progress in revision so I'm putting that behind me and slowly getting back on track:smile:.

Today, I finished paper 2 of a set of Maths papers I was doing and I marked them. I got 79/100 on paper 1, and 84/100 on paper 2. All together I got 163/200 which was only 6 marks off of an A*. I made some really stupid errors that made me facepalm as I was looking through afterwards (and probably made me lose at least 8 marks) but there are also some questions that I just genuinely don't know how to answer (e.g vectors and circle theorems, which have been a repeated issue on every exam I've done)

Tomorrow I'm going to go through the questions I got wrong and depending on how long that takes, I also really need to get some Science revision done. That used to be my priority but I let it slip because of maths and history so now I need to get back on track with that.

Today I finished my Medicine Through Time mock exam. It seemed to get increasingly easier throughout the paper which is a slight worry, but overall it went okay. I also did a German Listening and Reading paper. I GOT A B ON THE LISTENING!!! 28/40. I really am improving and I feel like an A would be realistic now if I really put in the effort:smile:. The listening paper I only finished at lunch so I'm awaiting my results, but hopefully I'll get them tomorrow.

No, I didn't get a lot done, but I wasn't really in the right frame of mind for revision. Tomorrow is a new day though:h:
Original post by graciousgannon
UPDATE - Tuesday 26th April

So, I vanished for a while due to going on holiday this weekend and just, in general, not keeping up to date with my revision for the past few days. But I'm not going to let that hinder my progress in revision so I'm putting that behind me and slowly getting back on track:smile:.

Today, I finished paper 2 of a set of Maths papers I was doing and I marked them. I got 79/100 on paper 1, and 84/100 on paper 2. All together I got 163/200 which was only 6 marks off of an A*. I made some really stupid errors that made me facepalm as I was looking through afterwards (and probably made me lose at least 8 marks) but there are also some questions that I just genuinely don't know how to answer (e.g vectors and circle theorems, which have been a repeated issue on every exam I've done)

Tomorrow I'm going to go through the questions I got wrong and depending on how long that takes, I also really need to get some Science revision done. That used to be my priority but I let it slip because of maths and history so now I need to get back on track with that.

Today I finished my Medicine Through Time mock exam. It seemed to get increasingly easier throughout the paper which is a slight worry, but overall it went okay. I also did a German Listening and Reading paper. I GOT A B ON THE LISTENING!!! 28/40. I really am improving and I feel like an A would be realistic now if I really put in the effort:smile:. The listening paper I only finished at lunch so I'm awaiting my results, but hopefully I'll get them tomorrow.

No, I didn't get a lot done, but I wasn't really in the right frame of mind for revision. Tomorrow is a new day though:h:

Well done :smile: Love the way that your always positive :biggrin:
Original post by nisha.sri
Well done :smile: Love the way that your always positive :biggrin:

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it :smile: I think if I'm not positive I'd probably just give up haha
UPDATE - Wednesday 27th April

Today has been a bit of a mixed bag. I did 3 Business Unit 1 past papers at school. On the first two I got 35/40 which was a B, and on the last one I got 36/40 which was an A. I'm actually really disappointed...I know I can do better but I don't really know what went wrong? It may be that I was doing it in a room full of loud people and maybe I just don't work well in noisy conditions. Who knows. But it is also because I need to revise, clearly.

I got my German reading paper back today and I got 30/40 which was an A! I'm finally moving up. I think I can put that U behind me now and start focusing on getting those A's :smile:

I also just did a Biology Unit 1 past paper since that's my first exam and I haven't even thought about revising yet. I haven't revised this since Christmas and for some reason I thought doing a past paper with no revision would be the best way forward(?). Well, I did it and it didn't feel like it went so great. When I marked it I was determined not to be generous with my marks and when I found I got 39/60 I was disappointed but obviously I haven't revised yet. Then, I checked the grade boundaries and...oh my goodness...it was an A*??? Now, either the grade boundaries in 2012 were really low, or I marked my paper wrong, or I was looking at the wrong boundaries. But still, an A*? I'm shocked that I could do that without revision. It just motivates me to revise much more!

That's all for today. Tomorrow, before Taekwondo, I want to revise some P1 because I've literally forgotten all of it. Great...
UPDATE - Wednesday 27th April

Today has been a bit of a mixed bag. I did 3 Business Unit 1 past papers at school. On the first two I got 35/40 which was a B, and on the last one I got 36/40 which was an A. I'm actually really disappointed...I know I can do better but I don't really know what went wrong? It may be that I was doing it in a room full of loud people and maybe I just don't work well in noisy conditions. Who knows. But it is also because I need to revise, clearly.

I got my German reading paper back today and I got 30/40 which was an A! I'm finally moving up. I think I can put that U behind me now and start focusing on getting those A's :smile:

I also just did a Biology Unit 1 past paper since that's my first exam and I haven't even thought about revising yet. I haven't revised this since Christmas and for some reason I thought doing a past paper with no revision would be the best way forward(?). Well, I did it and it didn't feel like it went so great. When I marked it I was determined not to be generous with my marks and when I found I got 39/60 I was disappointed but obviously I haven't revised yet. Then, I checked the grade boundaries and...oh my goodness...it was an A*??? Now, either the grade boundaries in 2012 were really low, or I marked my paper wrong, or I was looking at the wrong boundaries. But still, an A*? I'm shocked that I could do that without revision. It just motivates me to revise much more!

That's all for today. Tomorrow, before Taekwondo, I want to revise some P1 because I've literally forgotten all of it. Great...

Well done on the A in German - languages can be tricky so that's not easy :smile:

I often find that with some papers, I think one time the A* for Physics was 36/37!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilacpotato
Well done on the A in German - languages can be tricky so that's not easy :smile:

I often find that with some papers, I think one time the A* for Physics was 36/37!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I really struggle with German so it was so satisfying to finally get the grade :smile: Yeah I agree, I can honestly never predict grade boundaries because they can all be so different!
UPDATE - Friday 29th April

Today has been a weird day. I'm extremely frustrated. We got our grade cards today, which show us our grade to date and our projected grade. I thought I'd share them with you now.

(BOLD is grade to date, Italics is projected grade)

Business Studies - CC
English Language - AA
English Literature - BB
German - AA
History - AA
ICT - CC
Maths - AA
Photography - BB+
Science Core - BA-
Science Additional - BB+

So, whilst these seem like okay and understandable grades (which most of them are) some of them make no sense to me. On my last grade card from about 4 weeks ago, I was getting an A in Business and I was projected an A*. I have done no other mock exams since then, and the few past papers we have done I have gotten at least a B, mostly an A on. Yet for some reason, my new grade is a C and I am projected a C. I spoke to my teacher about it and she said that the head of business went through changing everybody's grades. I'm not too sure what evidence he used to give me a C, but there you go.

As for ICT, my coursework is actually a solid B now so that grade is pretty invalid. My entire ICT course has been an absolute disaster, and trust me, it is impossible to complete a full GCSE course with only an hour a week. It makes me so angry to know that, with all the extra time and effort I put in, I'm still only just achieving a B, but there you go - that's the flawed school system for you.

It was very disheartening to be sitting around people who opened their grade cards and had nothing lower than a B, or had 4 or 5 projected A*s on their card. It's frustrating to put in so much effort and see no, maybe even negative, results. It's like the more work I put in, the worse my grades get.

Anyway, I've decided that these grade cards are stupid anyway and don't represent me. What represents my GCSE's is the grades I open on results day, and to get what I want and prove my teachers (and myself, in a way) wrong, I need to put in as much effort as I can.

Today, I did my maths homework and a Physics Unit 1 past paper, which I got 36/60 on (an A). I was happy with that but there is still a long way to go and things to work on.

I'm really sorry for the whiny rant, and I know my grades are good, it's just about my personal targets and things. I needed somewhere to get it off of my chest and I felt like this was the best place.

I will be happy on results day and I will prove my teachers wrong. I also need to stop comparing myself to others...
UPDATE - Sunday 1st May

17 days until my first exam...eek! It's all becoming so real and so scary, but I need to keep my cool otherwise revision will just be a waste of time. I didn't revise yesterday because I was at a party, but luckily it is bank holiday so I'm not in school on Monday and I can make up for lost time:^_^:.

Yesterday, I printed out a Chemistry U1 past paper to do and today I printed out some maths papers. By the time I get home it will be around 1:30-ish, so I want to complete the Chemistry paper and then spend the rest of the day revising my biggest weaknesses from Unit 1. Tomorrow I want to do the Maths past papers that I printed out and also revise my weaknesses from those:smile:.

I'm over the grade card now, and I'm back to being motivated. I hope everybody is having a productive Sunday and I'll update you later!
UPDATE - Monday 2nd May

Hello! I hope everybody spent their bank holiday Monday being productive! Today I didn't get as much done as I wanted to. I did 30 mins of Chemistry revision on Earth and Tectonic Plates, and I did a Maths non calculator past paper which I got 80/100 on. That's not bad, and I'm slowly progressing, but I just need to push my knowledge a little bit further to hopefully get my marks into the high 80's/low 90's.

Short update because I'm about to start winding down and getting ready for bed. Not long until my first exam (Biology) and I'm really feeling the pressure, so I'm giving myself this evening to have some free time and an early night.

Goodnight!
UPDATE - Monday 2nd May

Hello! I hope everybody spent their bank holiday Monday being productive! Today I didn't get as much done as I wanted to. I did 30 mins of Chemistry revision on Earth and Tectonic Plates, and I did a Maths non calculator past paper which I got 80/100 on. That's not bad, and I'm slowly progressing, but I just need to push my knowledge a little bit further to hopefully get my marks into the high 80's/low 90's.

Short update because I'm about to start winding down and getting ready for bed. Not long until my first exam (Biology) and I'm really feeling the pressure, so I'm giving myself this evening to have some free time and an early night.

Goodnight!

Well done :smile: :biggrin: Very well done on the maths :smile: Are you ready for the Biology exam it's also my first exam :smile:
Original post by nisha.sri
Well done :smile: :biggrin: Very well done on the maths :smile: Are you ready for the Biology exam it's also my first exam :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile: I think Biology U1 is the science exam I'm the most confident on but I'm still not ready and don't think I ever will be :s-smilie: what about you?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much! :smile: I think Biology U1 is the science exam I'm the most confident on but I'm still not ready and don't think I ever will be :s-smilie: what about you?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries :smile: Same here i don' ever think i would say ' i'm ready ' i don't even know why ?
UPDATE - Wednesday 11th May

So, as you can probably see I've been pretty absent from here. I just haven't had any time to write an update, and also I let my revision slip quite a bit recently. I've gotten back on track now, maybe a little too late because my first exam is in 6 days.

Today I did a past paper in maths and took it home (although I wasn't supposed to, oops...) and got what I think was 86/100, so that's an improvement. We're going to do paper two next week sometime. I also went over vectors by myself tonight and I think I finally understand them (except for proving straight lines but I am working on that).

Tonight I did around an hour and a half of B1 revision and all in all it went pretty well. I'm hoping to do one last past paper at the weekend to secure everything for the exam on Tuesday :s-smilie:

I also got my ICT coursework remarked and it's finally an A! I'm so happy, considering we only had one hour a week to work on it and we did a hell of a lot of it wrong. However, the exam is extremely difficult and I've done no revision since Christmas. I got a B on the mock exam, and I'm hoping for a B on the real exam but praying for an A if I put enough time into revision. I'm not going to prioritise it over my other, more important subjects though.

I think the subject I have revised the most has been Maths, but mostly because I enjoy it so it doesn't really feel like work.

I'm so worried for exams but I have done much more work than I am giving myself credit for and hopefully I'll be okay.

:smile:
UPDATE - Monday 16th May

Well, this is it. Tomorrow is the official start of exam season for me, first up: Biology Unit 1.

I did my last ever past paper for this subject this afternoon, and I got 46/60 which was just an A*. It's strange - I feel like I have months to improve on this grade when in reality tomorrow is my one and only shot to do my best.

The final topics that I am about to go over are Decay and Tropisms/Plant Hormones, the two I'd say I am the least confident on.

I must admit I am extremely nervous for tomorrow but I know I'm prepared and all I can do is give it my best shot :smile:

Besides revision, I did actually have a good day today. I received my final year 11 class/year photos, which was both a happy and sad moment, and also took what may be the last photo with my photography class. I finish school on Friday, which is going to be a crazy and emotional day.

Good luck to anybody sitting the Biology exam tomorrow, remember to give it your all and don't give up! If it doesn't go your way it won't be the end of the world, trust me. But you've got this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
UPDATE - Monday 16th May

Well, this is it. Tomorrow is the official start of exam season for me, first up: Biology Unit 1.

I did my last ever past paper for this subject this afternoon, and I got 46/60 which was just an A*. It's strange - I feel like I have months to improve on this grade when in reality tomorrow is my one and only shot to do my best.

The final topics that I am about to go over are Decay and Tropisms/Plant Hormones, the two I'd say I am the least confident on.

I must admit I am extremely nervous for tomorrow but I know I'm prepared and all I can do is give it my best shot :smile:

Besides revision, I did actually have a good day today. I received my final year 11 class/year photos, which was both a happy and sad moment, and also took what may be the last photo with my photography class. I finish school on Friday, which is going to be a crazy and emotional day.

Good luck to anybody sitting the Biology exam tomorrow, remember to give it your all and don't give up! If it doesn't go your way it won't be the end of the world, trust me. But you've got this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck, you'll do great! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilacpotato
Good luck, you'll do great! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! You too :biggrin:
UPDATE - Tuesday 17th May

Well, I don't know what to say. That Biology exam was definitely not what I expected. It's really thrown me off and honestly knocked my confidence a little bit - I found the 6 mark questions horrible and as for the other questions, they were very vaguely related to biology in my opinion.

But, it's done now and there's nothing I can do so it's time to move on and focus on what's ahead of me. I'm trying not to dwell on anything too much!

Tomorrow is my ICT exam which I'm a bit more relaxed for because I already have 60% done and honestly, I don't mind ICT. My only fear is that we were never taught the theory so I only know a small amount and I have to hope that the questions are in my favour. If I come out with a B I'll be happy, but if I come out with an A I'll be ecstatic.

I hope everybody who sat the Biology exam found it okay! Exam season has officially started and it will be over before we know it so study hard and don't burn yourself out:smile:
UPDATE - Sunday 22nd May

So, the rest of the exam week went okay. ICT was such a nice exam paper in my opinion, and one of the 6 mark questions was about environmental impacts which was great. Chemistry was challenging but was actually a relevant paper, and although it didn't go amazingly I felt that it went okay.

This week, I have English Literature Unit 1, Business Unit 1, Physics Unit 1, Maths Paper 1 and English Literature Unit 2. I'm really nervous for English, mainly because in all honesty I didn't put in as much work as I should have and now I'm really struggling with the novels and plays. But I am the most nervous for Maths, just because it's my favourite subject and I really want to do well. In all of my past papers I made silly mistakes which I hope won't happen in the real exam, but I'm also a bit worried that I might run out of time...

Anyway, today is dedicated to Of Mice And Men because if I don't revise as much as I can I won't come out with a good pass. I made chapter summaries yesterday, and today I'm making notes on the context and history and on the themes.

I hope everybody's revision is going well and that their exams have been okay. All of the work will be worth it in the end:smile:
So I'm super new to this - I've literally been here for about 7 minutes. But doing this seemed like an awesome idea to record my progress and to keep on track of things! I don't actually know if I'm doing this right so apologies if I'm not.

I thought I'd start by putting in my mock exam results from December, for both personal use and for anybody who is curious! I'm in year 11 and my first real exam is in around 56 days. Eek!

English Language - A
English Literature - A
Maths - B+
Biology - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
Business - A
History - A
Photography - B+
German Listening - U
German Reading - B
ICT - B

Overall I was pretty happy with those results(except for the U in German, obviously, but I'm working on that. I'm doing listening papers as often as I can which will hopefully help me to improve). I'll be honest in saying that I could have put a bit more effort in on the revision side - I just find it very difficult to motivate myself and prioritise.

I really want to improve my sciences and my maths, to hopefully secure the A. I don't actually do triple science due to 13 year old me absolutely despising it at the time, but that's one of my regrets I suppose.

I hope you guys are all well and motivated to do well in your exams. I'd really appreciate any revision tips, or ways in which you motivate yourself.

Until next time!

-Grace x

Clealy you have very good writing techniques as you got such good grades in both your english's and history! Do you have any tips for getting such high grades in those two subjects?x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending