The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE vs UCL

Hey everyone :smile:
Just recently received an offer from UCL for maths, and I also have one for LSE (mathematics and economics).

I like both universities, and I cannot decide which to firm! Prestige and job prospects isn't the issue here (because both are excellent universities with high job prospects) so of course, I will be greatly focusing on which will provide me a better education and social life.

Any thoughts? I know LSE doesn't have as great of a mathematics department so that of course is something drawing me away from it

I'm also not very into freshers activities and drinking in general, so I would like a university where maybe more students share the same thoughts about these activities!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go for LSE if you want to aim for a career in a finance related industry!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Hi! I'm stuck in this debate too but for Bsc Social Anthropology, I'm also not that fussed by freshers activities & drinking (I'm teetotal). Very torn as they are both great universities. I guess one small factor is that UCL was recently rated 5th best university in Europe whereas LSE was 6th haha
Reply 3
UCL's maths department is literally a Shack on top if the SU, and at the open day the admissions tutor told me they were quite underfunded these last couple of years. Lse has a more impressive maths department, and is more reputable than UCL- especially internationally.

Job prospects: obviously LSE > UCL

Global rankings don't mean anything: a lot of people know they're clearly illogical, especially when UCL is placed higher than Imperial, and not the other way around xD
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Swiftie
Hi! I'm stuck in this debate too but for Bsc Social Anthropology, I'm also not that fussed by freshers activities & drinking (I'm teetotal). Very torn as they are both great universities. I guess one small factor is that UCL was recently rated 5th best university in Europe whereas LSE was 6th haha

LSE is greatly more respected in journalism, finance and politics. UCL is focussed on engineering and sciences. LSE is the second best in the world (to harvard) for social sciences - according to QS world rankings. And has the best starting salary in the UK.
Reply 5
Original post by Jamie S
LSE is greatly more respected in journalism, finance and politics. UCL is focussed on engineering and sciences. LSE is the second best in the world (to harvard) for social sciences - according to QS world rankings. And has the best starting salary in the UK.

Thank you that's really interesting - I'm leaning towards LSE at the moment anyway so that's given me some good food for thought. I've been working in journalism for 2 years so I imagine that's where I'll end up post-university.
I really don't understand why people think going to LSE automatically enhances your job prospects over going to UCL. The course content should be the most important factor here.
Original post by You!Me!Dancing!
I really don't understand why people think going to LSE automatically enhances your job prospects over going to UCL. The course content should be the most important factor here.

Agred. Hence why I said in my original post that prestige or job prospects weren't really the concern here :P I am starting to lean towards LSE because many have told me UCL's maths and physical sciences department is very underfunded and I just don't know how the course will go at UCL...:frown:
Original post by frognation22
Agred. Hence why I said in my original post that prestige or job prospects weren't really the concern here :P I am starting to lean towards LSE because many have told me UCL's maths and physical sciences department is very underfunded and I just don't know how the course will go at UCL...:frown:

To the contrary, LSE's Maths department isn't that good. But that doesn't matter (in your case). You should go have a look at which uni you generally like more and what course suits you more.
Maths & Econ only prepares you for a certain direction (finance) and it is not a "full" maths course, as in getting the mathematical knowledge (see course modules). A general Maths course (eg UCL) gives you a lot more job opportunities if you decide to go into a different direction as the degree is very broad.

Lastly, that "LSE >> UCL job prospects" or "LSE has XX starting salary" is just 100% bs. If you are a smart enough person, you will get any job with a UCL degree that someone with an LSE degree can get.
Reply 9
Original post by TheSnazzyMan
To the contrary, LSE's Maths department isn't that good. But that doesn't matter (in your case). You should go have a look at which uni you generally like more and what course suits you more.
Maths & Econ only prepares you for a certain direction (finance) and it is not a "full" maths course, as in getting the mathematical knowledge (see course modules). A general Maths course (eg UCL) gives you a lot more job opportunities if you decide to go into a different direction as the degree is very broad.

Lastly, that "LSE >> UCL job prospects" or "LSE has XX starting salary" is just 100% bs. If you are a smart enough person, you will get any job with a UCL degree that someone with an LSE degree can get.

I'll leave this here for you

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/121040/a-ranking-of-the-most-targeted-universities-by-investment-banks-on-europe/
Original post by TheSnazzyMan

Do people on this website not understand averages? LSE has the highest graduate salary in the country, this is not "100% bs" this is a fact. This means that the average student at LSE will earn more than the average student at all other universities in the UK.
Original post by anonwinner
Do people on this website not understand averages? LSE has the highest graduate salary in the country, this is not "100% bs" this is a fact. This means that the average student at LSE will earn more than the average student at all other universities in the UK.

I was just referring to this as a "pro"-argument saying "LSE has XX salary -> you need to go to LSE", not that the statement itself is wrong. No need to bash on here lol
Original post by anonwinner

I agree that LSE is better than UCL in terms of academics and graduate salary, but I'm sure anyone could still get a great maths education at UCL-maybe not as good, but yeah that is what I am debating after all :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
UCL is just a place for LSE rejects to go to most of the time...

QED
Original post by Confusedschubert
UCL is just a place for LSE rejects to go to most of the time...

QED

This^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending