The Student Room Group

How can i improve my bench press?

Just turned 17 a month ago and i can bench 50kg, but in my opinion that is nowhere near what i want to achieve. Does anyone know how to increase weight on bench press fast? In addition should i bench every time i work my chest?
Bench 50kg
DL 100kg
Squat 75kg
Eat more follow a solid program and train hard. Your bench isn't close to maxing out due to other weaknesses and it's actually not bad at all if you're only squatting 75 and deadlifting 100. I'd be much more concerned with those two.
Original post by jxden
Just turned 17 a month ago and i can bench 50kg, but in my opinion that is nowhere near what i want to achieve. Does anyone know how to increase weight on bench press fast? In addition should i bench every time i work my chest?
Bench 50kg
DL 100kg
Squat 75kg

Eat more food to gain weight.
Eat more. Get a better programme
There's no rush. You've got your whole life ahead of you to add weight to your lifts. If you're just lifting do a program such as 5x5 strong lifts or starting strength.

Eat lots. Sleep well. REST.
Eat the life out of your kitchen
I'm surprised at myself I've been doing weights on average 6 reps of bench press and deadlifts for about 6 weeks and I can now do 27 press ups, I struggled to do 12 before the weight training and I've not done press ups since then. Thing is since low reps increase power I wouldn't of thought it would increase my number of pressups I can do by that much as I though press ups were more about stamina :/
Original post by jxden
Bench 50kg
DL 100kg
Squat 75kg

Of course you should.

I used Jonnie Candito's 4-week program to increase strength and it worked really well, if you're mainly concerned with strength in the main lifts.

Edit: wait the benching every time is bad advice as it depends on your goals and program so ignore that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Push the bar straight up to reduce the movement distance.
Practice your technique! Heavy lifting is a combination of skill and muscular work, so you learn how to perform the movement most efficiently.and Identify your weaknesses so that you can train appropriately.
Original post by surveen
Push the bar straight up to reduce the movement distance.
Practice your technique! Heavy lifting is a combination of skill and muscular work, so you learn how to perform the movement most efficiently.and Identify your weaknesses so that you can train appropriately.

No,

A bench press shouldn't be a completely vertical bar path (as in straight up and down) on neither the decent or ascent, it's more diagonal or J-like for some people.

OP, eat more, and bench more. No need for accessory work at your level.
Original post by jxden
Bench 50kg
DL 100kg
Squat 75kg

Damn, your lifts are fairly close to mine and I've been lifting for 1 year, 8 months :laugh:

How long have you been lifting for? How much do you weigh?
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Damn, your lifts are fairly close to mine and I've been lifting for 1 year, 8 months :laugh:

How long have you been lifting for? How much do you weigh?

What are your lifts?
Original post by Angry cucumber
What are your lifts?

Don't judge me :laugh:

Bench 70kg x5 reps,
Deadlift 120kg x5 reps,
Squat 90kg x5 reps,
OHP 50kg x5 reps.

^ This is at 69.3kg average weigh in last week. I've never gone for 1 rep max before though I will at the end of my bulk 73.5kg end of June.

I started lifting at 48kg body weight(anorexic) at 5'9.5 so its taken me obviously longer to reach some people's starting strengths, hence why everyone's journey is different. :tongue:

I'm still small compared to where I want to be in 5-6 years time from today.
I'm proud but never satisfied as are most people :lol: Wbu? @Lifts etc
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't judge me :laugh:

Bench 70kg x5 reps,
Deadlift 120kg x5 reps,
Squat 90kg x5 reps,
OHP 50kg x5 reps.

^ This is at 69.3kg average weigh in last week. I've never gone for 1 rep max before though I will at the end of my bulk 73.5kg end of June.

I started lifting at 48kg body weight(anorexic) at 5'9.5 so its taken me obviously longer to reach some people's starting strengths, hence why everyone's journey is different. :tongue:

I'm still small compared to where I want to be in 5-6 years time from today.
I'm proud but never satisfied as are most people :lol: Wbu? @Lifts etc

I'm the same height; I weigh around 83-84kg. 115kg in comp CGBP. Deadlift probably could get 200, but I don't max. OHP 1rm predictor is around 80kg, I've done 75.

Been lifting 2.5 years, with several lengthy layoffs in there

I'd recommend you keep bulking or do a short recomp and then go again, at your stage and weight still, you don't need to cut!

Good luck on your journey and congrats on sticking your middle finger to anorexia
Original post by Angry cucumber
I'm the same height; I weigh around 83-84kg. 115kg in comp CGBP. Deadlift probably could get 200, but I don't max. OHP 1rm predictor is around 80kg, I've done 75.

Been lifting 2.5 years, with several lengthy layoffs in there

I'd recommend you keep bulking or do a short recomp and then go again, at your stage and weight still, you don't need to cut!

Good luck on your journey and congrats on sticking your middle finger to anorexia

Thanks, I appreciate it and its nice to look back at pictures time from time and think "was I really that small?" :laugh: I have been considering it though its all mental as I can notice my body composition changing slowly on the bulk #feelsbadman :bawling:

I'm still in the 13% body fat range but I'm nowhere near as :drool: I was at 10% bodyfat :frown:
I'm planning to bulk to 73.5kg cut to 68kg which would be 2 years of lifting.
Then bulk and cut over the years and go 68-71kg (3 years lifting), 71-74kg(4 years lifting), 74-76.5(5 years lifting), 76.5-78.5/79kg (6 year lifting) etc and my long term goal would be to have a FFMI score of 23.5-24.

I care more about my mental being and don't care if it takes me longer to reach certain lifts/physiques than others providing I'm happy with my body along the journey. That's the whole point after alll = Longevity in the game.

My 3 years lifting goal would be:
Bench: 80-85kg x5 reps,
Deadlift: 140kg x5 reps, (them 3 plate doe :drool: )
Squat: 105kg x5 reps.
OHP: 60kg x5 reps.

Do you have like yearly lift goals or do you just care more about improving your weak points in your physique?
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks, I appreciate it and its nice to look back at pictures time from time and think "was I really that small?" :laugh: I have been considering it though its all mental as I can notice my body composition changing slowly on the bulk #feelsbadman :bawling:

I'm still in the 13% body fat range but I'm nowhere near as :drool: I was at 10% bodyfat :frown:
Then bulk and cut over the years and go 68-71kg (3 years lifting), 71-74kg(4 years lifting), 74-76.5(5 years lifting), 76.5-78.5/79kg (6 year lifting) etc and my long term goal would be to have a FFMI score of 23.5-24.

I care more about my mental being and don't care if it takes me longer to reach certain lifts/physiques than others providing I'm happy with my body along the journey. That's the whole point after alll = Longevity in the game.

Do you have like yearly lift goals or do you just care more about improving your weak points in your physique?

I don't think you've got enough size to be :drool: tbh, I don't really and I'm a fair bit stronger. Realistically at your height, there's little to no reason why with a bit of hard work and gaining a few more kilos (like get to 75-77) you couldn't be up around 2 plates on bench etc in little to no time, you need more to show off! I did it in my first year. You should have your squat closer to your deadlift too imo too. You get your quickest gains when you're at your weakest, just hammer progression and you'll be fine, as long as you're on a good programme.

I try to get a PB a session and stay injury free. Those are my 2 goals atm, even during my cut where I lost 5-6kg.

If you really want you could hit those goals in less than 6 months, easily less than 3 for squat and deadlift. What's your programming atm? Props for getting through anorexia though :smile:
rest assured that no matter how bad your bench press is you'll almost certainly make better gains than i have!

'bench more, eat more' is the standard advice for poor bench, but obviously that presupposes you're on some kind of sensible program

Quick Reply

Latest