The Student Room Group

Interview Help Therapeutic Radiography

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had an interview for therapeutic radiography course and could assist?

I have done research on the role and know why I would like to become a therapeutic Radiographer.

I've listed the NHS values with work and university examples. E.g. 'working together for patients' using a teamwork example.

If there's any other areas I could go further with I would appreciate the help!
Reply 1
I'm from another healthcare discipline, and I think it would be a good idea to look at medical school interview resources, because there are just so many of them, the core values you want to focus on are the same. Practice some of those 'what would you do in this scenario' questions maybe? And practice other classic interview questions such as 'what are your weaknesses'...Shadow a clinician maybe? Even just have a phone chat with them to learn more about the role, given the covid situation. These are just some ideas at the top of my head, don't really know much about your subject area.
Ultimately you want to show that you are capable of finishing the degree, and you are the one who would fit in that therapeutic radiography department.
1st year RONC student here. Yep, NHS values & the 6 C's are always good to know and if you can link it to the Francis Report even better.

Why do you want to be a Therapeutic Radiographer?

What does the role of a TR involve? If you have been able to do some work experience in an RT department then you should have some idea

What is Radiotherapy? Being able to show a basic understanding of the principles of how it works.

Be aware of current issues around the NHS, RT and cancer treatment. Obviously COVID is the biggie right now and having a horrific impact on cancer treatment.

"Tell us about yourself." What are your strengths and weaknesses? What do you like to do in your spare time?

Anything that you put in your personal statement be prepared to answer questions on.

"Any questions?" Be prepared with a couple, if they've already answered them, tell them so.

Jo Macnamara (course lead at SHU) is a great follow on Twitter, she's constantly posting info about the latest in radiotherapy and info and advice to current and prospective students

https://twitter.com/SHURadiotherapy
Original post by ncbt
I'm from another healthcare discipline, and I think it would be a good idea to look at medical school interview resources, because there are just so many of them, the core values you want to focus on are the same. Practice some of those 'what would you do in this scenario' questions maybe? And practice other classic interview questions such as 'what are your weaknesses'...Shadow a clinician maybe? Even just have a phone chat with them to learn more about the role, given the covid situation. These are just some ideas at the top of my head, don't really know much about your subject area.
Ultimately you want to show that you are capable of finishing the degree, and you are the one who would fit in that therapeutic radiography department.

Thank you for your advice!
Original post by HellomynameisNev
1st year RONC student here. Yep, NHS values & the 6 C's are always good to know and if you can link it to the Francis Report even better.

What does the role of a TR involve? If you have been able to do some work experience in an RT department then you should have some idea

What is Radiotherapy? Being able to show a basic understanding of the principles of how it works.

Be aware of current issues around the NHS, RT and cancer treatment. Obviously COVID is the biggie right now and having a horrific impact on cancer treatment.

"Tell us about yourself." What are your strengths and weaknesses? What do you like to do in your spare time?

Anything that you put in your personal statement be prepared to answer questions on.

"Any questions?" Be prepared with a couple, if they've already answered them, tell them so.

Jo Macnamara (course lead at SHU) is a great follow on Twitter, she's constantly posting info about the latest in radiotherapy and info and advice to current and prospective students

Original post by therapeutics2021

No worries, forgot to say Good Luck! Where are you applying to?
No worries, forgot to say Good Luck! Where are you applying to?

Thank you 🙂 I have conditional offers at Sheffield Hallam and Hertfordshire since the original post 🎉 and have an upcoming interview with Liverpool. I am waiting on St George's and AECC to get back to me.

I am overall feeling very positive and can't wait to start the course in September 🙂
Thank you 🙂 I have conditional offers at Sheffield Hallam and Hertfordshire since the original post 🎉 and have an upcoming interview with Liverpool. I am waiting on St George's and AECC to get back to me.

I am overall feeling very positive and can't wait to start the course in September 🙂

Excellent news, maybe I'll see you at SHU next year :smile:

This really helped. I had my first interview yesterday with lsbu who are my first choice and they gave me an offer in the afternoon
Original post by jimsy12
This really helped. I had my first interview yesterday with lsbu who are my first choice and they gave me an offer in the afternoon

Congrats! Glad it was some help.
Congrats! Glad it was some help.

I got given an offer of 30 distinctions and 15 passes in my access to he course
Excellent news, maybe I'll see you at SHU next year :smile:

Hopefully yes! 12 more distinctions to get 🤞🏻
Hopefully yes! 12 more distinctions to get 🤞🏻

what was your offer to shu for?
Original post by jimsy12
what was your offer to shu for?

15 distinctions, which has changed since I last looked online, it was 15 distinctions and 30 merits.
15 distinctions, which has changed since I last looked online, it was 15 distinctions and 30 merits.

My offer to lsbu is 30 distinctions and 15 passes. Good luck :smile:
Original post by jimsy12
My offer to lsbu is 30 distinctions and 15 passes. Good luck :smile:

Oh good luck to you too 🙂
Reply 16
Original post by username4026796

How was the interview? I have mine on Monday and am feeling nervous. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply 17
How did the interview go?
Im in year 12 and i also wanted to study radiography at university. Im going to be submitting my applications this Winter and im very nervous. Would you mind telling me what you wrote on your personal statement aswell?

Quick Reply

Latest