The Student Room Group

Therapeutic radiography

Hi all,

Hope someone can help.... I am a mature student enrolled on an access course in September. I am hoping to apply to study therapeutic radiography the following year. Could someone advise how much physics/chemistry there is on the course? Keep hearing different things. My knowledge of this area is limited. Being rather a long time since I sat my GCSEs, maths and science were not strong points.
I am thinking of taking the health access as opposed to the science (have a place with both, uni have said either are suitable) science wise the health contains only human physiology & health, compared to the science which would be biology, chemistry physics etc. I feel I might struggle with this, so if both get me where I want to be I don't want to make it harder than need be, although if there is a large amount of physics/Chem on the degree course, then maybe I need to to chose the science.?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Thanks
Original post by Sleepdream
Hi all,

Hope someone can help.... I am a mature student enrolled on an access course in September. I am hoping to apply to study therapeutic radiography the following year. Could someone advise how much physics/chemistry there is on the course? Keep hearing different things. My knowledge of this area is limited. Being rather a long time since I sat my GCSEs, maths and science were not strong points.
I am thinking of taking the health access as opposed to the science (have a place with both, uni have said either are suitable) science wise the health contains only human physiology & health, compared to the science which would be biology, chemistry physics etc. I feel I might struggle with this, so if both get me where I want to be I don't want to make it harder than need be, although if there is a large amount of physics/Chem on the degree course, then maybe I need to to chose the science.?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Thanks

Hi I've moved this to the Healthcare forum - if you look in the forum you should find other threads from current applicants and students of radiography. If noone replies here then asking someone directly within the stickied threads will usually get an answer (if you quote their posts then they'll get a little reminder that you've asked them a question).

It might also be worth checking out the Mature Students forum if you want to chat to fellow access students
Hi, there is some maths and physics on the course but not a huge amount. You'll be expected to learn how a linac works and some particle physics (atomic structure and which particles are used for treatment etc). As far as maths goes, you'll learn to calculate treatment doses and there is basic mental maths everyday on placement (addition and subtraction). There will likely be lots of mature students who are in a similar boat to you so I wouldn't worry too much :smile:

Unis will need you to do a certain number of credits (I think it's about a third but don't quote me!) in science so make sure you meet this if you choose the health course. I know the uni have already told you it's suitable but they have been known to change their minds!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest