The Student Room Group

Therapeutic Radiography - is it competitive

Original post by RadTherapy
Hello,

I'm in my first year of training as a postgraduate therapeutic radiographer at a University where both the BSC and PGDip option is available.

If anyone wants any advice or guidance on a university application, university life, university work, expectations, clinical placement and funding, I am more than happy to help.

Anything big or small, ask away :smile:

Hi,

I’m really stuck on what to go with.
Sometimes I think about biochemistry but recently I’ve been looking into therapeutic radiography and really want to apply

The only issue is there are only a few universities that offer the course and all are far from where I live and I’m worried I won’t get in.

Would you say that Therapeutic radiography and oncology is a competitive course?

What university would you recommend?

And also do you really enjoy it as in how did you find the course throughout your uni years?
Original post by amaarahafzal37
Hi,

I’m really stuck on what to go with.
Sometimes I think about biochemistry but recently I’ve been looking into therapeutic radiography and really want to apply

The only issue is there are only a few universities that offer the course and all are far from where I live and I’m worried I won’t get in.

Would you say that Therapeutic radiography and oncology is a competitive course?

What university would you recommend?

And also do you really enjoy it as in how did you find the course throughout your uni years?

We've made your post into a new thread as the OP of the thread you posted in is no longer active on the forum. :smile:

Therapeutic radiography (also listed as radiotherapy and oncology) isn't particularly competitive to get in to - a lot of the courses were in clearing last year. It isn't a well-known course yet it offers career security as there is a national shortage of radiotherapists. It doesn't matter which uni you train at as long as the course is HCPC accredited (which all of them were last time I looked).

Choose a uni where you would like to live for three years and investigate where the placements are for each uni. Also ask about timetables and how many holiday weeks you get as healthcare students do longer terms - it does vary quite a lot between unis.

If you are eligible for student finance and study at a uni in England (not Wales, Scotland or N Ireland), then you would be eligible to apply for additional financial support from the NHS Learning Support Fund. This would give you an annual training grant of £6,000 per year and other benefits.

Use the following to search for courses:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/course-finder

Quick Reply

Latest