The Student Room Group

Information regarding access to higher education

Hi guys,Due to a number of personal/financial reasons I dropped out of 6th form to pursue an apprenticeship to help support my family. However I am currently a few months in and realising that I wish that I stuck with 6th form and completed my A levels, for a while I thought all hope was lost regarding my LSE dream until I stumbled across the access to higher education course so I really need some information regarding the course and anyone who is currently at LSE after completing the course,Firstly is there a minimum age limit? As I am currently only 17 and will be looking to start the course when I am 18/19.I am interested in taking economics, what course would I have to complete? And also any other information regarding the course will be more then helpfulThanks
Reply 1
Most universities require that you have completed a minimum of 2 years employment post-leaving school before undertaking an Access course.

In terms of what Access course you should do - find which universities you are interested in and which degree interests you the most and then look at their entry requirements - not all universities accept Access diplomas.

Once you find a university that does accept Access diplomas, find out what units they require you to study - then get in touch with the admissions department for that university and either ask which Access diplomas they accept, or tell them which Access course you were considering taking and they will say if they accept it or not. Generally, most universities will accept any Access course that includes the units (and the right amount of credits studied) they ask for, but always check.

Access courses usually take a year (full-time study) or two years (part-time).

IMO, you're only 17, you have PLENTY of time, if you can now afford it why not start your A-Levels somewhere else in September this year? That gives you far more flexibility in terms of uni choices as all universities accept A-Levels. I would definitely look into re-completing your A-Levels (from scratch if necessary).
I think at only 17 you'd be much better off going to college and doing a levels. You'd have far more options if you change your mind about what you want to do. Out of interest why do you want to do an access course rather than a levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamiefromipswich
I think at only 17 you'd be much better off going to college and doing a levels. You'd have far more options if you change your mind about what you want to do. Out of interest why do you want to do an access course rather than a levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well access courses are only 1 year so they have an advantage there. Plus if you're a bit examophobic that can be another bonus. Having said that A-levels are a far more recognizable qualification. There are people on my course at 19 but I think 18 is below the age limit.

As for LSE a quick google...

A level entry requirement Access to HE requirement A*AA/AAA/AAB Complete the Access to Higher Education Diploma with 30 Level 3 credits at Distinction (all of which must be subject based) plus 15 at Merit or Pass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending